Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case bulging 147 gr bayou

PSSOH22

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why my cases are slightly bulging with 147 bayous. 85% drop right into the case gauge fine, my OAL is 1.135, I'm belling the cases enough so the bullet can sit in the case without me having to guide it into the seating die. The case is fine through the entire rotation until i seat the bullet.

I guess if there running through the gauge fine, it is just cosmetic, but I have never seen these kinds of issues before loading with 124's and the berrys 147's I had loaded previously.

The buldge you're seeing is extra lead that you may not have had if you loaded 124gr. The further you press down the more buldge become visible. The 9mm case thickens as you go to the bottom so you can see why you're 147gr would show more of an hourglass shape than a lighter bullet.

Unless it's causing plunk test failures (and at that OAL it shouldn't) I wouldn't sweat it. If it is, then check to make sure your seating plug is on the RN side. Using the FN side will cause issues with shaving lead and unbalanced rounds.

If it bothers you aesthetically or is causing feed issues, look into investing in a Lee Factory Crimp die.

I load those same bullets to 1.140-1.145 and do not get what I consider a bulge. That's why I was asking about a picture. Yours are seated slightly deeper and I agree seating deeper makes this more likely but I would be surprised if that 0.005" to 0.010" of additional depth would make that much difference.

I am personally not a fan of the idea of running them through a lee FCD although some people do that.

Think that's why the 147 FMJ factory rounds I've seen use a boat-tail bullet. They want to mid-case lumps to make us worry, regardless of the "ring" still being inside of max loaded round specs.

I use mixed brass and Bayou 147s. Some cases have a slight bulge and in some it is imperceptible. May also depend on how much your resizing die is sizing them down. I am using a Redding Titanium Carbide sizing die. FWIW, have recently chronoed several different load recipes with these bullets and different powders. My standard deviation average was 14. This is with mixed brass and mixed bulging. Also, some of my rounds are a tad snug in the case gauge but easily pass the plunk test in my barrel.

The buldge you're seeing is extra lead that you may not have had if you loaded 124gr. The further you press down the more buldge become visible. The 9mm case thickens as you go to the bottom so you can see why you're 147gr would show more of an hourglass shape than a lighter bullet.

Unless it's causing plunk test failures (and at that OAL it shouldn't) I wouldn't sweat it. If it is, then check to make sure your seating plug is on the RN side. Using the FN side will cause issues with shaving lead and unbalanced rounds.

If it bothers you aesthetically or is causing feed issues, look into investing in a Lee Factory Crimp die.

They pretty much all drop into the gauge. Every single round I have tried has dropped right into the barrel with no issues. I have been loading for a year or two and never saw the issues before. How could the lee crimp die help with my problems? I ask because I am having the issues at a station before it gets crimped. I just don't see how that would help??? Excuse my ignorance

Also, are you sure I should be using the rn? The bayous are a flat point. I have been using the flat point seating die

I think he is referring to the bulge the bullet is causing not the Glock or guppy bulge at the bottom of the case. At least that is what I got out of reading the OP's post.

Yes i am referring to a bulge from the bullet not towards the bottom of the case. It seems like the general consensus is that it's acceptable which I thought as well. I just don't have much experience with the 147 bullet and figured it would be better to ask and get some different opinions

As v1911 stated above, there is simply more of the bullet down in the case with the 147 since it is longer than a 124 gr. I think of it as another plus to 147s since I know the bullet is getting gripped nicely thereby further reducing any chance of bullet setback.