Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many is to many rounds?

chanman

If I were to look at buying a used open gun, how many rounds do you consider a "high" round count , with open guns being hard on them selves

Im just curious at how many rounds would make you skip on a particular gun, assuming the price corresponds with the mileage and condition

50-60K would be high on a gun that I already own. I wouldn't buy one with that many rounds on it, but it would probably be good for 80-100K before major parts need to be replaced.

You will hardly ever find one advertised as having that many rounds through it. Either people don't count, or "only 3K rounds" sounds way better than 30K.

I usually trade up every year or two. I just like to keep with the current styles. In a year or two, the way I like to swap guns around, I may only put 10K on one if I really shoot it a lot. I shoot 3-4 matches a month and typically change guns for 2 or three of them.

I sold my last one because I wanted a slide racker(it was cut in back so we couldn't dovetail) and a regular no hybrid barrel, I was gonna just put a (blank no hybrid barrel in) but this didn't help with a slide racker.

It was on its 3rd barrel/comp and had around 135,000 rds and I would shoot it all year, right now. Parts wear out but they can be replaced. I can't tell you how many extractors, ejectors and the like that I replaced

Since I had just put the barrel/comp in, the guy that bought it got a great deal.

Edited by BSeevers

assuming the price corresponds with the mileage and condition

You answer your own question :cheers:

As long as the price reflects the mileage, anything can be a good deal; what constitutes a 'good deal' is subject to the buyer's willingness to tweak, tune and replace parts. If someone buys a gun and just doesn't like the way it balances, points or shoots, it will likely take them less than a thousand rounds to figure that out; in that case, I'd be willing to pay nearly retail depending on the rarity, or wait time for a new one (some people are willing to pay more than retail to get their hands on it immediately, possibly avoiding sales tax), I'd say the next bracket is the 10K-30K rounds used pistol which should be worth 60-80% of a new one, depending on fit and finish. Personally, I consider a pistol with more than 30K rounds on it a project, which I would expect to tinker with and replace some parts before I got it running just right. I'd want a pretty good deal on such a pistol (read half price or better).

Thats the main thing I was wondering im new to high round count and major pf. So I was curious if 10k was to high or 40k. Looks like if seller is honest I should stay under 10k, I would plan to keep it a while and I only shoot 1-2 matches a month

Hmmmm, a good dependable newer, but used, Open gun is $3,000 easy, just gun. I've shot the same frame for over ten years. Parts break and wear out and there is maintenance. I've replaced every part on my gun twice, some parts 3 times. Originally the gun was a stock STI Competitor, the fore runner of the Trubore.

I wouldn't let my determinant be the round count so much as the price. A 100,000 round gun for $1,000-1,200 might be a great deal. Shoot it and rebuild it as needed.

I think a gun with 10,000 rounds or so on the odometer is a good figure to look for. I would be very hesitant to touch anything with more than that unless the price was too good to pass up. the cost of replacing major components such as a slide or barrel is a big expense when you factor in gunsmithing, shipping costs and wait time so one has to be sure that its worth it if major stuff has to be fixed.

i think it's like buying a car, milage is one thing but maintenance and condition are different. I would take a high mile, garage kept, mechanic serviced car before I would buy a low milage rental. that's just me though.

I haven't seen in ever on this forum, but other forums I don't think you can trust round counts. I sold a guy my used glock which I know had 2k+ rounds on it but very little wear. I Told him that, too. Later saw him listing it NIB and damn near MSRP.

Value depends on what you want to do to it and how much you're willing to invest. I bought a Les Baer online sight unseen from Bud's for like $700 shipped a few years ago. I figured at that price, if I had to fix a barrel and slide it was still worth it. Turns out the gun was in great shape with light holster wear, but otherwise it was a steal. I knew I would be getting that much value in parts and I could wait and fix it up slowly. If you want to do that and it's a good deal on an open gun, go for it.

I'd rather spend my money on 25,000-35,000 rds a year plus go to major matches then just kept trading up on my gun ...

My new Shadow will be with me until I move to Open, at which point I'll have a custom gun built from scratch, and that one will most likely only become available in my will ...