Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Shell Plate Out of Alignment?

Hey gents. Just tinkering around with the used XL650 I just picked up and I seem to be having a problem with the shell plate being out of alignment. It seems to be slightly too far advanced when it hits the detent ball and, as a result, is periodically crushing primers, getting them sideways, etc. It is also occasionally crushing the edge to the case at the belling station. I am attaching a picture of the primer seating station that I think will illustrate the issue. I've checked the Dillon manual and can't seem to find any way to adjust this. Anyone have this issue before or know how to adjust this?

post-46160-0-48143000-1387055844_thumb.j

Sarge - will give that a try. Thanks for the info.

mfrits, before you try what Sarge suggests, and assuming you have the press properly cleaned, try this: BACKGROUND - I recently had the same problem and the way I corrected the situation was to loosen the set screw on the Mainshaft so that I could properly tension the shellplate. What I found is that if I loosened the tension the shellplate would pop into dead on positioning. This tension was quite a bit less than I usually ran. I then re-tightened the set screw and she indexed like a charm. Give it a try, nothing to lose.

glm

Sarge - will give that a try. Thanks for the info.

mfrits, before you try what Sarge suggests, and assuming you have the press properly cleaned, try this: BACKGROUND - I recently had the same problem and the way I corrected the situation was to loosen the set screw on the Mainshaft so that I could properly tension the shellplate. What I found is that if I loosened the tension the shellplate would pop into dead on positioning. This tension was quite a bit less than I usually ran. I then re-tightened the set screw and she indexed like a charm. Give it a try, nothing to lose.

glm

This is true typically. But it also causes the shell plate to snap. When I tighten mine down on the bearing kit there is a sweet spot that is so tiny it's very hard to find. Too tight and the plate is harder to get to align and too loose the plate snaps too much. I have also found that when I operate the handle very slow the plate tends to not line up but if I run the press at combat speed it lines up perfectly.

It takes some fiddling to get just right.

or call Dillon. They will send you an alignment tool for free...

This. But beware. Shipping is not free. I was charged $22.49. But I am glad to have it and Thank You Dillon.

Amazing. I have never heard of anyone being charged more than a few bucks for the tool delivered. And those are rare. Most everybody I know who has one got it for free simply by asking Dillon.

It can only be an alignment problem if YOU moved the carrier. Should be someone around that could load you an Alignment Tool should you need one.

Glynnm45 - I just picked this up used so I have no idea what the PO may have done to it. Looked like it had been collecting dust for awhile.

Gotcha. While you are waiting on your Alignment tool to arrive, try some of the suggestions as previously mentioned. Might be worth the effort just to box her up and get it on the way to Dillon. That way when she gets back, setup will be a breeze.

Good Luck!

I had a similar problem with the shell plate out of alignment relative to the primer punch. If this is the case, the alignment tool that drops into the powder measure is of little use. Dillon send a different tool that centers the primer punch as well as a new cam block of different design. This solved my issue.

Your alignment issue is probably going to be fixed by adjusting the indexer block #16776 (p 48 in manual). The two bolt holes are slotted. Pushing this block towards the rear of the bench advances the shellplate further clockwise, pull it towards the edge of your bench to retard advancement.

• 2 months later...

I called Dillon to order some spare parts. They sent everything for free including the alignment tool.

I ordered a variety of parts recently, when I expressed interest in obtaining the alignment tool, I was told no.

• 3 weeks later...

Your alignment issue is probably going to be fixed by adjusting the indexer block #16776 (p 48 in manual). The two bolt holes are slotted. Pushing this block towards the rear of the bench advances the shellplate further clockwise, pull it towards the edge of your bench to retard advancement.

The manual that I just downloaded from the Dillon site (v6.1) seems to have changed the page location and part number for the indexer block. It is now listed as #18 on page 50, PN 16671.

• 9 months later...

I'll have to try the alignment tool. I crush a lot of primers on my 650. The adjustment block is adjusted as far as it will go and I'm still a tiny bit off.

Kinda wish I had a Dillon tech for a neighbor.