Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saw this at SHOT - Frankford Arsenal SS media wet tumbler kit & mo

twistrate

I was at SHOT Show this week and stopped by the Battenfeld Technologies booth to see what goodies they had for us reloaders in 2014 and came across this. It's a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler for stainless steel media brass tumbling! It has a very high capacity... something around 600 .223 cases IIRC. It will be sold as a kit that includes media and polishing liquid additive. The tumbler has a built in timer and the tumbling vessel is fully rubber lined internally and has windows on both the top and bottom caps. The construction was pretty solid overall. MSRP $229 for the kit with everything you need to get rolling in SS media wet tumbling.

Also, in the foreground is their upcoming case prep station. Modular and designed to change between calibers very rapidly, and prep brass quickly at a constant duty cycle. Unfortunately I missed the price on that one.

fa-rotaryLarge_zpsb4535022.jpg

Edited by twistrate

NO WAY you will get 1000 .223 cases into that. AND 5lbs of media aint no where NEAR enough to do 1000 cases.

For 1000 .223 cases you would want AT LEAST 15lbs of media since 1000 cases weighs just at 14lbs.

Ive got a dual 3 gallon tumbler with 25lbs of media in each. 1500 rounds of .223 PACKS each drum completely full.

In a 7 liter drum(about 1.8 gallons) you would be lucky to get 750 rounds + the required media to do the job.

I'd LOVE to see 1000 cases + 15lbs of media fit into this drum.

Their media to brass ratio is obviously different than yours.

As you said, it's a 7 liter drum, and comes with 5# of brass.

Haven't done the math yet, but I'd still be pretty OK with 750 .223 cases in it at a time.

I love shiny brass but wet tumbling sure looks tedious and time consuming. Add in the drying time of the brass after cleaning and adds up to a lot of time and counter space taken up.

Can you really safely poor lead contaminated water down a drain?

I would rather send the lead down the drain than have it in the air. Looks like a great product, definately looks like a better mousetrap. I dont stick to the weight limit on the thumbler tumbler when tumbling my brass, but I have no idea how many cases it holds. Does anyone have a count?

There was a time when all pipes were lead...

:)

Lead exists naturally from various sources, wastewater has any number of metals in it which should be removed during treatment. I wonder how much lead actually results from liquid tumbling?

My question as well. I posted a comment on the YouTube page. We'll see what they say in response, if they do reply. I'd like to have one I'm just not sure how Mrs. Jones would feel about dumpign that water down the kitchen sink like that.

Their media to brass ratio is obviously different than yours.

As you said, it's a 7 liter drum, and comes with 5# of brass.

Haven't done the math yet, but I'd still be pretty OK with 750 .223 cases in it at a time.

Everything I have ever read on wet tumbling says you need at LEAST a lb more tumbling media than brass and the more media to brass you have the faster and better it works. So 5lbs of media would=4lbs of brass or about 285 pieces. 1000 pieces would be 4x what I would want to use, 750 at least 3x. Trying to put 1000 pieces in(if it even fits, I have my doubts on that) with 5lbs of media would take hours and hours and hours to do. I do 1500 at a time in a 3 gallon with 25lbs of media and the longest I need to tumble ever is 2 hours and thats to remove sizing lube. If all im doing is cleaning pistol cases with no lube, an hour does it.

Not trying to badmouth the product, but their claims are no where near what I would say will work from my experience with a tumbler that is almost 2x that size.

My question as well. I posted a comment on the YouTube page. We'll see what they say in response, if they do reply. I'd like to have one I'm just not sure how Mrs. Jones would feel about dumpign that water down the kitchen sink like that.

Seeing how many times I have dumped a peroxide/vinger/lead slurry down the drain I'm not too worried about that. Also I live in Alabama and most municipalities supplement lead and flouride into the drinking water as is. I'm just happy that us who live below the poverty line can wet tumble.

I pour mine down the sink, as I live in an apartment. If you wash the sink well I don't think there is any problem at all. After all, do you cook in or eat out of the sink ???

I don't believe the question is whether you eat of your sink but that the lead laden waste water is now entering the sewer system and whether adding lead to the system is a bad idea.

I pour mine down the sink, as I live in an apartment. If you wash the sink well I don't think there is any problem at all. After all, do you cook in or eat out of the sink ???

I have been known to thaw meat in the sink plus the drain from the dishwahser connects to the same sink and I wouldn't want lead laden water to get into the dishwasher. If I go down this road I think it be best to either dump it down the toilet or bathroom sink because I don't cook in or eat out of either of those.

RDA is connect - my concern is can the water treatment facility properly deal with lead and other chemicals that would be put into the system. I'm probably making a big deal over nothing but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Pour it on the dang lawn then. Sheesh. You guys put all kinds of stuff like chemical fertilizer, roundup/ weed killer , change your car's oil on your lawn etc etc etc. why is this one different?

I used to live in California where I was surrounded by fields and orchards that were constantly being defoliated(cotton), sprayed with nasty pesticides etc etc. they were ALL irrigated. Where did that water go? I wouldn't think twice about pitching it.

Edited by ipscjoe

Pour it on the dang lawn then. Sheesh. You guys put all kinds of stuff like chemical fertilizer, roundup/ weed killer , change your car's oil on your lawn etc etc etc. why is this one different?

Actually, I don't and I am not exactly the most environmentally conscious person you'll run across. But I do have a well so I am not all that interested in contaminating my own water supply.

Lawn fertilization and herbicide/pesticide usage is relatively easy to do responsibly if the user can read and apply properly, let's hope no one is pouring oil on the lawn or driveway, particularly when it is so easy to recycle.