Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this safe?

igolfat8

Is it safe to store Small Pistol Primers in a glass jar? I have a few thousand I want to store and it would take up far less space in my safe if I took them out of the individual containers and put them in a glass jar. I don't see why I couldn't do that since its not under any vibration or exposed to air.

igolfat8 NRA Classification: Marksman

Depends of your definition of safe.

Will they go bad? Probably not since if they stay dry, everythings fine.

Did you just make a bomb? Yep. I have heard about but not witnessed a person carrying a pail of primers "disappearing". Might be a old wives tale but..

Not if you have witnessed a 650 primer tube going off you can appreciate what 100 primers going off is like when they are touching each other. The plastic packaging is to contain an explosion and separate the primers as well as keep em dry.

Edited by BSeevers

Perfectly safe but you need to remember to drill a 1/16" hole in the lid.

Now place a 6" cotton string soaked in diesel fuel through the hole.

All Done.

Oh wait... I thought we were building a bomb. If not, then no, not safe. :)

Don't listen to the nay sayers.... I have approx 30k primers stored in a sealed 1 gallon glass jar...never an explosion...and I'll occasionally shake them up in the jar.....Did I mention that they were all spent?

Leave the primers in their original packaging until needed.

Don't listen to the nay sayers.... I have approx 30k primers stored in a sealed 1 gallon glass jar...never an explosion...and I'll occasionally shake them up in the jar.....Did I mention that they were all spent?

I have a Lee Jockchucker Primer Reloading Press for sale if you're interested. Comes with dies for large and small pistol/rifle primers. Make me an offer and it's yours.

I have a Lee Jockchucker Primer Reloading Press for sale if you're interested. Comes with dies for large and small pistol/rifle primers. Make me an offer and it's yours.
I'll trade you 30k once used primers for it...

I am thinking back to my childhood at one of the times I almost killed myself and would give the thumbs down on storing anything that can expand violently into a glass container. Some people might even call it an IED these days.

Thanks for all the responses. So whats the difference between storing a pound or jug of powder in a jar, albeit plastic? Powder can go boom too. I am not a chemist and don't know what's inside of primers so maybe I am missing the big picture???

Edited by igolfat8

Thanks for all the responses. So whats the difference between storing a pound or jug of powder in a jar, albeit plastic? Powder can go boom too. I am not a chemist and don't know what's inside of primers so maybe I am missing the big picture???

Primers by comparison are far more explosive/powerful.

Smokeless powder is more like 'flammable and produces gas' vs highly explosive; it's the containment of the powder in a casing and barrel that makes it explosive. Powder containers are also designed for holding powder specifically, something about them splitting open vs allowing any pressure to build up.

Edited by rtp

Primers are designed to go off with an impact and are explossive, smokeless powder is classified as a propellent (as stated above smokeless powder only explodes if it is contained, and this would be due to the containing vessel failing at a high pressure).

Edited by igolfat8, Today, 11:25 AM.

When "soft" plastic like jugs, bags and such light off around you, you may get your eyebrows burned off and or some plastic melted to your skin or clothing. Using glass or brittle materials like PVC for example can build up more pressure and when they finally give way they generally fracture into many pieces that have a lot more energy than any part that might seperate off a plastic jug. All of the sharp little shards have more of a chance going into you to cause more than just surface damage.

The absolute best thing would be to leave the jar alone and contact your local bomb squad to remove it.

It you are keen on salvaging them - first off - be VERY careful. Each individual primer has, as a round number 10 ft-lbs of energy contained in the primer pellet. If you have 5000 in a jar, you have an extremely dangerous situation.

Ask your reloading friends if they can give you their empty primer boxes. If necessary, contact the manufactirer of the primers and ask them to send you empty boxes.

Once you have the boxes, even decanting the primers from the jar is risky. Definitely wear protection (EOD suit would be good!) and proceed with great care. Too much jostling, static or impact can be disastrous.

I had not understood originally that you had already put the primers in a glass jar. Not a good situation at all.

Guy