Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hay guys,

I just found a better way to tape up slug holes on paper targets. I was at my local UHAUL store renting a trailer and found out they sell 2" wide brown paper tape. That is better than trying to patch up holes with regular target tape.

• 4 weeks later...

Or we could just stop shooting slugs and buck in 3-gun.

+1

I have never understood the desire to do shoot slugs at a good three gun match. Especially mixing slugs and shot on a single stage just to try to complicate an already complicated game. It adds nothing meaningful.

• 3 weeks later...

I forget what match it was, but we had to engage a plate rack at about 40 yards with 00 buckshot. I would have switched my choke to a super full, but we had to shoot slugs on the same stage. Needless to say there were plenty of plates left standing by all competitors. Another vote for no slugs / buckshot.

I forget what match it was, but we had to engage a plate rack at about 40 yards with 00 buckshot. I would have switched my choke to a super full, but we had to shoot slugs on the same stage. Needless to say there were plenty of plates left standing by all competitors. Another vote for no slugs / buckshot.

A silly stage in one match shouldnt be the what slugs and buckshot are judged on. Voting no on silly stage design would be better ;)

Properly used they add a very interesting and challenging dimension to shotgunning/3gunning.

Flight Control is your friend...

Edited by New4John

I was at a local match last year where their were three paper targets at 45 - 50 yards and the stage description required two hits to the body or one to each head to get full credit for the target. The shooters who knew their guns could really pull ahead. The rest of us were left stuffing more slug shells in our guns to finish the stage. Now I know what my scatter gun does with what ammunition and with what choke at different ranges. I choose to get better and learn my gear not complain about the challenges that attracted me to the shooting sports in the first place. The shotgun is a challenge accept it and overcome or be left reloading on the clock wishing you spent more time on the practice range.

Or we could just stop shooting slugs and buck in 3-gun.

Slugs are a very real part of shotgun shooting in in the real world rather it be for hunting or for self defense or law enforcement use. I would hate to see the sport go away from slugs. It would neuter the skills needed for shotgun shooting in my opinion. If you don't want to shoot slugs go shoot Skeet or Trap and call it a day. But leave slugs in three gun. It adds to the fun and the challenge.

Pat

Super full would have resulted in poor patterns with buck. Buck does better with IC or no tighter than LM or you get deformed pellets and larger patterns. The game is supposed to be hard some times. If it is always easy its not fun.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Bunch of babies, the different twists make it fun... You want simple and easy shoot pistol only matches.

Amen!!!! It's the same for everyone, it's a true test of skill by making you adapt. This type off stuff is why I shoot 3-gun, not pistol matches

Edited by Mbauer67