Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range to Accuracy Test Rifle Ammo

Smitty79

I've only shot one 3 gun match with a .223/5.56 rifle. I plan on doing more this year. Since ammo is more consistently available, I want to settle in on one type of ammo that my rifle likes. I have:

Federal AE .223, PPU 5.56, PMC Bronze .223 and Wolf Gold .223.

I don't expect to compete beyond 330yds. My scope's (TAC 30) reticule assumes a 100 yd zero, so that's what I am planning to use.

What range should I test accuracy at?

I'd try 1,2 and 300 if you have the 300 yd distance available. It's nice to know what it does at each range. You might find that you could cover them all better with a different zero than 100 yards. You might consider a 200yd zero.

I personally test loads at 100 due to consistency. The further you are shooting the more changes in wind or slight shooter errors will effect your groups. You could potentially have your best load open up to appear to be a bad group because of different factors at 300 yards.

I personally test loads at 100 due to consistency. The further you are shooting the more changes in wind or slight shooter errors will effect your groups. You could potentially have your best load open up to appear to be a bad group because of different factors at 300 yards.

x2

The first thing u need to do is settle on a load. Other than the wolf gold, I have shot a lot of the other factory stuff you mention and had no issues.

The neat thing about these BDC scopes is that they are pretty close to correct for most factory loads. At least "minute of flasher" my tac 30, when zeroed with either the AE or PMC at 100 hits flashers with appropriate holds out to 400.

What I found to be important was zeroing at 100. With a 2.5 center Moa dot, that can be tricky. I used 3" square shoot and see targets and bracketed the dot in the middle to maintain consisted poa.

Edited by Lead-Head

The biggest mistake that I see in matches is that the rifle shooters don't know what there rifles do at distances. It is good to me, since it helps shooters that do know will place higher in the standings. You need to shoot at all distances, as well as angles. Try your rifle at a 90 degree angle at 100 yards. If you ever run into it in a match, I am telling you that you will beat good rifle shooters that has never done it before.

The biggest mistake that I see in matches is that the rifle shooters don't know what there rifles do at distances. It is good to me, since it helps shooters that do know will place higher in the standings. You need to shoot at all distances, as well as angles. Try your rifle at a 90 degree angle at 100 yards. If you ever run into it in a match, I am telling you that you will beat good rifle shooters that has never done it before.

What do you mean by "90 degree angle at 100 yards"?

Roll you and your rifle over 90 degrees right or left and know where you hit. Example: under a low barricade or a narrow horizontal port.

BoomerShooter had a nice thread that touched on that topic.

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php/topic/10041-what-distance-to-zero-angled-iron-sights/