Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon press shopping advice

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am new to the forum and soon to be new to reloading. I plan to be loading 9mm, .45 acp, .223 & 5.56 (what differences in parts and process are there between the two?) and will be wanting to add an additional larger rifle round in the future that is yet to be determined. (any suggestions?) I am looking at the 550, 650, or 1050 and so far am leaning toward the 650 but was curious what others thought about the rounds I am looking to do and if such a thing makes any difference.

Thanks,

Derick

I would read the faq's that B. Enos has and you might get an idea what machine might work best for you.

Everybody will have their favorite and "why" its the best, but in the end its your money and time.

I thought my 550b was awesome until I got a 1050 and now I have a second 1050 on the way. The 1050 is awesome, but pricey in all regards.

The 550b after using it a lot, while a great press, disappoints in a few area's once you start using a more capable press. However YOU might never feel this way.

Once you use a press with a case feeder, you will never understand how you hand fed cases. Same thing holds true for a bullet feeder. I played with a bullet feeder a friend has and went "ok now I got to get one".

Caliber conversions between a 550 and 650 will be pretty similar in price(little more on a 650 if you get a case feeder). Caliber conversions on a 1050 are at least double if not triple what they cost on the other press's depending on what you need.

Its something only you can decide how much you want to spend.

I would go with the 650. It gives you more versitility, easier to change calibers, and if you decide to get out of reloading resale is really good. Call Brian and talk to him, he'll set you straight. When you decide, call Brian and order from him, he'll take very good care of you. Good luck.

caliber conversion speed, to me, isnt a determiner in choosing a press. People talk about it like they are loading 100 rounds and changing calibers to load another 100 rounds, etc... Minimum I load is 1000 rounds before I change calibers, usually more like 5k or 10k(if I can find the components). While buying that many components at one time sucks $$$$$ wise, you end up saving money and you then just crank out all your ammo for the year(or month or 6 months or whatever) in one go. When you load say 9mm and buy 10k worth of components at a time you can load for around 9c a round(not counting brass cost).

I can break a 1050 down and put it back together in about 15-20 minutes and that includes cleaning every little part and re-applying grease where it needs to be. Now a primer change on a 1050 takes more time than it does on a 550b, but not a big deal either. You can do a primer change on a 550b in like 2 minutes.

I guess I enjoy taking the machines apart and putting them back together just as much as I do reloading so for me, the time required isnt a big deal.

Edited by rjacobs

The 9mm and 223 are going to have we crimped primer pockets. 1050 rules for those calipers. As a matter of fact, it rules out the other two presses if you ask me. If it was 40, 45, or 38x only then y would have a choice, if not, you will want the 1050. Caliber conversions are expensive, but not if you buy a dedicated 1050 for all of the calibers you want to load......then you don't have to worry about caliber conversions.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am new to the forum and soon to be new to reloading. I plan to be loading 9mm, .45 acp, .223 & 5.56 (what differences in parts and process are there between the two?) and will be wanting to add an additional larger rifle round in the future that is yet to be determined. (any suggestions?) I am looking at the 550, 650, or 1050 and so far am leaning toward the 650 but was curious what others thought about the rounds I am looking to do and if such a thing makes any difference.

Thanks,

Derick

Lots of press selection info here:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

I agree with KSH. I have a couple of 550s and one 1050. Selling one of the 550s to add a second 1050. I don't have a lot of time to reload so like to maximize the time that I do have.

Learning on the 550 is much easier than on the 1050. Simpler to understand and maintain. Once you get that down and start shooting more volume you may want to step up to a higher volume (case feeder, bullet feeder) machine. Then again, maybe not. The 550 will do everything that you need it to do, just not as fast or efficiently as the other two.

Thanks,

Derick

Lots of press selection info here:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

^^ This ^^

If it is your first press, then the 550 is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I have two of them, and a square deal dedicated to 45 ACP.

I started loading on a single stage years ago because that's what I had access to. I blissfully used it for a very long time until I bought a MEC 9000 for shotguns. That drove me to a progressive for metallic cartridges. I got the 550 because of some of the painful hiccups associated with the MEC. I feared I would have the same troubles with the 650 after reading lots of posts about it.

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a 550 without a case feeder or bullet feeder. Very happy with the process, the machine, and the results. Simple, reliable, and always produces good ammo.

I am currently considering trading up to a 650 or a 1050. I've loaded on both and am still on the fence. Nothing wrong with my 550 and I am still happy with them both. Just looking for a way to increase production volume for the one caliber I shoot most.

In case I wasn't clear, I think the 550 with the "As it should BE" upgrade, purchased from Brian's Store, is the right place for anyone to start loading. Functions like a single stage while you're learning, works progressively when you get the hang of it. You control the process speed. Troubleshooting is easy. No annoying autoindex to frustrate you as you begin to learn the process (I initially hated this on my Square Deal, along with the tight clearances on that very small press. I have learned to live with it but it isn't an ideal machine for me now. I keep it to produce excellent ammo for NRA Conventional Pistol matches.)

If you think you want a 650, then by all means get it. Same for the 1050. You will be happiest buying what you want and using it till your arm is huge from pulling that handle.

-john

Comes down to money and how much your going to load on an average run before you change calibers. All your buying is speed 550

is capable of loading quality ammo, easier to set up and the best entry machine out there. Little more waste on the 650 but it will out run the 550, less time spent loading.

