Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion on mag tube extension length

GreenDragon64

So, I'm trying to figure how to go about picking what length extension to pick for my VM due for its arrival middle of this coming week. I know in matches with 3 gun nation rules, in Tactical divisions there is an 8rd cap at the start with the capability of adding additional rounds after the buzzer.

I mainly throw quads, my main concerns are with the extra weight the tube would add decreasing the mobility, would a +9 tube (12rd cap) be in danger of being broken in a dump barrel, and would a +7 extension (10rd cap) tube be better fitted?

Edited by GreenDragon64

On my Vmax the +9 actually gave 13 round capacity. Something about the VM being ready for 3.5" shells makes this possible.

I currently have a +7 with a +1 roulette cap for 12 round capacity. I cant notice the extra weight/length really. Ive bashed it a couple times but havnt noticed ill effects. Im still running the barrel clamp however.

You can get a +2 cap from roulette for 10 round capacity pretty cheap.

I use the Nordic tube/nut/endcap on both my M2 and Vinci. I have the 10 rd tube and the 12 rd tube that can just be screwed into the nut. Choose which tube you want for the match you are going to. I will say that with quad loading the 12 rd tube is my number one choice.

Thanks for the input. Koop, what is your barrel length and how far does the +9 tube stick out past the barrel?

Brian, I am leaning to the +9 right now to give me at least 12, maybe even 13 like what Koop mentioned. Have you cut any off the spring to help with loading the last few rounds?

Thanks for letting me know about the Nordic, I have been looking at the Nordic tubes.

GD64

I have a slightly shortened spring for the 10 rd tube (9+1) but leave the spring length as is for the 12 rd tube. I like the extra spring pressure because there is an awful lot of banging around going on inside that long tube length when recoil gets to rockin.

Many quadloading guys run the longest tube they can find. This is because the technique is so technical to do, that they only want to pull the gun off the shoulder once to do it.

Personally I think those guns are too long, I've kind of settled in on 10rd tubed being the happy medium, all things considered.

I'm running a 26" M2 with 10rd RCI XRail tube. I have an extension to take it to 12-13rds but never use it. I quad load strong hand and don't see the technique as technical at all, in front it's gross motor movements that are fast (3 seconds for 8rds).

I set my stage plan to allow myself 1-2 misses at most, and to reload and shoot as much as possible while moving.

I've played a little with the Keith Garcia Load-12 drill and will try to get a video or two tomorrow. Dismounting the shotgun from my shoulder 3 times, I've had consistent runs in the low 9 sec range and a few fast/sketchy runs in the 8's. If dismounting was that much of an issue, I would definitely worry about it, but strong hand I do not see it that way.

Sorry, I didnt see this post move so I didnt reply.

I have the 22" barrel, and the +7 nordic with +1 cap gives me 12 round capacity even with the spring un-cut.

The extension is 8.5" longer than the barrel.

The +9 easily gives 13 round capacity on my vmax with a full length nordic spring. Its 12" longer than the BBL when installed.

Top is +7 with +1 cap for 12 total

Mid is +9 for 13 total

Bottom is 8 total (factory tube)

3lVRR6a.jpg?1

Edited by Therealkoop

I am currently trying a 10 round tube with an optional plus 2 shooters source extension.

10 rounds in the tube is flush with my 26" barrel. I figure that if a stage in a match would benefit from a quad x 3 reload then I can screw on the +2. It's the bewt of both worlds.

I am currently trying a 10 round tube with an optional plus 2 shooters source extension.

10 rounds in the tube is flush with my 26" barrel. I figure that if a stage in a match would benefit from a quad x 3 reload then I can screw on the +2. It's the bewt of both worlds.

Just be careful - most matches around here won't let you change tube lengths mid-match - pick your tube before the 1st shot of the day!

Many quadloading guys run the longest tube they can find. This is because the technique is so technical to do, that they only want to pull the gun off the shoulder once to do it.

Personally I think those guns are too long, I've kind of settled in on 10rd tubed being the happy medium, all things considered.

Quad loading is far from technical I picked that up in a few mins and can fly, weak hand is the one that is technical or at least takes a lot of practice.

I have a 12 tube on my shotgun and I noticed this weekend on a couple of stages it does affect mobility. It wasn't bad, but one stage where the shooting area was about 4' and bordered a wall. With that long of a tube I had to swing the shotgun down lower than a low ready position to keep from hitting the wall. I would say that is a minor issue, because unless you are running an 18.5" shotgun everyone had to, just not as dramatic as me.

I also noticed on one stage when we had to advance into the COF to our stages shotgun, the table was barely long enough to hold the shotgun due to the wall placement vs the table. So I had to position the shotgun so hat it would stay on the table not necessarily in the position I wanted it. But again, it was a minor issue. Not enough to take the 12 shot tube off.

Butter, I did notice it was a little more of a hassle for the longer tubes to enter the shooting ports over the shorter tube extensions, but not so much it added on a good bit of time. Will you be at the Arab 3 gun in February? Just want to compare and contrast entry and exit transition techniques.