Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 MGM Ironman

Not really clear from the website- Is it acceptable to use a muzzle down cart to transport your guns around? I usually man-pack local matches, but with the .308 for the bonus stages I fear I will wimp out carrying all four guns and ammo with big stages like these.

Good to go.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the way home from a baseball tournament tonight I passed a red truck pulling a camper. Had some gun stickers on it, and judging by the looks of the dudes, I'm sure I'll see them at Ironman.

How was the first half? Headed out tomorrow for scoped tac. :devil:

Great match! Kinda bummed the zip line was only a side match this year......and shut down for winds when I was going to do it....

T

This was my first year at Ironman, and my second proper 3 Gun shoot.

The short of it:

I've never run my guns so hard, experienced so much shooting stress, or had so much fun.

I had a pretty miserable first day, learned my lessons about travel time, sunscreen, and planning a stage, and things got better from there. I owe a ton of thanks to my squad for getting me through it. All the side-stages were a blast, and I even had fun with the "spool-stage" but the left-hand segment kicked my ass. I'll be doing lots of things different next year :D

Edited by TVpresspass

This match is at the top of "have to attend" matches. The one thing about the match that I do not like is the dummy. This was my first time to not carry it and my back was in no pain during the long ride home. The reward v. the risks didn't seem to make any sense. My suggestion would be to have 3 dummies, ie., light, medium, and heavy. A bonus would be assigned to each. For example - a 100 lb dummy would be worth 30 seconds, a 150 lb dummy worth 45, and the 200 the full 60. The spools, the week hand shooting, and the long-range targets - all good stuff.

Sterling, You would have had even more fun had you shot it like a gentleman. I certainly hope that your choice to go down the path of magnification is one that you abandon soon. Rejoin your brothers in the non magnified division, you can still shoot your big gun, there's still hope. Looking forward to seeing you in Bend in a few weeks.

The stages where fun this year, the shooting was again Ironman worthy, the wind blew, and it was dusty. Spool stage was not fair to some, but it was super fun and challenging to all. If I had to pick a favorite stage I would be forced to go with the dummy stage, I like the trench run, the shotgun carnival, and the pistol portion was a hoot. The dummy was heavy again this year, but at least the bonus was earned. I also liked the outhouse stage, not as much running as I would normally like, but a fun mix of shooting challenges. The 18 pack plate racks with pistol are one of my favorites. I am sorry that the weak hand stage allowed it to be shot with a shotgun, the satisfaction of tearing it down weak hand was almost worth shooting it with pistol, almost....

I hope next year will be just as much fun.

Anybody got a video of the spool stage

All stage videos uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SinistralRifleman

What are you shooting? Is that a pistol caliber carbine? How was it on the long range stuff? Point me at another thread if you've got one going.

I was using a BAP 9mm (MP5 clone www.brethrenarms.com). I used it out to 50 yards on the closer range rifle portions. I used it for all the bonus pistol targets on stage 4.

The rifle stages that had double spinners I used a Windham Weaponry SRC-308 (3 stages) the other rifle stages I used my .223 CAV-15 (2 stages). Stage 6 I used it for everything except the slug plates and pigeon flippers.

Anybody got a video of the spool stage

All stage videos uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SinistralRifleman

What are you shooting? Is that a pistol caliber carbine? How was it on the long range stuff? Point me at another thread if you've got one going.
I was using a BAP 9mm (MP5 clone www.brethrenarms.com). I used it out to 50 yards on the closer range rifle portions. I used it for all the bonus pistol targets on stage 4.

The rifle stages that had double spinners I used a Windham Weaponry SRC-308 (3 stages) the other rifle stages I used my .223 CAV-15 (2 stages). Stage 6 I used it for everything except the slug plates and pigeon flippers.

Don't forget to tell him you were in trooper class because the pistol caliber carbine is not allowed in other divisions.

Don't forget to tell him you were in trooper class because the pistol caliber carbine is not allowed in other divisions.

Yes, Trooper for life here. I'll be shooting Trooper until I'm physically unable to since I was one of the division founders in 2004.

Here's all the PCC footage from this year:

Over the years PCC has had varying levels of usefulness depending on stage designs. A few years it wasn't much of an advantage, the past couple it has been.

Main areas it helps:

Technical pistol shots like lots of no shoots or further smaller targets

Rotating double spinners: both from higher velocity to more control over the gun to get up to 3 hits rather than 2 with pistol at a time.

Close range stages where it eliminates the need to transition guns. On free style open ended close range stages where steel can be pistol or shot, and paper is pistol or rifle you can shoot most of the targets with it.

Easier to shoot well when physically stressed than pistol.

If you are a pistol shooting machine then it is less necessary. Tyler Payne and Ben Fortin both win Trooper without one using Tac scope equipment in the past. This year Tyler Payne used one and won again. In 2008 when I won I didn't use one, in 2009 when I won again I did use one (there were a lot less pro level shooters in Trooper back then). Ironman uses pistols outside the realm of what most people practice, so for the average trooper it helps them do better than they would without it.

Ironman/Trooper topics on my blog here: http://sinistralrifleman.com/category/ironman-3-gun/

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Trooper division is the heart of the ironman match. The creativity it brings to our sport is without equal in modern 3gun. Hats off to those that shot trooper, and to the match that gave them the opportunity to do so.

Trooper division is the heart of the ironman match. The creativity it brings to our sport is without equal in modern 3gun. Hats off to those that shot trooper, and to the match that gave them the opportunity to do so.

Hats off to anybody dumb enough to carry 5 guns, all their ammo and water plus smile while doing it. I do think it's pretty cool to use sub guns on pistol targets.

Doug

Yes, Trooper for life here. I'll be shooting Trooper until I'm physically unable to since I was one of the division founders in 2004.

So what do you use to pack 2 rifles, a PCC, shotgun and pistol on the course?

Edited by fishsticks

We only have to carry it from stage to stage. On the stage you only carry what is necessary for that stage.

The long guns I carry in double long gun cases and ground them when I get to the stage along with my assault pack. A lot of people use the packs that have integral long gun carriers, but I've never been a fan of those.

There is literally no limit for the number of guns a trooper can carry.

Some of the tough SOBs on my squad had 3 different shotguns with them, two rifles, a PCC, and a handgun.

Those shotguns would all see use on a single stage too!