Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon press shopping advice

^^

I honestly don't understand why the 550 exists.The price diff is not that much between it and the 650. Unless money is really and issue go with the 650 and a case feeder and you will never need to upgrade. I know many people who laid out money for the 550, tool heads etc... and later upgraded to the 650.

The only reason to go 1050 is if you are dealing with tons of crimped brass. But then again, if you have the money for the 1050, buying uncrimped brass is likely not an issue.

Once you own a 1050 you see no reason for a 650.

I guess it's all in your own personal perspective.

Edited by Reinz

^^

I honestly don't understand why the 550 exists.

You might not be able to believe the number of customers that have told me how much they love their 550. And how happy they were that they got it, as opposed to the 650, that they thought they wanted (because their friend told them they needed a 650).

For switching back and forth frequently and loading multiple calbers, it is the perfect press for that scenario.

A not that uncommon scenario... A guy will load 1000 - 1500 total rounds a month, in 4 calibers - 2 pistol and 2 rifle calibers. He would absolutely hate a 650 for that job.

^^

I honestly don't understand why the 550 exists.The price diff is not that much between it and the 650. Unless money is really and issue go with the 650 and a case feeder and you will never need to upgrade. I know many people who laid out money for the 550, tool heads etc... and later upgraded to the 650.

The only reason to go 1050 is if you are dealing with tons of crimped brass. But then again, if you have the money for the 1050, buying uncrimped brass is likely not an issue.

I have owned several 650s and a Super 1050.... Sold 'em. I now have two 550s on the bench. I prefer them. Personal opinion. Personal preference.

I have a 550b and love it. It was my first progressive press (over 20 years ago) and I have no experience with any of the others. I understand the features of the 650 and although a 5th station would be great, I do not really want the auto-index feature. I guess I am old fashioned and just want to control that aspect and have never felt it a hindrance. I place a bullet with my left hand and then rest it on the bench as I pull the handle. After the ram comes down I casually “thumb” the shell plate with my (supported, resting) left hand while reaching for a case with my right and placing the case in the shellplate. By then I have grabbed a bullet and set it on a case while I begin pulling the handle. Easy-peezy, as my daughter would say. I do not load 1000s of rounds and hour. I load a couple or maybe three, hundred rounds and then get up and go something else. I have five primer tubes and take the empties in the house and sit at the table watching TV and poke primers in them when I feel like it. The 550b is one hell of a machine and gives up nothing in “capacity” to the others. Through-put, yes but that is all. A 650 may be what you want and need but a 550b will turn out a lot of good ammo, and may be “fast” enough. I personally see no need for a 650, if I get to where I want to crank out more ammo in a shorter time, I’m saving my pop bottle money for a 1050.

"rjacobs" comments: "I can break a 1050 down and put it back together in about 15-20 minutes and that includes cleaning every little part and re-applying grease where it needs to be."

It's finally nice to know the secret identity of "The Flash." I can't come close to that for my 650....

"Democritus367" comments: "I'm curious where you find supplies in these quantities?"

My solution is to find an online supplier that will do backorders, and they are out there. Then the stuff just comes in. It's true that I need to have a stockpile to meet my current reloading needs, but that's what inventory control is all about.