Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WOA or Nordic barrel?

spd522

I need another 18" barrel for a TI project. I have found a 1/7 twist mid gas White Oak Armament barrel and a 1/8 twist rifle gas Nordic barrel. Price is about the same.

I have no experience with either but both seem to get good reviews. Thoughts anyone?

Craig

I may be a Criterion fan, but I also love Nordic barrels. My Nordic happens to be a 16" mid-length gas on a Carbon Arms built upper. I use my Criterion 18" upper for most competition, but the Nordic barrel upper is for shoot houses and other shorter range stuff. But it doesn't give up anything in intrinsic accuracy to my 18". It shoots under 1/2" groups with Nosler 55gr BT. Seriously, that's crazy good.

My 18" may 'graduate' up to a Designated Marksman Match upper and then I'd shoot the Nordic 16" for 3-gun.

Given that one is rifle length gas and the other is a mid, I suppose I'd go for the Nordic. 18" mid-length seems like an awfully long dwell time. At least much more than needed.

Although it's a tough call with great brand reputations for both, I'd give the nod to the Nordic model. I think it has the better feature set of the two.

I have the 18" WOA, but I ended up with a 1/8 twist SPR. It was a limited run that they did and when i called during the panic, they had one on hand so I bought it. I love it, its a great, accurate barrel, little on the heavy side given the profile but I can deal with it.. I can't say anything for Nordic as I have never owned one but will one day. Maybe when.I shoot this one out ill get a Nordic.

WOA have a very large gas port. Nordics are on the minimum sized. If you are going to run adjustable gas then it wont matter, but if not, the Nordic will be softer shooting. I owned two WOA barrels and they shot lights out with 77gr SMK's but both HATED 69SMK's and 55gr hot M193. I could handload 55gr with good powder and slower and they shot them well.

I switched to an 18" JP barrel and am happier.

My 18" WOA shoots PMC Bronze at 5/8. I have had very good luck with WOA. Do know that neither company make the barrel blanks. Both companies are top notch companies to deal with and both stand behind their products.

WOA have a very large gas port. Nordics are on the minimum sized. If you are going to run adjustable gas then it wont matter, but if not, the Nordic will be softer shooting. I owned two WOA barrels and they shot lights out with 77gr SMK's but both HATED 69SMK's and 55gr hot M193. I could handload 55gr with good powder and slower and they shot them well.

I switched to an 18" JP barrel and am happier.

I have no experience with woa but my Nordic shoots great with mk193 and 69 smk, personally I think either barrel will be a good choice for 3 gun

With mine - 18" Nordic, rifle gas - I'm using the Carbon Arms gas block - non adjustable - and also their gas tube (which you can get installed on the gas block, I did) and it runs very well.

Edited by Steve RA

A friend of mine has a WOA barrel and likes it. But saying they build barrels for 600-1000 yards does not mean they will be better for our game. Generally guns build for other games like bench rest for example is that the barrels will be heavier and have tighter chambers and be less reliable. Don't fall into the trap of thinking since this barrel is built for shooting further than we shoot it will be just fine for three gun because that can be false.

Pat

A friend of mine has a WOA barrel and likes it. But saying they build barrels for 600-1000 yards does not mean they will be better for our game. Generally guns build for other games like bench rest for example is that the barrels will be heavier and have tighter chambers and be less reliable. Don't fall into the trap of thinking since this barrel is built for shooting further than we shoot it will be just fine for three gun because that can be false.

Pat

Your statement correct. But my statement is one based on experience, I have had 3 WOA barrels and they have been very similar, they shoot about .75 MOA with a 1-4 off bags. Did I mention I shoot those groups after burning through a 30 rounds mag to make sure the barrels shoot accurately ever after getting hot. I have had several other barrels that do not maintaine that type of accuracy when hot, such as BHW and DPMS.

Pat

Your statement correct. But my statement is one based on experience, I have had 3 WOA barrels and they have been very similar, they shoot about .75 MOA with a 1-4 off bags. Did I mention I shoot those groups after burning through a 30 rounds mag to make sure the barrels shoot accurately ever after getting hot. I have had several other barrels that do not maintaine that type of accuracy when hot, such as BHW and DPMS.

No WOA barrels are good. Just had a good friend go with another very popular barrel in another game designed around precision accuracy. That barrel turned out not to be reliable in three gun once it heated up or got dirty in slightest. Both my JP and my Nordic barrels shoot like that .75 moa with match bullets and 1.5 with my 55 grain Hornady ball rounds.

Pat