Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strikes

UFO

This is starting to drive me nuts..... As you can see, I'm getting 6 canyons and 2 dents.

627-5 with a Wilson Combat spring kit, 12lb return spring. Getting a 9.5lb DA pull. I have polished all internals and have installed an Apex Competition Firing pin. Winchester primers, and I hand seat them to between.007 - .010 depth (Random Checking) But, pretty sure it's not a seating problem...

Any Ideas?

post-48359-0-85858800-1392180901_thumb.j

The dents that didn't go bang are the impacts you are getting on all 8. When it does go bang the primer backs out into the firing pin enlarging the dent. When the powder lights off the cartridge sets back and pushes the primer back in.

If you hook a trigger pull gauge over the hammer what weight are you getting? I hook the gauge under the lip below the flat that contacts the firing pin and pull it back gently until the front of the hammer is even with the front of the lock cut.

Some reasons for light strikes (based on my own):

1) Strain screw tip worn down, insufficient deflection of main spring.

2) primers not fully seated

3) Too much end shake in cylinder allows the strike energy to be "dissipated" by moving the cylinder.

4) Excessive breech face to cylinder gap. I recall it's supposed to be about .062 - .064".

Edited by bountyhunter

First thing first, try switching to federal primers.

Also, I never found any sort of good luck experimenting with the wolff & wilson kits, I also wound up going back to the Jerry M Bang Inc main spring, others would give spotty results with a heavier trigger.

All of the lighter Actions are with Federal Primers, may be a problem as supply is limited.

For Federal Primers:

Hammer fall should be around 40 ounces for a 627, my 625 needs 46 ounces.

I'm using a Wolf 11 pound rebound spring with 2 coils cut off for the 627 and 1 1/2 coils off for the 625.

Action weights are 5 1/4 pounds for the 627 and 5 3/4 pounds on the 625.

For Winchester Primers you will probably need 54 ounces hammer fall and an 11 pound rebound if all is smoothed up good.

Set the hammer fall so it ignites what ever you have, then go to the lightest rebound spring you are comfortable with. You can cut a few coils off if needed.

Then that's going to give you the best Action Weight.

You can check your Headspace and make sure it's not too large, I think it should be .004. Also check the cylinder gap and end shake, no more than .006 cyl gap and you don't want a lot of movement. It needs some, too little and the cylinder ties up when hot, too much and it robs impact force from the hammer strike.

Toolguy can give you the proper specs off the top of his head, I can't.

Edited by pskys2

Pull the firing pin out and check to see if the FP spring is broke...!!! Had that happen at an ICORE Southern Reg a few years back... Mine was broke. It would bind up the FP just enough to give it random light strikes... Drove me nuts until i found it...!!!

If the hammer is contacting the rebound slide or the hammer block you will get those piss-ant hammer strikes.

Also too much oil under the extractor star can cause cushioning of hammer strikes.

I suspected the hammer block, does anyone ever just remove it from their competition guns?

The hammer could rub the frame along it's travel and slow it down. May need to shim the hammer.

I looked it over pretty good and can see where it might be rubbing a little, where do I get hammer shims?

Also, I never found any sort of good luck experimenting with the wolff & wilson kits, I also wound up going back to the Jerry M Bang Inc main spring, others would give spotty results with a heavier trigger.

Going back to the stock spring to see if that helps. I have access to try a JM spring, also.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I have some work to do. What I'd really like to do, is get the gun to Randy Lee for his trigger work, just need to get the time to get the gun over to him.....

Put the stock spring back in. Winchester Primers 37/48 fired, Federal Primers 48/48 fired. Guess I better stock up on Federal primers.......

Put the stock spring back in. Winchester Primers 37/48 fired, Federal Primers 48/48 fired. Guess I better stock up on Federal primers.......

how light were you able to drop you4 da pull ?

Which firing pin you have in ?

I don't know why but I tried an apex comp pin in my 627 PC gun and started having light strikes. Went back to the factory one and they went away. I know another 627 shooter that had the same exact results. Both pins were bought at the same time about a month ago. In both guns that was the only thing changed.

I don't know why but I tried an apex comp pin in my 627 PC gun and started having light strikes. Went back to the factory one and they went away. I know another 627 shooter that had the same exact results. Both pins were bought at the same time about a month ago. In both guns that was the only thing changed.

Wonder if it's due to that sharp point Apex puts on the tip.