Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to find powder

Parsons

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the cost of all components for 50BMG, just can't see it being a high volume round for civilians. Even in the panic, where some may want to have components or completed rounds in the tens of thousands for pistol and .223/5.56, I expect the counterpart for 50BMG is probably closer to 1-2k rounds or so, if that. I've seen 50BMG primers all along, as well as it being one of the only available milsurp powders, as well.

Well, I should be good on pistol for a bit at least, although I'd probably be thrilled were I shooting Major. 12# of Silhouette, 1# of AutoComp. Add to that 8# of Xterminator, 1# each of H322, H335, and AA2230.

I'll still need to pick up some more powder, but I should be OK for a while, hopefully during which time availability will improve.

• 2 weeks later...

I am at an all new level of desperation. Some shop in Pennsylvania has all the titegroup on earth and is selling it slowly on gunbroker. I bid $230 on an 8lb and didn't even hit the reserve. 48 hrs form now I am going to submit to theft and go all out.

I am at an all new level of desperation. Some shop in Pennsylvania has all the titegroup on earth and is selling it slowly on gunbroker. I bid $230 on an 8lb and didn't even hit the reserve. 48 hrs form now I am going to submit to theft and go all out.

Don't submit to the equivalent of being mugged and beaten on the street. Patience is a virtue.

Don't submit to the equivalent of being mugged and beaten on the street. Patience is a virtue.

^^^ This!

People actually paying these prices are why they are what they are.

Looking for powder on gunbot has become my newest hobby. It's fascinating.

Seems like a good supply of rifle powders are showing up but very little applicable to pistol.

Cabela's had Unique this morning but it may have been some kind of glitch because I clicked the link when less than 1 minute old and they showed zero stock.

Natchez has PB...

I have enough various stuff on hand to last for the next six months or so with my current useage so I'm not too worried at this point. Still would like to pick up a big jug of n340 soon.

Picked up a 4# jug of 700-X and 4,000 Federal primers (LP and SP) at "fin-feather-fur", Interstate 71 off of Exit 186 between Columbus and Cleveland today, we just happened to be passing by, through so we stopped in. I'm planning on using 700-X as a replacement for Bullseye in .38 SPL as my Bullseye supply dwindles, with no resupply in sight.

There were kegs of H-110 in stock (not sure if or how H-110 would work for any competition-type pistol loads, I've only ever used it as a .44 Magnum hunting load), and lots of rifle powders. Also, lots of primers, including the extra-hard #34 and #41 CCI rifle primers. Also, PB and Trail Boss in 1# bottles.

Edited by johnmac

Hello, I AM the problem. I just broke down and paid $226 for 4 lbs of titegroup on Gunbroker. I thought I was bidding on 8lbs until I won. I feel like the biggest tool on earth.

Hopefully that includes shipping & lube :surprise:

covers shipping but not the shame...

I think this reloading is making us all feel a little silly these days. I've been putting it off for years, and finally dove in and bought an XL650 and all the trimmings from benos yesterday. Have ordered up plenty of .45 bullets, some extra brass, and thought I had the powder licked until my local guy told me tonight that all he got in today was 800x, which apparently doesn't work well and play nice with the 650 and other progressives. Just my luck. Supplier has plenty of WLP primers but his outlook for powder was pretty bleak. He is telling everyone to buy powder two years ahead when they can find it. Looks like my new 650 may just be a workbench decoration for a while!

covers shipping but not the shame...

I think this reloading is making us all feel a little silly these days. I've been putting it off for years, and finally dove in and bought an XL650 and all the trimmings from benos yesterday. Have ordered up plenty of .45 bullets, some extra brass, and thought I had the powder licked until my local guy told me tonight that all he got in today was 800x, which apparently doesn't work well and play nice with the 650 and other progressives. Just my luck. Supplier has plenty of WLP primers but his outlook for powder was pretty bleak. He is telling everyone to buy powder two years ahead when they can find it. Looks like my new 650 may just be a workbench decoration for a while!

Call around locally a bit. I was surprised to see a pretty decent collection of powder at an 'almost local' gun shop, including some harder to find powders, and another one (also an hour+ away) gets in powder somewhat regularly, if not in huge quantities.

Also, sign up for notifications and monitor a few places online, and be ready to buy NOW versus casually putting things into the cart, looking for projectiles or anything else non-Hazmat..figure out which powders will work 'well enough' in priority/desirability order, how much of each you want/need, and be ready to pull the trigger.

For this year, I had been hoping to place a single powder/primer order, but I didn't do too bad, 2 orders including 16# 8208-XBR, some 4756, 7625, 12# of Silhouette, some Xterminator and a few 1#-ers of powders I wanted to try. No TAC or CFE for this year, nor WSF, but all very workable for what I shoot, and some of it even preferred.

On the plus side, primers and projectiles are more or less readily available again, except possibly for Federal + Remington, don't think I've seen either brand in stock nearly anywhere..

• 1 month later...

This topic is still a pain...just drove around town to 4 LGS's and only two had some powders in stock and nothing in pistol powders. I'm holding out for WST or Clays to load 9mm minor and 45 ACP. Got my own SDB press all set up too. At least I'm set for Limited minor for the year so I can still enjoy the trigger time part of the hobby!