Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel swap on a tactical sport?

nsginc

I would also be interested if the conversion is truly as reliable as the 9 mm pistol. Are the extractors the same in both the .40 and 9 mm? If the slide ports are different will it eject the same without sometimes stove piping?

I have only had 1 FTE on my converted and that was when I was rapid firing really cheap loads of different brands using up the bottom of an ammo can. I wanted to see what happens switching between hallow and round and flat nose and different loads all in the same mag. One FTE from one of the rounds and the rest without a hitch. I would buy a 40 and convert it again before buying a 9mm ts any day

yeah extractors are obviously different but there's no reason you couldn't buy and fit a 9mm extractor. ejector may be different (I don't know). I know shadows here need the ejector cut at an angle to allow it to eject with 100% reliability. not sure on TS. ejection port is bigger on 40 than 9mm but that should not pose any problem. it would if you tried to shoot 40 out of a 9mm though (with the smaller ejection port).

I do a similar thing with my stock II tanfoglio. I have a stock II in 38 super (large frame). so it has larger ejection port and a 38 super extractor. I run a 9mm barrel and it works fine shooting 9mm. even still using the 38 super mags.

• 4 weeks later...

Will a 40 converted to 9mm use the 40 mags, or do you need to buy 9mm TS mags?

9mm mags, I tried 40 mags loaded with 9mm and a round would get slammed in the breech pointed straight up at the worst time. I even tried tuning the feed lips to 9mm specs, still didn't work.

When I read this thread last month I got all excited and ordered the correct 9mm barrel for my .40 TS (thanks for setting me straight Kneelingatlas) only to find that 9mm magazines are not available! All dressed up and nowhere to go...

When I read this thread last month I got all excited and ordered the correct 9mm barrel for my .40 TS (thanks for setting me straight Kneelingatlas) only to find that 9mm magazines are not available! All dressed up and nowhere to go...

Automatic Accuracy has the TS mags in 9mm (and 40) in stock.

http://automaticaccuracy.net/?wpsc-product=magazine-cz-75-tactical-sports

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"The new factory barrels need to be fit at the breech face, but a used 9 barrel will drop right in a 40 slide."

Why will a used 9 mm barrel drop right in to a .40 slide, but a new barrel would need to be fit?

"The new factory barrels need to be fit at the breech face, but a used 9 barrel will drop right in a 40 slide."

Why will a used 9 mm barrel drop right in to a .40 slide, but a new barrel would need to be fit?

They leave new ones oversize so you can fit them to your gun.

New barrels will need fit regardless of caliber.

A used barrel may fit, or it may be too tight or fit really loose. Tolerances can vary enough that questions about barrel swapping don't have yes or no answers.

That's the problem with used barrels, you won't know what you have until you buy it.

I'm not sure you need to change the extractor, but definely barrel and mags.

You do. The 9mm and .40 extractor are different. I would call CZC and ask for the right part.

If you don't think you need to change the extractor, take the barrel and guide rod off and slide a 9mm round inbetween the breechface and the extractor. Then wiggle the slide around. If the extractor cannot hold a fully loaded round, then you will probably face some extraction or other feeding issues.

So a new 9 mm barrel will need to be fitted to a 9 mm slide? And a barrel that came with a 9 mm slide will always just drop into a .40 slide?

Some minor fitting may be required but for the most part, you should be able to get a 9mm TS Barrel to work with on the .40 S&W slide.

Any idea if a 75 Shadow 9mm barrel will work reliably in a 75 SA .40? The end O.D. of the barrels should be the same according to what I've read...

Yes. However, you will need to get a 9mm extractor for reliability.

Edited by himurax13

• 4 years later...
On 12/21/2013 at 10:59 PM, Gigglemonkee said:

I got mine from cz custom when I ordered some other parts. kneelingatlas fitted the barrel for me in about 10 minutes and it has not had an issue since. I have since polished the feed ramp on it.

On 12/21/2013 at 10:59 PM, Gigglemonkee said:

I got mine from cz custom when I ordered some other parts. kneelingatlas fitted the barrel for me in about 10 minutes and it has not had an issue since. I have since polished the feed ramp on it.

Did you have to send your gun for fitment?

Edited by Marl71
Question has been asked already.