Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Trojan Weight

ogiebb

Hello,

Im finally getting some projects off the ground and was thinking of getting some SS 9mm's built.

it will be almost the same config as a 9mm trojan w/ a dawson magwell and dawson mags (Flat Top w/ egw fire controls, etc...).

my question is does your 9mm STI trojan w/ the dawson magwell & dawson magazine make weight under uspsa and IDPA rules? the barrel on 9mm 1911's are def heavier than the 40sw and 45's. do i have to get an aluminum guide rod ,change to AL grips or worst case tri top the slide?..thanks

Edited by ogiebb

My old 9mm trojan with a dawson ice made weight with a aluminum guide rod and some heavy grinding on the back of the davidson G10 grips. My new one, I used the aluminum mainspring housing with the no gap ice and the same modified grips made weight with a 1/2 ounce to spare with the steel guide rod. I'll put the aluminum rod in at sanctioned matches to be safe. Weigh the mags also, I've noticed a huge difference between manufacturers. I had to put Chip McCormick mags in my CDP TRP to make weight there. I use Dawson 10 rounders in the 9mm. Hope that helps.

My STI Trojan in 45 w/Dawson magwell & STI mag w/Dawson extension made weight at SS Nationals this year. No further mods. Can't remember exact weight, but it was not an issue.

9's are much heavier than 45's due to the extra metal in the barrel.

My old 9mm trojan with a dawson ice made weight with a aluminum guide rod and some heavy grinding on the back of the davidson G10 grips. My new one, I used the aluminum mainspring housing with the no gap ice and the same modified grips made weight with a 1/2 ounce to spare with the steel guide rod. I'll put the aluminum rod in at sanctioned matches to be safe. Weigh the mags also, I've noticed a huge difference between manufacturers. I had to put Chip McCormick mags in my CDP TRP to make weight there. I use Dawson 10 rounders in the 9mm. Hope that helps.

Thanks !! thats the info i was looking for, ill check w/ dawson and see if they can exchange my 1911 magwell w/ an aluminum ms housing

My STI Trojan in 9mm, with Dawson no-gap ICE magwell (alum MSH), Dawson 10rd mag with no-gap base, and VZ grips, makes weight by .1 on my basic food scale. I have never had it weighed at a match or tested using a different scale. It is cutting it very close as scales do vary.

Edited by L3324temp

Thanks guys.. ive decided to just use a Dawson magwell w/ alum MSH and alum techwell grips ..will see if it makes weight

im not a big fan of GI guide rods so worst case is that i will use an Alum guide rod for USPSA.. and use a diff gun for IDPA

:cheers:

My STI Trojan in 9mm, with Dawson no-gap ICE magwell (alum MSH), Dawson 10rd mag with no-gap base, and VZ grips, makes weight by .1 on my basic food scale. I have never had it weighed at a match or tested using a different scale. It is cutting it very close as scales do vary.

You can gain another .5 ounce by grinding out the backs of the grips. I use a postal scale and when it was weighed at the IDPA state match, it was identical in weight.