Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Mag Pouch: How can I hold 6 + 1?

acpie360

I am setting up a rig for the Single Stack. I'd like to be able to carry at least 6 mags on the belt going onto a stage. The LAMR mag and/or the barney mag will come from my cargo pocket if I don't have enough space on the belt. This is my plan for now. However, I can't decide what kind of mag pouch I should use. I know a good mag pouch may cost some, but I rather do it right and do it once. My waist is only about 32", so not a lot of rooms there. Thanks.

I run six in SS myself, of course space on my belt is not an issue I am sad to say. I have a combination of Uncle Mikes and Baldetech, until I can find enough of either one to run all the same kind. You may want to look into some of the "quad" (I think Bladetech makes one) setups if reaching-around is a consideration. I have also seen, but was not able to find when I looked, a SS mag pouch that oriented the mags 90 degrees to the belt, thin wise if you get my drift. I would like to know who made it but never found out.

The Safariland 775 triple mag pouches work well, and you can angle them on the belt to make the mags easier to reach. If you aren't running an ELS belt you can get a Tek-Loc and attach the triple pouch to that at whatever angle you want. I have a larger waist than you, but with the triple pouch in the back can easily get seven on the belt with room to spare. The Safariland triple pouch with a tekloc should cost less than 40 bones.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/magazine-belt-pouches/79-775-slimline-open-top-magazine-pouches-prod42675.aspx

post-9934-0-56358300-1387854610_thumb.jp

Double Alpha Academy Racers with the SS Adapters. They also make a SS Racer pouch but I don't believe they can rotate 90 degrees out.

The SS pouches can be rotated 90 degrees with modification. Here's a video of how it's done:

Any idea how wide the DAA belt attachment is? Wondering if by turning 6 DAA pouches 90 degrees this would take up less real estate than three Blade-Tech double mag pouches.

The belt attachment/loop "foot print" for the DAA SS/Classic pouches is about the same width as the mag pouch when mounted sideways/90 degs.

Mounted sideways/90 deg, you could get 6 with finger space between each pouch in the same amount it takes to mount 3 regular pouches .

Jojo Vidanes uses the DAA pouches and using them in the regular configuration he gets 8 pouches next to each other. :surprise:

I have a 32 inch waist as well, and to get to your "oh $#!t" mag you will have to reach around to the small of your back. I use Uncle Mike's kydex pouches and they work fine. I'm not going to rave about them or anything, but they do the job. Mags are close enough together, while maintaining enough separation to grab them individually. If I am not careful though I can fling an adjacent mag out accidentally. My fault though - not the pouches.

I've seen guys run these quad pouches from blade tech. one trick is to run a short screw in the outside pouches so that the outside mags are a little higher and easier to grab. this way you get 4 mags in the space of 2

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/magazine-belt-pouches/quad-mag-pouch-prod26453.aspx?psize=96&avs|Make_3=1911

That looks like a nice setup. I have not tried bullets out but may need to give it a shot.

I've really tested it hard the last two weeks in dry fire. Within about 30 min it was becoming pretty natural. What I have noticed is that in swinging my hand down to the mag, my thumb hits the side of the mag and my index finger naturally slides/hits the front of the mag and I seem to get the same grip on the mags all the way through the pouches.

With bullets forward I struggled to get the same consistent grip or position on a mag as I worked through the pouches.

I'm getting all six pouches in about the same real estate as I was with about 3.5 pouches bullets forward.

An added plus I noticed is that the mags are farther away from my body so in cool weather I am not getting my shirt or jacket tangled up with the mags.

the Spring Loaded Magazine Carrier (SLMC) for 1911 single stack mags works great...holds 7 mags and moves each mag forward as the front one is drawn from the pouch so each mag reach is to the exact same location and you don't need a ton of real estate for it....It is from Garrett Industries in Texas, I ordered one two weeks ago and received it within a weeks time.....it has also been approved to be IPSC legal

Edited by race1911