Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet hole round with a tear on one side of the hole

rhd2542

I'm shooting 180 gr hp montana gold with 4.9 gr of n 320. Oal 1.180 "

The bullet holes are round but there is a tear on one side of the bullet hole. It's almost as if the bullet is not entering the target straight. It seems to accurate but the hole are not perfectly round. I shoot my buddies rounds and they did make a round hole, same bullet and powder. I have changed the seating die but still does the same. This round is being shot thru a sv sight tracker.

I need some advise!!!

Pull one of your bullets. I'll bet you find some indent marks. You should only crimp just enough to take out the belling. You said you changed the seating die. Why? Do you run a separate crimp die? Does your friend use the same OAL? Does he have a separate crimp die? Is this your first attempt at loading for your gun?

This is the first time loading for this gun. I had a redding seating die which I changed back to Dillon Dies which has a separate crimping die. My buddies round was the same oal, his crimp was .418" which I did try today on my load. I bought this gun used with a very low round count. (500) The gun has a Shuemann AET barrel which has never been cleaned, and shot only MG bullets.

Normally with a "tumbling" issue you could look at several factors, one of which is overcrimping which damages the bullet, which is easily solved. However, some manufacturers have recently changed some of the twist rates in their barrels which might adversely affect bullets that are heavier for the caliber. Though most 40's will shoot 180grn bullets with excellent accuracy, and not all your bullets are showing this slight "yawing" on the target, it does sound like it could maybe be a stabilization issue which could be related to the barrel's twist rate. If you can find out from the barrel manufacturer just what they intended for bullet weight you might have more information as to how to proceed. That said, check your reloading techniques as well. It could just be you.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Also try your loads much closer and much farther away i.e 25 and 50 yards.

If the yaw gets much worse or sometime it will even clear up you know for sure its tumbling/yaw problem and not just that your bullet tears the paper different than you buddies bullets.

Also shot some of your loads out of your friends gun to see if they do the same thing etc

this is some simple ADVICE that may help

jcc7x7

Sarge ain't the English language great!