Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Tac soon to be illegal?

Michael Brown

Today I heard from another competitor that the Comp-Tac locking paddle was going to be illegal in IDPA this year.

Has anyone else heard this before I ask for a clarification from HQ?

I know its currently rulebook legal, but frequently the rules get distributed via email and other rulings from HQ and I just want to know if this is just an unfounded rumor.

Michael Brown

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new rule book is not out yet. There are a lot of ramblings and rumblings about the new book out there, but nothing is in print or finalized.

Just have to wait and see.

FWIW, I've decided to wait purchasing a holster for my new N frame till the book comes out. YMMV there. That or use this as an excuse to buy that nice Kramer horsehide scabbard instead of the cheaper kydex holster I was looking at ;)

Ted

FWIW

I asked BW himself at the nationals about the new book. He only discussed the holster issue.

No more approved holster list. It will be criteria based.

1) If the holster cant can be adjusted while wearing the holster it won't be legal. Good news for Safariland 560/1 owners.

2) If the holster is canted muzzle forward, it won't be legal. (SO call I suppose)

3) If you can see daylight between the belt and the body of the holster, it won't be legal.

4) If you can see daylight between the belt and the body of the shooter, it won't be legal.

5) If the shooter stuffs a filler in the gaps of an offset, it won't be legal.

I specifically asked about women's offset holsters like those made by some currently approved makers. BW said they haven't finalized the women's offset issue yet. Probably because we know there will be guys that would try to use them.

One maker who was there selling his holsters has already made changes to his line to conform to the above criteria.

3) If you can see daylight between the belt and the body of the holster, it won't be legal.

So, virtually all kydex holsters are now outlawed by IDPA? :huh:

I can hardly wait to find out what else has been banned.

Guest Larry Cazes
So, virtually all kydex holsters are now outlawed by IDPA?

OUCH! Gotta love the simplicity and freedom afforded for equipment by USPSA.

So, virtually all kydex holsters are now outlawed by IDPA? :huh:

I can hardly wait to find out what else has been banned.

How do you figure?

None of the kydex I've owned have enough space between the belt and the holster that you could see through. Though I've seen many that were "stacked out" away from the body. In fact if you read my post there was a vendor at the nationals who's line would not make the grade after the change becomes official. BW mentioned him in the conversation and the vendor spoke with BW directly about the issue. 30 days later I saw the same vendor at another sanctioned state match and he had already made the appropriate changes to his holsters that would comply with the new holster requirements.

It's not like I was privy to any inside info. I know BW had this conversation with numerous people.

Mayo,

I could give a *&^% less about what a vendor has to do to make his holsters legal. My concern is buying new gear simply at the BOD's whim. The no light standard is crap. What is so hard about a much simpler rule.

1. Holster must cover trigger and provide adequate retention for safety

2. Holster cannot be worn with a forward cant.

3. Holster must cover up to 1/4" below chamber opening in slide.

4. Holster must be as close to the body as possible without interfering with a safe draw.

5. Holster and gun must be completely concealed by chosen cover garment.

This light no, light, cant, no cant, becomes impossible to interpret due to the changes in body types.

This light no, light, cant, no cant, becomes impossible to interpret due to the changes in body types.

Truer words never spoken. I could most likely get by with a "race" holster ;) but other guys I shoot with are going to have a problem. If this comes to pass we're going to be stuck with another subjective BS rule...........

Well geez Ted, they did come out of BW mouth didn't they.  That seems to be good enough for the rules regarding airgunning etc.  ;)

Yeah, but did Mark repeat exactly what he heard, and did they change their mind since then? You don't know. No sense making plans on a rule book until there is a rule book.

Ted

What about magazine carriers and concealment garments? Any rumors?

Mag carriers will have some form of retention flap , secured with a snap or velcro.

Vest that have a mesh fabric that permits viewing of the holstered weapon will not be permitted.

Also - vest that have more than 3 pockets total will not be permitted , unless they have a blaze orange safety panel located across the back of the shoulders.

just kidding :P

or not <_<

No sense making plans on a rule book until there is a rule book.

Not really.

If I had hundreds of thousands of dollars wrapped up in tooling for holsters and IDPA was discussing outlawing a portion or all of my product line without any type of public announcement whatsoever so that I could react to the changes in a timely fashion, or at least discuss reasonable options, I would have a serious problem with that.

I'm happy that IDPA wants to keep their sport "pure." Good for them. But at least make the proposed rule changes public. Give members and people in the industry a chance to succeed. It's not too much to ask.

" You guys crack me up. You're complaining about rules that are not even real for all you know. Why not wait for the book before complaining?"

Ted

The existing rule book is dated 5/01. I now have 4 of them. Soon after the 5/01 release of the current book many major issues were going to be addressed "In the New Rule Book". In fact the " New Rule Book" may be a placebo. We, the members, have been waiting for three and a half years. The sport is fun but it sure needs some official updating.

In the meantime the rules have changed - frequently by semi official utterings that then become official by SO implementation and interpretation. It may not be that way everywhere and at every match but it happens. As a result, a lot of people grasp at any reasonable or semi reasonable rumor that seems official enough to be real. I think its just a natural reaction from folks who want the sport to flourish and grow, to cuss and discuss. To bad we are usually only given rumors to talk about.

Regards,

:):):)

The Bladetech belt holster I have will show a gap even with my ample flesh between the holster and my hip right below the belt. It is, therefore, going to be illegal, as are many others.

Strange. I used a Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster and I don't have that problem.

I really don't have a problem with the "no light" rule. Some holsters, like the KyTac Sooper Hooper just as a for instance, are currently legal for IDPA but carry the gun so far away from the body there's no way it could make a good concealment holster. And I know: I tried wearing a Sooper Hooper as a concealment rig. It held the butt of the gun so far out I was constantly hooking it on car seats and twisting the holster on my body. And the rear sight on the gun, now being pressed hard against the coat lining, wore a hole in it within a few days. The sight was a Heinie SlantPro, hardly an exemplar of sharp edges. All IDPA HQ is saying here is that in the future every legal holster must be a hody hugging concealment type. Works for me.

I agree not to worry about it until it is in an official rule book. I don't think the gear I have will be a problem. And I sure won't put up with an SO that want's to make a deal of it if he can't show it to me in the rule book.

But if it does change and ban my current equipment, I am not going to go out and spend more on more gear just to satisfy some BS changes made. I'd rather just quit shooting IDPA.

Notice that past changes by IDPA usually screwed around with competitors and cost them money instead of fixing the inconsistant rules they had to start with? No 10mm in CDP and no 5" revolvers were two of the costlier ones.