Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel help added video

Dewberry

Running a practice stage toady I noticed I hit every steel on exactly the second shot. I don't think I was rushing the first shot to much my shot splits sound pretty constant. Steel was decent seized knock downs at about 10 yards.

Is there something I'm missing? I have a video if it would help diagnose the problem.

Here is the YouTube video of the run

Edited by Dewberry

I find it very important to have a different sight focus on active steel. It's because your brain tells you to watch the steel to fall and in that case you shoot over top of the steel. It's very important to have a super strong sight focus for steel as well as not rely on the ding as well, call your shot and move on.

Thank you everyone for the helpful comments, I added the video

I am shooting a M&P 9mm with a 4 inch barrel and factory 115 gr ammo.

I am also making it a priority to do some reading in the FAQ about calling shots. I understand the concept just need to learn how to do it.

Edited by Dewberry

A couple of points.

grip looks pretty good.

your arms though are very straight. sometimes a slight bend can help.

you tilt your head just a little differently on some shots (almost looking over the sights, this may cause some fliers). do you wear prescription glasses? or should you be?

most of the first shots that missed went high, perhaps a small flinch. if it was trigger jerk they'd most likely be going low.

Having said all that, it looked like you were just pushing the first shot just a tad too quickly for where you are at right now. dial it back a notch and you'll probably go back to hitting them first shot and end up with a faster time.

the calling the shots thing is partly visualisation, half learned behavior/muscle memory and partly watching the sights through the shot and the follow through.

it's about know how that shot went. so knowing if I put the sights in the right spot, am holding the pistol the right way and squeeze the rigger correctly I can visualise where my shot will land. and knowing immediately when the shot breaks if something went wrong (say I jerked the trigger and I know that shot is a D or a miss).

On steel you shouldn't be waiting for a hit to sound or the steel to fall but should be moving on to the next one. otherwise you get a habit of waiting for steel to fall. that can hurt a lot at say 20 yards as it takes a while. you should shoot at it, call it and move on straight away, if at the end of an array you see in your vision that one is still up and points are important over time in that stage then by all means cycle back and shoot it.

If you rotate your elbows out a bit the gun will point lower so your natural point of aim will come down. I bet you aren't aiming because the misses are high and your elbows are down which means you are putting pressure on the bottom of the grip which pushes the barrel up.

If you can see the front sight jumping up out of the notch with each shot then you can crank up the speed on steel. Calling the shot is crucial. The ultimate goal is to eliminate blinking but to start off you have to push the blink back, it will not go away overnight. I'm certainly no pro, but I've had a few minor vision breakthroughs and believe me seeing that sight jump up on recoil is unreal. You'll swear that you are watching and paying attention. Then you see it and wonder how you ever hit anything with a pistol.

Do you know when you miss as the gun goes off or only because you hear no ring?

I think that your might not be getting a good sight picture after the transition. I find that when I try to run a row of steel quickly, when I miss, I think back and find I didn't have a good sight picture on that shot (no memory of sight picture or tracking sights). I find it's easy to get caught up in the rush and pull the trigger early, especially if you have a few good hits prior.

Thank you everyone for the help, sorry for the slow replies I've been swamped with midterms.

I'm glad my grip is good at least I'm doing something right.

I wear prescription contacts and I had them in.

The head thing is something I'm working on. I have a tendency to move my head down and to the right till my cheek touches my shoulder, idk where it come from but I'm working on it.

As far as the arms I would say they are just shy of being straight but I'm going to work on outting a little more bend into them.

I don't think I'm calling my shots, I can call my shots when shooting rifle in 3 gun but I think the reticle of the scope makes that much easier than iron sights of the rifle. Also I put a lot more thought into rifle shots where as I am more on "auto pilot" when shooting pistol.

Maybe you are trying to look over your sights as you breakf your shot too see whether you hit the steel. There is no C Zone on steel and if you are waiting to see it fall or hear it ring then you are doing it wrong. Stay on your sights and ensure than your focus is there and not trying to cheat and look over watching for the fall that will never come.

Edited by alma