Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

%#!& SLP

actionshooter

I shouldn't say that, its run great for 3+ years with a lot of rounds through her. But I'm having a problem and maybe someone can throw some ideas at me.

My SLP started malfunctioning during a match (of course). The bolt is over running the carrier, or that's what appears to be happening. Every 3-4 round the bolt will close on an empty chamber and a round will be sitting on the lifter/carrier, I cycle the bolt manually and it lifts normal.

couple of questions...

Is this a part that wears out? What else could it be? And are these parts the same as the Winchester X2?

Usually if the bolt closes empty (meaning it ejected the round), but the next one is on the carrier (meaning it released from the mag tube) that means the bolt did not come far enough to the rear to engage the carrier dog. Usually because the gun is dirty. If you slowly cycle the bolt manually, pull it back far enough to see the ejector and let it forward. The carrier probably won't come up. That is about as far as the bolt is recoiling. Inertia guns act just like this with too light of loads. It is possible that low power loads are to blame, or shooting light loads with the heavy piston. But usually just dirty.

My son's brand new SX3 has done this a couple of times. Gun probably had less than 300 rounds at this time. Not sure we ever found the exact cause, but it seemed like if we over lubed the area between the bolt and the carrier where it slides this happened. We have since quit running a large quantity of lube in this area and the problem has stopped for the last few hundred rounds. Not sure this helps, but it now works well.

gerritm

Carrier dog spring is bad, you need to use two glock extractor springs in place, take one of the springs and cut 2-3 coils off of it. It will last way longer than the factory spring. Also make sure that your carried dog spring wire isn't bent out of shape or starting to flatten out. When that thing breaks in match you will have hella problems!!

Hadley O.

I did the (2) Glock extractor spring mod for a while. Worked fine for a while, but then the gun started up pretty darn badly.....the worse it ever acted up. Enough that I was spending a lot of time reading on which shotgun to buy next. Ended up sticking a new factory spring back in and no problems since.

Regardless, springs wear out, so keep spares around!

Edited by AustinWolv

You have to make sure that the carrier dog pin that guides the spring doesnt get out of shape. I always keep a new one around to compare to those that come into the shop for work. It's also worth noting that I have seen the attachment pin that holds the transfer lever onto the lifter gets worn and causes issues as well. Couple all these with a dirty gun and you get multiple malfunctions on a given day.

Hadley O.

I did the (2) Glock extractor spring mod for a while. Worked fine for a while, but then the gun started up pretty darn badly.....the worse it ever acted up. Enough that I was spending a lot of time reading on which shotgun to buy next. Ended up sticking a new factory spring back in and no problems since.

Regardless, springs wear out, so keep spares around!

When I had my SLP every year I tore it down for a real serious cleaning and replaced all the springs. Only way to keep it reliable. All the springs were under $20 from Brownells.