Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lightening slide with .40 major?

MetropolisLake

The weigh of the heavy magwell and plug have a lot too do with it shooting softer. Take it off and see the difference. I have shot both and the unlighted one was easier to shoot as it's not as violent. The 2011s can benefit from a lighten slide. The glock save the money and go std weight

I have both, a lightened slide on my G22 and a stock slide on my G35. I feel the G22 is a bit sharper then the G35 but chalked this up to the difference in length. I want both pistols to shoot flatter so I've done some research and experimenting. I recently installed a Lone Wolf threaded barrel and compensator on the G35 and the change was dramatic. Something no one has mentioned (and maybe because this isn't allowed in whatever class you're shooting) is changing the guide rod/spring out. I recently read a great post here in the 1911 forum that also had a video attached showing the difference in springs with different weights and the effect they had on lock time and muzzle rise. After watching the video and doing a little more research I purchased a 15lb spring for my G22. It just arrived so I haven't had a chance to try it out but the idea is with the slide being "lightened" the 2lb reduction in the spring should compensate for the reduced mass allowing the gun to shoot flatter and stay on target better. I'm also going to try it out on the G35 as Lone Wolf suggests running a lighter spring on compensated pistols. I'll post after I get my G35 back and reassembled after cerakoting...

Regards,

Paul

Here's how I see it. My Zev 24 longshot weighs around 32oz unloaded. Upper to frame balance is ~14:18oz. Since most of the weight is on the bottom I think it benefits from a pendulum-like counter balance. The lightened slide and 15lb recoil spring feels good and guys tell me it looks/shoots flat. I like my G35, it's a sweet gun (not stock) but the Zev feels even better.

It is simple physics, the added weight down low will counter the less weight up high. When a upper is lightened and the lower is stock, it will be a harsher recoil impulse, but will have less flip. The lightened slide does look cool, but if it would be a carry gun or self defense gun, stay away from all of the holes, just more places for dirt and grit to create a stoppage.

stay away from all of the holes, just more places for dirt and grit to create a stoppage.

I ended up mostly just getting some serrations. Got a muzzle angle cut because the builder was adamant that it would be awesome but I turned down the side cuts which is where most of the reduced weight comes from. They look great but on a .40 shooting factory ammo? Makes no sense to me.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 2 weeks later...