Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the platform, questions.

mike g35

I'm not a new shooter but I am new to the XDm. I picked up a 5.25" XDm 9mm yesterday and I'm planning to shoot it in production in 2014. So, who does the best trigger work? What other modifications would you suggest that will improve performance but not make the gun illegal for the production division? What bullet weights are giving you the best performance in your 5.25's? I've got my eye on a company already that (according to my searches here) seems to be the preferred company of the XDm crowd, but it never hurts to ask and I'm open to any and all opinions and advice. Thanks in advance.

First of all welcome to the XDM family. I am going into my third season with a 5.25 that has been flawless throughout - nary a hiccup - Now if I could just be able to say the same thing for myself.

Trigger etc. basically four main places - my personal first choice is Canyon Creek in Illinois. Rich is a master of the XD platform and does not just the fix of the trigger but the entire gun making the stock gun into a fine tuned beauty. I have friends who have used Springer Precision and Powder River precision with equal results. Probably pretty equal from what I hear on the boards and from use of others guns - each does their triggers a little different but still pretty good. Finally there is SA - Springfield Armory who also does a pretty good job but in ranking would have them #4 on the list. I have three guns from Rich and like I say, other than operator error very sweet. As for production legal stuff, all in the manual - sights, trigger, internal polishing, grip tape and think that is about it. As for ammo I have not gotten reloading into my skill set but 147's is what I use when I can get it but others that do custom have the whole formula set and is already on this board.

Again, good choice of a production gun. Lot of them out there and most perform well, eat most ammo and deliver - at least mine does. I also have a 4..5 XDM backup that Rich worked on and the times I have switched off and used it in a match don't really notice the difference between that and my main gun.

Hope that helps - have fun.

Edited by gunshrink

I put a PRP drop in trigger in mine and it is pretty nice. Infinitely better than stock. Took 5 minutes instead of weeks and $$$$ to ship etc. I have never thought it worth it to send a Production gun away to a gunsmith with the quality of drop in parts on the market. I slapped some grip tape on it and changed to a lighter recoil spring. I run 124 MG's right now over 231 and it shoots just fine.

My wife and I both shoot XDM 5.25 9mm's. Both have PR triggers, mine is the ultimate hers the drop in. Can't really tell much difference between them. I'd go with the drop in. We shoot 147gr. Started with Federal AE 147's then got into reloading since when you're talking 2 shooters, ammo gets expensive real fast. Been loading Berry's 147gr RN over 3.9gr Power Pistol at 1.133 OAL Winchester or CCI primers. They feel similar to the Federal factory and chrono around 135 PF. Soft shooting. Am experimenting with different 147's this winter from Bayou, Precision and Extreme we'll see.....

You'll be happy with your present, it will do the job if you do yours.

JD

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer PRP for trigger work. I started with the drop in and then sent it to them about a year latter. I like their sear and I like that the trigger stop is on the trigger instead of the trigger bar. Just personal and uneducated preferences

I also recommend their striker retainer pins, reduced power mag-release spring and the heaviest guide rod you can use... I believe you can only use a steel one in Production but don't quote me on that.

The grip tape is helpful but comes off easily, especially on the back strap so plan on having to replace it. I eventually had PRP do the texture on mine, They did the competition texture on the front and back strap and the carry texture everywhere else. I really like it for normal matches but it can get a little rough for multi-day training classes. I took 3 days of training with Manny Bragg last year and by the end of the weekend my hand was so tapped up people where teasing me for looking like Michael Jackson.

I love the Pistol Gear slam pads. Especially for indoor matches on concrete but they also give you a little better leverage for mag changes. I put the large ones on two years ago and they still look great.

I just added Canyon Creeks B1 over sized mag release but that isn't production legal. I originally had the PRP which was cool because it doesn't rotate but the smaller diameter was a little hard on my thumb during extended practices.

Congrats, you got a great gun, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

I have been running the Powder River drop in kit in my 5.25 9mm for a couple years now and it been flawless, also have the stainless steel guide rod, and Powder River granular grip tape. The tape has not moved at all from where I put it and still has plenty of traction. Mine also likes 147gr lead which I usually shoot over SR7625, but have been working on some E3 loads too. It seems to like .357 projectiles a little better on my reloads too.

Springer precision! Love the trigger job Scott did on my 5.25 xdm9 as well as their customer service. Very helpful and friendly. Also got his grip tape for the other xdm and the extended mag release.

I'm currently running 124's in factory loaded ammo and 124mg hollow points and sr7625 in my reloads at 1.14. No failures yet. I never got around to trying 147's as MG never has the case in stock.

I have been shooting a xdm 9mm for the past 2 years in steel and production uspsa. Loved it so much just bought the canyon creek xdm .40 custom. In the 9mm I run a prp ultimate trigger kit. It was very easy to install if you are not afraid of doing a little sear work. If not the drop in prp kit is great. Watch the YouTube videos and it installs in no time. I shot MG 124 jhp with titegroup last year with a 16lb spring and switched to bayou 124gr rn this past year still with titegroup. With either bullet NEVER had a malfunction or failure. Love the xdm's !!!

I've had my xdm 5.25 9mm for about two years now. Used it for production but now pretty much limited. Just put in a prp drop in trigger, extended mag release and springer guide rod weights. Using arrendo Mag extensions, only getting 21 in a mag. Ordered some canyon ext. a few days ago to try out. I am using Berrys 124 gr RN with 4.5 gr autocomp 1.15. 147 gr work well, I just prefer the feel with the 124. Still do production except I use my XD 40 for that. Occasionally I use my SA mil spec 1911 for single stack. Love those Springfields.

I put a PRP drop in trigger in mine and it is pretty nice. Infinitely better than stock. Took 5 minutes instead of weeks and $$$$ to ship etc. I have never thought it worth it to send a Production gun away to a gunsmith with the quality of drop in parts on the market. I slapped some grip tape on it and changed to a lighter recoil spring. I run 124 MG's right now over 231 and it shoots just fine.

What lb triigger spring you put in for the 124 MG I will be using 147?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a trigger built by Springer in my 9mm 5.25 ESP/SSP and production gun, which made sense because I wanted a pretty light pull weight (2.75#) and I like they way their triggers break. The best advice I can give you though is to try and find someone with a PRP kit in their XDm and one with the Springer parts and just try them both because they are pretty different. I like narrower front sights so I have a Dawson 0.100 fiber front on it. You don't necessarily need to go that narrow, but the stock front sight is too wide in my opinion (I think it's a 0.125). Aside from the trigger parts, sight, and a 16lb Wolff recoil spring, the gun is stock, because it really doesn't take much to be competitive with an XDm.