I picked up a 650 a few years back and with a few tuning tricks it's outstanding but about three times the funds in the machine that a 550 cost. Load 400 and shift to another caliber to run 200 then back to another pistol caliber look at the 550. Run a thousand or more before the switch to run two thousand look hard at the 650 but if your not looking at a loaded 650 buy the 550. You can use the 550 as a single stage press say pulling bullets with a collet puller etc.

Old saying speed costs how fast do you want to go?

If money is no option, the 650 is a great machine, but I think the 550 is a better machine to learn to reload on.

Actually, if money is not a concern the 1050 is the press to get. It was my first press and couldn't be happier.

Edited by purecharger

One other point to be aware of: The 1050 is considered a "commercial" machine, meaning that it does not carry the lifetime/no BS warranty of the 650 and other "consumer" machines. Although the 1050 is built like a brick privy and unlikely to break, the more limited warranty coverage is something you should consider.

I just went to a 650 from a single stage hornady. I've only had chance to play with it, decapping a ton of 9mm, and setting up the sizer, powder drop/bell, (I don't have a 9mm to load for right this second) and I'm pretty happy so far. I wanted the auto index and the extra station gives me some flexibility vs the 550.

1050 was out of the price range with the base press price and then the caliber conversion cost. Maybe one day for the swage magic.

Maybe dillon will make a 2 station decapper/swager that is feed by the 650 casefeeder in the interim and I can then just buy that.

"....Maybe dillon will make a 2 station decapper/swager that is feed by the 650 casefeeder in the interim and I can then just buy that."

That is actually a pretty good idea. It could be a casefeeder fed brass prep press that 1) sized/decapped, 2) swaged the primer, and 3) trimmed the brass. Hmmmmm......I like it! :cheers:

I have at least one of each. I use the 550 for the rounds that I load more of than I feel like loading on a turret press. The 650's I feel is a much more "progressive" press. The 1050 is the top dog but you can buy 4 550's for the price of one 1050.

Edited by jmorris

I have been reloading since 1972 and got my first Dillon in '83, a 450 when they first when direct to public. Since then, I have used a Square-Deal, xl-650 and converted the 450 to a 550 and purchased another 550. For someone wanting to load multiple calibers, pistol and rifle, I would go with the 550. Rugged, easy to operate, caliber conversions are simple and in-expensive and with practice you can turn out a lot of quality ammo in a short time. Never used a 1050, but the cost is prohibitive unless you are going to shoot a ton of ammo every month.

My .02.

Normally I'd agree with some others and say get the 550. However, if you are mechanically inclined and understand how things work, I say you can probably handle the 650. That way you gain an extra station for a powder check which is not just a great enhancement for a newbie, but for anyone. That is if you can afford the difference over a 550. If not, get the 550, it Rocks! I love mine.

But first things first. Go on Amazon and order "The ABC'S of Reloading " by Dean Grendal. Read it slow, and absorb it. It is an easy read. It will teach you well.

caliber conversion speed, to me, isnt a determiner in choosing a press. People talk about it like they are loading 100 rounds and changing calibers to load another 100 rounds, etc... Minimum I load is 1000 rounds before I change calibers, usually more like 5k or 10k(if I can find the components). While buying that many components at one time sucks $$$$$ wise, you end up saving money and you then just crank out all your ammo for the year(or month or 6 months or whatever) in one go. When you load say 9mm and buy 10k worth of components at a time you can load for around 9c a round(not counting brass cost).

I can break a 1050 down and put it back together in about 15-20 minutes and that includes cleaning every little part and re-applying grease where it needs to be. Now a primer change on a 1050 takes more time than it does on a 550b, but not a big deal either. You can do a primer change on a 550b in like 2 minutes.

I guess I enjoy taking the machines apart and putting them back together just as much as I do reloading so for me, the time required isnt a big deal.

Thanks for the input everyone, I went ahead and ordered up a 650 last night with everything I need to load 9mm and .45acp. I couldn't justify the extra cost on the 1050 but wanted something with more capacity than the 550. I figure this will get me experience in the realm of progressive reloading and if I want to sell this machine and move up or perhaps add another machine in the future then so be it.

As far as Rjacobs quote, I'm curious where you find supplies in these quantities?

Does anyone have any tips on setting this up for 9mm the first time? I am going to be relying on youtube videos which seem to be plentiful.

When i got my press "back in the day" I started with a Rock Chucker. When i decided to start shooting competitively i bought a 550, soon i out grew it and bought a 650. I still have use my 550. You may find yourself as many do with multiple presses. From my experience start with what you can afford if the 1050 is no big thing buy one. I would think hard before going to the 550. If you can afford it get at least a 650. Don't spend so much money that you cannot afford to shoot. I load precision rifle rounds on a Forester single stage. Could i make as good on a 650 yes but that works for me. I do want a 1050 but they are pricey. Just whatever you do pay attention when reloading you do not need to crank them out and forget to drop a powder charge or have rounds that will not feed. Details matter.

^^

I honestly don't understand why the 550 exists.The price diff is not that much between it and the 650. Unless money is really and issue go with the 650 and a case feeder and you will never need to upgrade. I know many people who laid out money for the 550, tool heads etc... and later upgraded to the 650.

The only reason to go 1050 is if you are dealing with tons of crimped brass. But then again, if you have the money for the 1050, buying uncrimped brass is likely not an issue.

Edited by L3324temp