Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what else do i need?

Guys, I'm just getting started in 3 gun and am feeling a little inundated with all of the stuff that goes along with It. Firearms wise, I'm fine. I built a Seekins/JP rifle, picked up a MP pro and the only thing left factory is the barrel, and have an M2 to do some work to in order to be up to par.

My question is about all of the other extras. What holster to get, what belt, mag pouches, shell caddies, etc. I've been researching for a while and my head is just spinning. What do you guys recommend? I'm not really looking for base model products......I'm more of the "buy once, cry once" mentality.

Thanks

Brad

Safariland ELS is a good start. I'd get the Safariland ALS holster. DQ'ed a guy yesterday for a dropped loaded handgun, fell out of a cheap Springfield holster. Mag holders I just use Bladetech's. For shot shell caddies look at the Invictus Practical. I just ordered a 2.8 holds 8 rounds and you can load2 or quad load from it. Price includes a Safariland or Bladetech mount for quick removal.

I don't like anything quick removal for a holster, most aren't strong enough to handle a loaded handgun over a period of time. Also don't want to drop your handgun even in a holster

You could get a double belt system and have kydex holsters/mag holders for pistol and rifle mags made for you or order some pre-made holsters/mag holders. I like the Taccom quad loaders, but I would also suggest you get at least one traditional caddy to help you when it is a more advantageous to load out of, the traditional weak hand load 4 is very versatile.

My set up is a Bladetech DOH, 1 Safariland AR pouch, 1 Blackhawk double mag pouch, an inexpensive Choate 6 round traditional shotshell caddy, and a 16 round load 2 chest rig exactly like KY1911 sells. This is my typical match setup. I also have 4 Taccom quad load caddies that are doubled for my belt if there is a high round shotgun stage. Other than tha QL caddies, nothing is expensive, and all very serviceable. I can upgrade to better (maybe, or just more expensive) stuff, but don't see a pressing need to. However, I may like individual pistol mag pouches better, and maybe a positive retention holster.

My advice is you can safely get AR and pistol pouches, but buy or borrow some Choate caddies, while you check out which style you like best. You will always have them if you need more carrying capacity, plus cam lend them to new shooters down the road. Otherwise, you may buy a bunch once, and cry because you don't like several of them. JMHO

I was in the same boat around the holidays and I ended up going with an ELS set up. I really like the idea of being able to ditch any unneeded gear before shooting a particular stage as the belts can get pretty heavy when fully loaded. I have all gear attached with ELS except my holster. I also figured that ELS would be good since so many other 3 Gunners are running it and I might be able easily to borrow gear if I need more rounds for a particular stage or something.

I have a blade tech DOH and got a GLS that didn't seem to work well. I ended up making a few minor modifications to attach a BladeTech TMMS directly to the belt and it works great. The TACCOM Quad loads are really great and I highly recommend looking at those for a primary load method. I have one MountainMan caddie for weak side loading just in case. Mag pouches are Safariland 771s (with minor modifications) which came new with the ELS forks already attached. I am running a BladeTech AR pouch around the back.

I was lucky enough to pick up a 50% off Safariland certificate from another Enos user so that saved me quite a bit but I did notice that searching through Amazon provided some prices which were pretty competitive. Picture attached.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. How many shell caddies and mag pouches will I need. Seems like 2 pistol pouches ought to be enough and I was planning on being able to hold 20 shot shells. When you order your belt, do I need to order larger in order to overlap or do they have that figured in and you just order your usual belt size? Thanks for answering my dumb questions.

Order 4 inches longer than your actual waist, where you wear the belt (actually measure it), not belt size. 1 AR pouch, and mag in back pocket gives you 2 mags, same with 2 pistol pouches and one in front pocket if you need it. Most shotgun stages have a preload, so you don't usually need 20 on the belt. I started off with 12 rounds on belt and 9 in shotgun. Covered most everything.

I just asked Safariland the same question when ordering my els. You go 1 size bigger on the els belt from your waist size, if you wear 36 pants you order 38 belt etc... you just order your regular waist size for the Velcro underbelt. I found you can never have too many els forks and receiver plates so order extra so when you get new or different equipment you can set it up for your belt. ( this is what safariland told me to order and it came out fine for length)

Edited by Bradgsxr

Well I Don't have to ask the Question, thanks BradfromND, It's like you read my mind. I'm in the same "what do I need" boat. Been shooting IPSC since the early eighties, love it, IDPA lately, as long as I'm shooting it's all good. 3G (I've been warned) is contagious,

I'm infected. Thanks to all who responded. Very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I'm just getting started in 3 gun and am feeling a little inundated with all of the stuff that goes along with It. Firearms wise, I'm fine. I built a Seekins/JP rifle, picked up a MP pro and the only thing left factory is the barrel, and have an M2 to do some work to in order to be up to par.

My question is about all of the other extras. What holster to get, what belt, mag pouches, shell caddies, etc. I've been researching for a while and my head is just spinning. What do you guys recommend? I'm not really looking for base model products......I'm more of the "buy once, cry once" mentality.

Thanks

Brad

The Invictus Practical 2.8 is the most practical (no pun intended) shot shell caddie available if you haven't decided already. It allows you to load two until you develop the quad load or just drop two for forever if that's what you want. Takes up minimal space and shooting 3 gun you will quickly find that space is at a premium!

I am kinda geared in the 'ol redneck' fashion I guess. My belt is a Plain Jane nylon web version and is decked out with simple Blade Tech holster plus their single mag carriers (for r&p) and EZ8 caddies. All of my gear uses the tek loks which I have installed upside down, this allows pretty dang quick equipment changes right on/off the belt, even while worn in place.

I am kinda geared in the 'ol redneck' fashion I guess. My belt is a Plain Jane nylon web version and is decked out with simple Blade Tech holster plus their single mag carriers (for r&p) and EZ8 caddies. All of my gear uses the tek loks which I have installed upside down, this allows pretty dang quick equipment changes right on/off the belt, even while worn in place.

Tekloks upside down... Makes me want to smack myself for not thinking of this. Time to break out the screwdriver. Thanks

To toss in my two cents from a rookie is to bug the hell out of anyone you may know that shoots 3gun. Ask them what they like and don't like. Also most anyone at a match is more than willing to let you look over or even try on the gear they run and will honestly tell you what they think of it. It's intimidating to try and decide cause it's not cheap to get started. There's always a website somewhere running a special so browse the web as much as you can to look for deals.

I ended up with a blade tech cr speed belt, blade tech DOH holster (then removed the drop part) and 2 pistol mag pouches and 1 rifle pouch. The belt I ordered as a 38 cause I wear 34-36 jeans and it had a ton of overlap so I broke out a pair of snips and cut 3" off the inner and outer belt and now it fits perfect with about 4" overlap. I decided on the EZ8 shotshell caddies and like them a lot so far.