Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Unlocking on Reload?

Reload'n' Lizard

I'm having a strange problem when I reload my G34. The slide will come back out of battery about 1/8".

The gun will do this more often with a 13# recoil spring but will sometimes do it with the stock spring as well when I insert the mag forcefully.

I'm using a reduced power striker spring and ten round mags.

Anybody got any ideas?

LIZARD OUT

Lizard,

I read of a test for the recoil spring. It may have been in a Glock publication but I can't remember.

Unload your gun,

Point your unloaded gun in a vertical position and pull the slide all the way back.

Slowly release the slide and let it return to battery.

It should always return to battery without any assistance.

If the recoil spring is weak, it will not go into battery.

FWIW

dj

Lizard,

I read of a test for the recoil spring. It may have been in a Glock publication but I can't remember.

Unload your gun,

Point your unloaded gun in a vertical position and pull the slide all the way back.

Slowly release the slide and let it return to battery.

It should always return to battery without any assistance.

If the recoil spring is weak, it will not go into battery.

FWIW

dj

I think you also need to pull the trigger while doing that.

The test is:

Unloaded gun.

Check again to make sure gun is unloaded.

Pull trigger and hold to the rear.

Point muzzle toward sky, cycle slide, letting it ride forward gently.

Slide should close fully --- if not it might be time for new springs.....

I read somewhere that test is only valid when using Glock springs. Don't know if that is true and can't remember where I read it.:unsure:

Do you mean Glock springs throughout the complete gun???

In any event it is still a valid test no matter what springs you are using anywhere in the gun.

On a Glock 20 that is all stock...seems to make more of a difference as where you put the oil than new or used spring.

Using this test I can't get it to go into battery with a new or used spring all of the time.

Tom

13# recoil spring

there is the problem..there had to be a reason GLOCK didnt put a 13 pound recoil spring in the glock 34 anyways..

I suggest putting the factory springs back in the gun and go practice!

things to make a glock NOT work:

weak wrist.

underpowered ammo,

10 round mags LOADED FULL

non-standard recoil spring .

if you are shooting major loads the slide will not go back into battery i have a glock 34 and when i shoot major loads i need to use a 15lb spring because the 13 will not push the slide back into battery. even with factory loads i wouldnt reccomend a 13 lb spring unless you have a ported or compensated barrel, i would stick with 15lb or so.

if you are shooting major loads the slide will not go back into battery i have a glock 34 and when i shoot major loads i need to use a 15lb spring because the 13 will not push the slide back into battery.

What does the power factor of the ammo have to do with whether or not the gun will go back into battery?

things to make a glock NOT work:

non-standard recoil spring .

even with factory loads i wouldnt reccomend a 13 lb spring unless you have a ported or compensated barrel, i would stick with 15lb or so.

I recently switched to the Glock 34 for carry, USPSA and IDPA. I'm coming up on 1,700 rounds through the piece (I know, it's almost through the break-in period) without a single malf. Last night I was at the range running some 9mm +P and +P+ through a SIG P226 for an article. When I was done I had about 150 rounds of assorted ball-to-the-walls factory 9mm left over....and I had my Glock....

Fired it all up - with a 13-pound recoil spring. No problem, no malfunctions.

Whoa whoa whoa! DT, you are using a G34 for carry, USPSA and IDPA?

Sorry for the thread drift, but what is going on here?

I can add that I mic'ed a G35 to a SS 1911 and the differences in dimensions were neglible. I think the 1911 is more "roundy" so smoother to carry IWB, but the G35 is lighter and holds several more rounds. I suppose a lot would depend on the carry method.

Maybe this could be a new thread? The Glocksters would like to know what you are up to, I'm sure.

Tom Bergman

Lizard,

I saw this problem at the wed night match . I would say this is an issue of magazine catch and magazine wear . I think the mag is going up into the gun to far forcing the slide out of battery. solution change the catch and look at all the bodies for groved wear paterns on the lower side of the mag capture grove on the left side of the mag as inserted.

by the way this guy can make a glock talk.It was cool to put a name with a face and skills to boot. Johnnie