Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A question about wet tumbling and the RL550B

My RL550B has been in storage for more than a decade due to a combination of work/family/etc. issues. I have taken it apart and cleaned it, re-aligned it with the tool and I'm in the process of getting it back in working order to load 9mm, 45, 38/357, 44, 223, 308, & 30 Rem., and eventually others.

While on the phone with Dillon ordering missing and damaged parts, I mentioned that I had built a stainless steel pin wet tumbler and was very pleased with the results. The Dillon rep said not to use it with pistol brass as the powder funnel will stick to the super clean interior of the case and I would have to take the funnel out and clean it every few hundred rounds.

Has anyone had this happen? I can't envision how this could happen unless the funnel was rough or damaged.

How's that for a first post? I've been lurking for a while and haven't seen this question yet.

Thanks,

Steve

A little Lemi-shine, a little dawn, hot water, & .047 pins and tumble for 2 hours. I separate the pins from the brass, drain the water as best as I can, rinse twice, and toss the brass in the oven at 225F for 15 minutes. The brass comes out dry and looking like brand new.

So on the wet media, I have tried Lemi-shine and Oxyclean.. and that works great with about an hour run on VERY dirty range brass.

If you find that it is sticking once the brass is dry run it in the tumbler for 15 min (corn or Walnut) with a little Nu-Finish to put some wax on the case.

But on other topics, Welcome Steve. Let me know if you are looking for matches in VA to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, decap/resize for me before tumbling.

I use the following ratio for brilliant results:

1 - Gallon water

1 - .45 ACP of Lemishine

1 - 2 second squirt of Dawn (there is no substitute)

5 lbs of brass

3 lbs of stainless pellets.

Dry on beach towel with fan blowing across brass for 4 hours. Ready to load the next morning.

Edited by Brassaholic13

About the wet tumbling, do you decap before? I tried a batch and it took forever to dry, and the oven at 170 for 15 min turned the brass darker.

I think it is critical to decap prior to wet tumbling. I have had some primers corrode and stick to the brass if I tumble without decapping first. Had to throw those cases into the recycle bin.

I decap on and old single stage press with a universal decapping die. Works with everything I reload.

Thanks for the info. I like the final product much better when I decap first. Its worth the xtra step to me. On the cleaning formula, I run 6lbs brass to 8lbs pins 2-45 lemi shine, short squirt dawn and 1 gal water for 2 hrs. Pretty much the regular and they come out looking new. I have a small elec heater that I blow over the brass for 20 min & they are ready to load.

Try using an automotive liquid wash and wax product (Turtle Wax or other) instead of dish cleaner. It puts a very thin coat on the brass so the powder funnel won't stick, it sizes easily and the brass stays bright without quickly tarnishing.

Edited by leeshall

Try using an automotive liquid wash and wax product (Turtle Wax or other) instead of dish cleaner. It puts a very thin coat on the brass so the powder funnel won't stick, it sizes easily and the brass stays bright without quickly tarnishing.

has anybody else tried this, sounds like a good idea.

I use the STM tumbler system, and substitute Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax instead of Dawn...works like a champ. The brass is also decapped on a single stage prior to cleaning. I have a timer on the tumbler set for two hours. Once the brass has been cleaned this way, it cleans up very easily. Range pickup ("strange") brass will get nice and clean, and will have the showroom finish after the next run.

I don't bake mine, nor do I use hot water. It's plenty hot enough here in TX, so most of the time, I spread rinsed brass out on a towel and pat it dry as best as I can, then let it sit in a Gatorade cardboard tray (like the ones which come with the drinks when you buy a case of them from Sam's or Costco) in the sun to dry out. If it's nighttime or rainy, I'll let them sit in the garage, and I'll run a fan over them.

I use Flitz on the powder funnels, and periodically run a copper brush on the crimp die insert to get the little brass dust buildup removed. If I ever have to go back to corn cob and Nu Finish, or back to my ultrasonic cleaner, it'll just be a temporary thing until a replacement stainless steel pin wet cleaning system arrives.

Just a note if anyone has not tried this but after I wet tumble I put the brass in a cheap dehydrator for about 30-45 min and they are dry as a bone. I have two that I bought from wally world for $25 each and can dry 500 .308 rounds at a time. Only drawback is 9mm and .223 can fall between the trays to the bottom in the models that I have. But not enough of a hassle for me to change processes.

It's plenty hot enough here in TX, so most of the time, I spread rinsed brass out on a towel and pat it dry as best as I can,

Yep in Texas just sit them out in the sun. In 2.5 beers, not only was this batch of 2000 dry but too hot to hold in your hand.

IMG_20130727_144639_090_zpsd9095290.jpg