Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 degree mounts. Worth it or not?

hysupra

I'm setting up an open rifle and am wondering if any of you actually use the offset sights? I don't see me ever needing it, but I could be wrong. Also adds a good amount of weight. Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

Rob

I like a Red Dot for close up stuff....I set the zero at 25 yards. Plus if you are shooting "open" why not?...having a second sight gives you one more option. I had a cross hair break apart on me many years back....even if you do not use it...there is a plan "B".

I have one on my Open rifle and yes I use it. Very helpfull when you have to transition between long and short targets more than once. Saves turning my scope ring and gives me one less thing to think about. I almost never change scope power on the clock. The weight is negligible and is far enough back you won't notice it.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I use a 3moa dot, and shoot the offset sight on everything under 50 yards. Zeroed at 25 yards, I hold where I want the bullet to go out to 50, and only compensate for mechanical offset under 10 yards on the tiny clays in the hostage targets. (Thanks for THAT evil target setup, Doug!)

I use the Warne RAMP mount with the Burris and a Vortex 1-6 Razor HD. The dot fits fine, but the zoom ring on the Razor is so big there isn't room for a zoom lever without machining the mount.

Add note- The RAMP is rigid, but H.E.A.V.Y.!!!! I will be milling a bunch of excess material out of it the next time the scope comes off. As if the Razor isn't heavy enough, the mount is a tank too!

Edited by openclassterror