Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Abysmal reload times

Trebor Snave

When the season ended in October, I stopped practicing to let my tennis elbow heal. I still haven't gotten back into dryfire practice, but I grabbed my rig and started practicing reloads a week or so ago. Talk about disheartening! I won't even tell you where I started, but I'm down to 2.8 seconds starting and ending with a good sight picture at the beep. I load strong hand; I've got a little better control of the cylinder that way, I think. Of course this is dry; Mama don't like live fire in the house.

I watch Matt Griffin doing a reload in 1.37, or JM shooting 12 hits in 2.99 and i just wonder how can I cut some time off my reloads? I suppose I ought to set up a camera and video myself to see what I'm actually doing, or if I just am that slow...

On a side note, does anyone have an extended cylinder latch they're not using and would be willing to sell? I think finding and hitting the stock latch contributes to my lack of speed.

Yep, cylinders are chamfered. One issue might be that my dummy loads have truncated cones loaded instead of the round nose I shoot at matches. The flats sometimes seem to want to hang up on the face of the cylinder. But even when I hit the load, it's slow.

Keep practicing. Next match is only 52 days away... :mellow:

When the season ended in October, I stopped practicing to let my tennis elbow heal. I still haven't gotten back into dryfire practice, but I grabbed my rig and started practicing reloads a week or so ago. Talk about disheartening! I won't even tell you where I started, but I'm down to 2.8 seconds starting and ending with a good sight picture at the beep. I load strong hand; I've got a little better control of the cylinder that way, I think. Of course this is dry; Mama don't like live fire in the house.

Well if it makes you feel any better I would be very happy with a sub 3-second reload. I've set my timer for 3 seconds and can't get the reload completed in that time frame yet but I'm working on it.

Video tape yourself for sure. I did and that's when I realized sometimes I used my thumb to eject the moon clip and other times I used my index finger. I'm working to use my thumb all of the time now but sometimes I still use my index finger.

Practice with a par time.

These are things that have helped me some along the ways but I still struggle immensely, so take it for what its worth.

1. move faster, just do, force your arms and hands to go faster than you see it happen, and keep doing it till it you can see it.

2. I found the following visual things to aide consistency tremendously....

-look at the gun as it breaks open and the empties start to come out

-then look at the next clip

-then look at the cylinder as you throw/drop them in

Do more than 1 thing at once(obviously)

as the gun breaks open, as soon as its open my strong hand is going for the next moonclip. Once I see the empty starting to clear I am looking for the next one, by the time I have it and am starting to remove it, the gun is entering position to take the reload.

The clip comes over and it gets released to fall in.

When I RO guys with slower reloads that are doing strong hand(miculek style?), what I see is.

They complete the unload before they ever make a move for the next moonclip. this is killing them, its easily adding close to or more than 1 second to there loads. Don't do this.

They keep looking at the gun after they have re-established grip vs looking out at target. This kills you to, don't do this.

They place the moonclip in vs having faith in just letting that thing go in free air.

I've also found getting the gun below my belt line has brings my consistency way up...

Edited by seanc

Oddly enough, one thing I'm finding that I have to keep in mind is - just EXACTLY which clip am I grabbing? Upper or lower, off of which post? Otherwise I waste time looking for one. I see that seanc looks for the next clip; I'm still focused on the gun as my hand goes to my waist. Of course, that might be because my belly is in the way.

Under 2.6 last night. I'm going to try for under 2.4 tonight. Focus tonight is on getting the gun lower.

Looking is everything, when it comes to reloading a revolver. Regardless of the holder you are using, bring the gun right down to the belt, and LOOK the moonclip right into the gun.

I feel the same way, my best reloads I see the round come out of the cyl. My eyes snap to the belt and I see the clip I want before my hand gets there. Then I see the cyl as my hand brings the clip to it. Then see the target as I bring the gun up. I close the cyl on the way to the target, and start prepping the trigger.

I'm still working on doing all that faster. I just switched to a 8 shot, and have found it a little harder. I think you can be a little sloppy with a 45 and still be fast. I'm getting there.

I still look at the clip entering the revolver, I just eliminated looking for the next clip to load. I am sure we have all reached down only to find a empty post or an empty moon clip holder and then have to use precious time moving to another post or holder to find one.

This is like your draw as you don't have to look at your revolver when you draw as you have trained yourself to draw from the same place every time.

Not saying one is better than the other. It comes down to what you are comfortable with and what you practice with. Me I found the server works best for me and I carry 2 single posts North Mountain holders for loads off tables.