Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP barrel heat sink

DDustin

I'm ordering a JP barrel after the holidays and I was looking at also using their heat sink. My question is how does this affect accuracy? Wouldn't that negate getting a free float handguard? I know that some things like the gas block will always act on the barrel but it seems like having aluminum completely enshrouding a large portion of the barrel would have a pretty big effect.

Not getting the rifle just the barrel.

Did you notice a change in accuracy when you added yours? How much weight did it add? Also how effective is it cooling?

Since getting my current barrel fluted my cool down times are amazing but my accuracy suffered. I'm not going to take that risk with the JP barrel so that's why I'm interested in this. But whats the point of getting a $500 sub-MOA barrel if I'm just ganna screw with accuracy by bolting hunks of metal to it.

Edited by DDustin

Thermal dissapators do nothing to accuracy if they don't hit the handguard other than have some menial affect on barrel heating up. Ironically, the better shooter you become the less you need it. Personally I stay away from them it's added weight for little benefit

Bets

Thermal dissapators do nothing to accuracy if they don't hit the handguard other than have some menial affect on barrel heating up. Ironically, the better shooter you become the less you need it. Personally I stay away from them it's added weight for little benefit

Bets

Could you elaborate on that a little?

Bets

He's saying as you get better you miss less and in turn heat the barrel up less.

When your skill level increases you have fewer misses during a stage of fire. Less misses = fewer shots = less heat buildup. This applies to most 3 gun stages as they won't have a huge array of rifle targets. I cannot speak for rifle only matches, but I could see a benefit from one in a 1 gun match like that.

Kuan

Bets

He's saying as you get better you miss less and in turn heat the barrel up less.

When your skill level increases you have fewer misses during a stage of fire. Less misses = fewer shots = less heat buildup. This applies to most 3 gun stages as they won't have a huge array of rifle targets. I cannot speak for rifle only matches, but I could see a benefit from one in a 1 gun match like that.

Kuan

No I meant the parts about having minimal benefit for the added weight. JP's site says it's more effective than fluting, so I'm wondering about the actual effectiveness and how much weight it adds.

Also about the skill level that's not entirely true. A lot of stages have a good number of close up hoser targets before ending with long range targets. I would argue that as your skill level goes up, since your splits decrease and your time between targets decrease, you're going to be generating a lot more heat than a slower shooter. So by the time you get to the long range targets, your barrel should be hotter if you're better.

I noticed a large difference in the heat dissipated. Not sure if really needed in a match rifle but I could tell a real difference shooting prairie rats. Rifle shoots sub moa so no issue with accuracy. Weight is not really an issue. I am very happy with mine. Call JP and they can talk to you about it but in my opinion if you are going to shoot high volume it is worth it.

New shooters tend to have to shoot a lot more rounds than the pro's on the same stage heating up the barrel faster. My JP has the heat sink and I love it. Would love to rest a JP with it and one with out it side by side. Perhaps that can be a future you tube video.

pat

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll contact JP and ask what exactly it weighs and base my decision off of that. Before fluting my current barrel, when shooting the hoser heavy stages, my barrel would get hot enough to melt the astroturf stuff on some range tables.

I'd still appreciate more comments from anyone who has experience with these.

My JP has one. It looks cool. The rifle balances well. Some of the guys are impressed that I have a rifle with a radiator. I don't think much about it. Bottom line, I don't see or feel the need to mess with the rifle at this point. It shoots ragged holes and double taps 400 yard targets. I love my jp.

I've just never much seen the need I guess...I have a LW contour jp barrel and have shot a FEW stages with lots of hoser stuff before long range but it doesnt happen much. Also the point of better shooters shooting faster splits making the barrel heat faster is really a moot point. If I shoot the hoser portion in 10 seconds and you shoot it in 20, the thermal effect on the barrel will likely be little in that 10 seconds longer shooting provided the same number of rounds

JP also cyrogenically treats their barrels and because of this I have seen maybe a .5 MOA shift from cold to hot. There are few shooters who can see that performance from a six power scope in a 3 gun rifle positon???

I attend 6-8 major 3 gun matches a year and have yet to see a stage where I expended more than 60 rounds of rifle. I am sure there are stages where it happens, but few stages I have seen require more than 50 if shot perfectly. At a stage where 50 is the required and no par time, it is possible to shoot much more depending on skill level and how long you like to go to war on targets you are not hitting. I prefer to spend my money on ammo and practice so I dont have too.

Not trying to sound snotty and I have no dog in this fight. Its one of those things that if it makes you happy, do it. There are few things in life so cheap that will accomlish that.

Bets

I took mine off after convincing myself that it was unnecessary. I don't have a scale to weigh it on, but its maybe an ounce or two at most? Way lighter than a buffer, about like a couple of loaded rounds (pretty scientific).

When I talked to JP about it at the time of the build, they claimed it would also help with barrel life. I don't think I've ever come close to shooting out a 223 barrel, I have gun ADD and sell them way too quick to burn out a barrel.

If anyone wants to try one out, mine is available.

I read that about barrel life, which is one of the things that got me interested as well. I've shot out a couple barrels already, those rounds add up about as fast as their cost. This barrel will be the most expensive barrel I've purchased and it's my first SS so I want it to last as long as possible.

Does anyone know the approximate outer diameter? I should at least be sure it'll fit under my handguard, it's a bit tight in there.

The long thermal dissapator give ~700% increase of barrel surface area while only weighing ~6oz. This helps to give much more consistant results in accuracy through the thermal range and also helps to greatly increase barrel life. If you keep that barrel cooler it will last much longer. Another benifit is that your handguard will not get anywhere near as hot because the barrel is dumping heat right away and never gets to such a high level of heat that a glove would be needed.

If your shooting continuously long enough to need a heat sink to help cool your barrel to stop your point of impact from changing drastically you have bigger issues than a heat sink can fix.

When I bought a JP I ordered a heat sink cause the blue fins looked cool and damn did they. After seeing that none of the JP team shooters used one I kinda figured it wasn't something I needed. So in order to not look like a newb I took it off.