Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 Mags not dropping

kmaultsby

Hello everyone just shot first IDPA match of the new year this past Saturday with my new Glock 22 and for some reason after my last shot slide lock and when I hit the magazine release the mag will not drop. I had to pull it with my strong hand. I installed a factory extended mag release but I had the same problem with standard also. Any Ideas?

is it a new 4 you? or is it a brand new glock 4 you?

I once bought a pair GEN 1 mags, the non drop type, stupid i now.

Mabey a change in de mag releas, now i use the zev extended mag releas.

And no problem annymore with mags that are unwilling to drop

It is a new 40 S&W Gen 3. I had one years ago but sold it to a friend. I am thinking of getting back in to Glock because I live in Cali and you can get parts to you use in limited.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone just shot first IDPA match of the new year this past Saturday with my new Glock 22 and for some reason after my last shot slide lock and when I hit the magazine release the mag will not drop. I had to pull it with my strong hand. I installed a factory extended mag release but I had the same problem with standard also. Any Ideas?

"...had to pull it with my strong hand...". Makes no sense. You obviously switched hands with the gun...why exactly?

"..installed a factory extended mag release.." Not sure why you did that but it sounds like you might have done it incorrectly.

Since you are 2000 miles from Glock, find yourself a Glock certified armorer (the gunsmith in many shops will be a Glock armorer) and get him to look at it. An armorer can order any necessary parts from Glock. The mag retention/release system is simple mechanically, but not intuitive to reassemble. Since you had it apart I'm betting you did something wrong. There is nothing in the mechanism that restricts free fall of the magazine assuming it is assembled correctly and you have the proper mag. It is possible for an extremely dirty mag cavity to fail to easily release the mag just due to friction and stickiness, so it's worth wiping out the cavity and cleaning the mag exterior, but that's a long shot.

I'm not trying to be insulting, please do not take it as such, but dropping a mag is a pretty simple thing. If it required pulling it out you have something wrong and if you changed hands you need to work on gun handling skills. Changing hands takes a lot of time, exposes you to dropping the gun or violating the safety plane, and just makes no sense. I've reworded this a couple of times to avoid sounding like a smartass and it still is not right. Sorry I sound like a lecturer, I'm not. Just trying to convey some info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Armor All is a nice and simple solution. Do this for my Limited magazines that have extensions.

I use Armor All on used mags that stick. I also have one of those silicone gun wipes in my stage bag if I get a sticky on at a match.

What kind of ground is your range?? Ours is a really light, dusty clay/sand/gravel mix (where limited nationals is held) and I'm wondering if the Armor All ends up picking up lots of dirt!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try to avoid going to slide lock so there is still some pressure on the mag, or you could try adding weight to the baseplates somehow, Ive seen this done before to fix that exact problem.