Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tru-Bor 9mm Recoil Spring replacement

nelly

Hi all, How is this spring changed ? when I take the guide rod out it still has my little paper clip holder on it while it's still compressed. I've never taken it apart.Any help is greatly appreciated (1st Tru-Bor) Thanks....

Edited by nelly

• 4 weeks later...

Hand press against a solid surface. Be careful and keep your face away from in front of it. i.e safety glasses etc .

Its only an 8 or 9 lbs spring so it not very hard to do it. See STI's FAQ's on their home page

Thanks jcc7x7 & Sarge Just the info I was waiting for, Tru-Bor is running good, what's your replacement schedule for this spring ? I have approx. 2,000 rds of 9mm Major thru at this point in time, Gun will be 1yr old in Feb.

Thanks jcc7x7 & Sarge Just the info I was waiting for, Tru-Bor is running good, what's your replacement schedule for this spring ? I have approx. 2,000 rds of 9mm Major thru at this point in time, Gun will be 1yr old in Feb.

I shoot 7000-7500 a year and go through 2 springs. I start the season with a new one and change it mid summer.

It depends on the Spring weight you use. A 9 pound spring should be good for about 5 K rounds. An 8 Pound I try and swap about ever 2500-3000. The best feeling for me is a 7 pound which is about a 1k round spring and the gun has to be kept clean to run. I have an 8 pound in it now.

Edited by EkuJustice

It depends on the Spring weight you use. A 9 pound spring should be good for about 5 K rounds. An 8 Pound I try and swap about ever 2500-3000. The best feeling for me is a 7 pound which is about a 1k round spring and the gun has to be kept clean to run. I have an 8 pound in it now.

Same here. A 7 feels fantastic but the gun has to be kept very clean and you have to carry a bag of springs in your range bag. I too am running an 8 but I think I am going to try to run 7's this year and see how it goes

I run an 8 pound spring in my full size Bedell 9 major open gun. I change springs at 4000 rounds or when the old spring is a full coil shorter than a new spring, which ever happens first. Dan specifies Wolf springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I go through a box 3700 of Montana Gold bullets I change the spring and clean the gun. complete clean with grip off. it gets lube in between and the exterior wiped off. using a 9lbs spring (Wolff)