Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lightening slide with .40 major?

MetropolisLake

So my G35 is in the shop. Was just going to get some stipple, sights, and trigger work. Have the opportunity to lighten the slide then cerakote it while it's there. However I have yet to hear anybody say that lightening the slide on a glock while shooting .40 major is a good idea. It looks really cool but are you really gaining anything? More importantly, are you screwing with the reliability? I've seen old threads here but there's not much on the .40 with a G35. Would like to hear something definitive saying yeah it's cool or hell no don't even think about it. I don't reload right now and am afraid I will be introducing some gremlins and worse performance in the name of good looks.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Slide lighten works BUT remember it or permanent and completely rules out use in Production or IDPA for future use.

I'm getting it stippled so that messes me up anyway. Our local IDPA club is more like IDPA'ish and they let you shoot regardless so I'm not too worried about that. Mainly concerned with reliability and not breaking anything, such as due to a slide coming back at my face too fast.

I think I recall hearing Rob Vogel say that lightening the slide of a Glock makes it feel "more violent." Regardless, I'm thinking about trying it...I can handle extra violence if sight recovery is improved...

I think I recall hearing Rob Vogel say that lightening the slide of a Glock makes it feel "more violent." Regardless, I'm thinking about trying it...I can handle extra violence if sight recovery is improved...

I have definitely heard Vogel say the same thing.

There is a good interview with Vogel by Casey of the Practical Tactical podcast where Vogel touches on this very subject. Basically, he doesn't care for it and believes it causes more problems than it is worth on a limited gun.

I had my 35 lightened, front cocking serrations, and muzzle angle cut and I will say that the force shooting factory loaded .40 is increased quite a bit. You can feel more of the recoil in your hand and forearms, only thing is that instead of the muzzle flipping up in recoil it stays much flatter. I would describe it as being more violent except with far less muzzle rise, feels like I can track the sights faster. It is high in cdi factor though, not sure how much that is worth. The double undercut was by far one of the best improvements on the gun, it is a Gen 3 and I also added a grip force adapter.

JG

I'd have to agree that it makes the gun worse. I have two G35's, one lightened and one not. The lightened one feels a lot worse than the relatively stock gun. Both guns are Limited/Tactical guns.

IMHO the only reason to lighten the slide in a Lim/Tac pistol is to use lower PF ammo that doesn't work in a normal weight slide --- steel gun.

Is the consensus that slide lightening causes less muzzle flip (and better sight recovery) but more felt recoil? I'd be fine with that...if the sights get back on target faster, then the additional violence wouldn't much matter...

Religious Shooter - you say it makes the gun "worse" so I assume you noticed more felt recoil...but did you notice the reduced muzzle flip/improved sight recovery that others have mentioned?

if the sights get back on target faster, then the additional violence wouldn't much matter...

Assuming this is true, I just have a hard time purposely paying good money, knowing I'll get a harsher gun out of it. I have carpal tunnel due to being a programmer and coming off of a full sized 1911 to a 25 ounce Glock shooting factory .40, I can tell that it is already much harsher, or violent as it was stated. I can definitely feel the bad/uncomfortable vibrations tons more. If anything I want to make this aspect better, not worse. I get conflicting opinions and statements about it, but it seems that the guys who have shot both overwhelmingly say that lightening it makes it worse in this department.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It's probably not for everybody...and in fact, if the muzzle flip isn't reduced, it might not be for ANYBODY...but I have no hand/arm troubles and I'd be fine with more violence in general if it meant I could be back on target faster and with more precision. Frankly, I'm doubting that you could increase the general violence factor and end up with less muzzle flip and faster sight recovery. If it were something I could buy and then throw away if I didn't like it, I'd try it...but as it is, I'd like to hear some more guys say that their gun gets back on target faster with the cuts.

My STI does work better after I had the slide lightened. Its a 6 inch and with the factory weight slide was getting more bounce almost like a wet noodle. The lightening did help it a lot as its approximately 5 inch weight. The problem with the glock is its already a light gun and more violent than a heavier 2011. Taking even more weight off makes it even worse. The spring weight does a lot for the glock but I would leave the slide as is. The taran tactical guns are left without cuts as well for same reason it makes it move violent and not handle as well

If it were something I could buy and then throw away if I didn't like it, I'd try it...but as it is, I'd like to hear some more guys say that their gun gets back on target faster with the cuts.

Yeah that's what sucks. Once you're done, there ain't no going back.

I would imagine on a 40 shooting factory it wouldn't be worth it. I can definitely see it making the gun harder to handle but i can't say for sure because i'v never tried it. IMHO don't invest your money into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont do it. I do not have my Glocks lightened but I did have a M&P pro 40 limited gun done. The gun is a lot more violent with a lightened slide and dont by the bs about less muzzle flip if the gun is more violent then so is the flip. The reason people say they can track the sights faster is the slide action is faster. Lightened slide are awesome on 2011 because of all the weight in the gun/slide but polymer guns are another story unless running minor loads.

I have a Zev 24 Longshot that shoots softer and more accurately than my standard G35. Both have SS recoil rods but the Zev has a heavy brass magwell and plug. The weights of slides w/o barrel and rods are

G35-3 15.06oz

G34-4 13.33oz

Zev 24 13.80oz

I have a Zev 24 Longshot that shoots softer and more accurately than my standard G35. Both have SS recoil rods but the Zev has a heavy brass magwell and plug. The weights of slides w/o barrel and rods are

G35-3 15.06oz

G34-4 13.33oz

Zev 24 13.80oz

Think about the effects of lightening the slide have on the physics of an already light gun. How would reducing the weight of the slide and, with it, the gun help with recoil? I just don't understand how reducing the mass of the gun reduces recoil. The standard laws of motion apply, don't they? Help me out here. I must be missing something.

Edited by Bart Solo