Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA SSP Glock 34 gen 4 ... Which SS guide rod ?

Gcarr

I'm sure that this a repeat of a repeat thread ... But I was having trouble finding the answer with my searching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly sure I want stainless steel and a 13lb or 14lb spring for the PF I will be shooting but... Captured ??? Uncaptured ??? Adapter ??? So... What is IDPA SSP legal ??? Can i get it as a combo or do i have to piece it together for the spring i want??? Where is the best place to get it ??? I have asked a lot of questions here ... Your time and expertise is greatly appreciated ...

I'm going off memory here, but I think to be IDPA legal the guiderod needs to be polymer. Jäger makes a polymer as well as SS guiderod for the Gen 4's that allows use of ISMI, Wolff, or GlockWorx springs (only ones I've tried).

Shooters Connection has them for $29. I run a 12 lb GlockWorx recoil spring (blue) with my 130 PF ammo. Tried a 13 and 11 and the 12 seemed to be the right one for my load.

With the new rulebook in IDPA you can now use a SS guiderod in a Glock and stay inn SSP.

The problem is that I don't know if one is made for the Gen 4 that doesn't require a bushing for it to fit. The gen 4 opening for the front of the guide rod is bigger than the gen 3. I had tried an uncaptured ss guide rod in my Gen 4 with a bushing that allows this to fit. This bushing becomes a visible external modification which would bump you out of SSP.

From the prohibited list for SSP ( but permitted for ESP)

8.2.1.4.5. Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.

You will have to do some searching.

Thanks for the responses ...

2morechains - thank you - might be the answer

Sjz - exactly what I'm talking about !! Thank you ... I will research

TheKenny - thank you - looks like the one

Vinstang - less muzzle flip (felt recoil) ... Faster follow-up shoots (double taps)

I am new to Glocks and trying to get caught up ... Thanks to everyone for the help !!!

Jager is the only one to consider for Gen 4. I have the polymer one, and it runs great with 13 lb. I should switch to SS, but just haven't felt the need. I do have a Dawson SS uncaptured in a Gen 3 and like it a lot as well. You won't go wrong with Jager in a Gen 4.

Not sure about this "bushing" wording with the new rule changes, but I don't see why they would make mine (Jager polymer Gen 4), which was legal before the new rules in SSP,and make it illegal. Then again, who knows.

I had my gunsmith make me one, just the way I wanted it.............works great with 13 pound ISMI springs, although I have no clue if that would be 'IDPA legal' or not?

post-8873-0-23826400-1390563020_thumb.jp

post-8873-0-47275800-1390563028_thumb.jp

Edited by pevadijk

Get a zev ss guide rod and a 13lbs ismi spring and a adapter ring if a gen4. I run them in all my Glocks gen3 and gen4 with no problems. The double springs that come in the gen4 is junk do yourself a favor and stay away from that style of recoil assembly.

I ordered the glockmeister with a 13# spring ... Now if it will just get here before the weekend!!! Thanks everyone !!!

Which part# did you order?

I am confused by Glockmeisters website. The G17 gen 4 and the G34 gen 4 take the exact same oem recoil spring assembly. But when I looked at the SS guide rod on Glockmeister, there are a couple that say:

"This recoil rod works for the following GLOCK models: 17 (including RTF2 but not 4th Gen), 22 (including RTF2 but not 4th Gen), 31, 34, and 35."

Why would it work in a G34 gen 4 and not a G17 gen 4?

Also, for IDPA- the tungsten would not be allowed. SS is the heaviest weight material that a guide rod can be made out of.

Edited by sjz

If you examine the Gen 4 guide rod while there is a steel sleeve in the Gen 4, the actual rod is polymer. Therefore the correct choice for IDPA SSP is the polymer one, any other material would bump you into ESP.

This is what I have concluded after questioning at our local IDPA SO rules clinics on various forums and consulting with Jager.

If you examine the Gen 4 guide rod while there is a steel sleeve in the Gen 4, the actual rod is polymer. Therefore the correct choice for IDPA SSP is the polymer one, any other material would bump you into ESP.

This is what I have concluded after questioning at our local IDPA SO rules clinics on various forums and consulting with Jager.

Above is incorrect. You no longer need to have polymer guide rod in Glocks to stay in SSP

1) The new IDPA rule book specifically allows recoil rods of any material not heavier than stainless steel in SSP.

Under permitted modifications for SSP

8.2.1.3.4. Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel

2) What would bump you to ESP (in a Glock for example) is a sleeve or bushing in the slide to accept a different type of recoil spring assembly or rod. This violates 2 rules for SSP.

Under SSP excluded modifications

8.2.1.4.1. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section.

8.2.1.4.5. Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.

From the current rulebook under permitted modifications

ssp p.32

8.2.1.3.4. Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel.

esp p.34

8.2.2.2.22. Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel.

It's kinda a crazy world figuring out what is legal and what is not the way the rules read ... And then when searching for that legal one none of the companies say "Here it is ... This is the legal one you have been looking for". I just wonder what will happen at match time ... What will the BOSS say??? Hope their "Interpretation" is the same that I have ... If not ... The hunt will continue.