Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC to 9 major ?

SMS2

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Considering purchase of a rather new low mileage 38SC, only problem is I shoot 9 major. Is it as simple as having a new

9 mm barrel fitted using same comp? Or would it require a new top end?

With that issue addressed. Assuming the work was done by a well regarded builder, with extractors, etc., modified to 9, should the newly configured 9 major shoot as well as if it were originally built as a 9?

Thanks,

Stephen

Think I'd first see if it would run 9mm with the present barrel. Look in search function, lots of info about that, quite a few people do it.

Sure, lots of people do it...but they're using the extractor to hold the round in place...not the case mouth..

For many reasons, don't do it. If you really want to go 9 Major, get a 9 barrel and have it fitted to the comp and slide.

OAL for a 38 SC is 1.230 (give or take) OAL for 9 major is 1.170 and the cases are different.

For many reasons, don't do it. If you really want to go 9 Major, get a 9 barrel and have it fitted to the comp and slide.

OAL for a 38 SC is 1.230 (give or take) OAL for 9 major is 1.170 and the cases are different.

THIS!!!

9 Major barrels are in high demand so you should start looking for one NOW. Have a 'smith that knows what he's doing fit the barrel, tune the extractor or upgrade to Aftec and possibly a new comp as 9 Major makes less gas then 38 SC. A shorter, lighter, more efficient comp made from titanium was what ended up on both my raceguns that were converted to 9 M.

BC

Took delivery this week of a relatively new 38 SC. Planned on having it fitted with a new 9 barrel but of course decided to shoot it first.

Took it to the range Wednesday and fired 250 rounds of 9 major along with about 100 rounds of 38 SC. After sighting the gun in I started with 38 SC and as expected the gun performed without issue. The 9s performed equally as well. I then took a couple of magazines and alternated rounds within the magazine between 9 and 38 SC. The gun noticed no difference between the two loads. It shot equally as flat and accurate with approximately the same amount of felt recoil with the 9 as it did the 38. The gun performed flawlessly with both loads. Did not have a single misfeed, failure to eject, not a single anomaly with any round of 9 major.

I was so impressed with the way the gun performed with the 9 major that I shot it the following night at a match. Again the gun performed brilliantly in every respect, No different than my other 9 open that was designed and built from the beginning as a 9 major.

Before purchasing I spoke to several prominent gun builders who explained to me I had a better chance that the 38 SC, rather then 38 super, would handle nine major due to the Aftec extractor being tuned the same for both rounds.

While I understand my experience with the 38SC cannot be considered a universal maxim that all 38SC will perform the same with 9 major as did mine, I did want to share my experience and hope that it might shed some light on this issue as others were having the same questions I did.

Edited by SMS2

I have a 38SC and wanted to shoot 9mm. I had a 9mm top end built and fitted to the 38SC slide. As time went on, I used the 38SC lower for the 9mm and had a new lower built for the 38SC upper. I shoot 38SC where the brass can be retrieved, otherwise, I shoot 9mm on lost brass matches. I now have two complete Open guns, 9mm & 38SC. Usually use one or the other as a backup gun in case something goes wrong at a match & I have to change out guns. In the long run it is better to have 2 Open guns than 1-1/2. The comps are quite different for each caliber.

I have a 38SC and wanted to shoot 9mm. I had a 9mm top end built and fitted to the 38SC slide. As time went on, I used the 38SC lower for the 9mm and had a new lower built for the 38SC upper. I shoot 38SC where the brass can be retrieved, otherwise, I shoot 9mm on lost brass matches. I now have two complete Open guns, 9mm & 38SC. Usually use one or the other as a backup gun in case something goes wrong at a match & I have to change out guns. In the long run it is better to have 2 Open guns than 1-1/2. The comps are quite different for each caliber.

What are your thoughts on the 2 guns in terms of why they shoot and your preferences?

Hello: Get a new comp and barrel setup for your slide. That way you can shoot 9mm and 38SC. After you don't shoot the 38sc since the 9mm works so well, sell it. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I bought it with that exact intention. However I was very surprised at how well the 11 port comp works with the 9. I thought it would expel the gasses far to quickly as to not allow peak performance. At this point I am considering using the same comp for a newly fitted 9 barrel or just getting another identical comp for a new 9. The latter giving me 2 complete set ups to shoot 9 or 38SC. Since I do practice indoors I can use the 38SC and recover 99% of the spent casings.

I bought a used Limcat in 38SC and shot it in. 6 matches while I waited my turn at Johny's shop. He fit a 9MM barrel, comp, and extractor to my slide. The 9 comp has one less chamber on the end and doesn't use the side "wing" popple holes like the 38SC. Both were tack drivers but I actually like the dot tracking better with the 9!

I bought a used Limcat in 38SC and shot it in. 6 matches while I waited my turn at Johny's shop. He fit a 9MM barrel, comp, and extractor to my slide. The 9 comp has one less chamber on the end and doesn't use the side "wing" popple holes like the 38SC. Both were tack drivers but I actually like the dot tracking better with the 9!

When you shot it in the 6 matches while waiting were you shooting 38SC or 9? If 9 how did it perform?

Not at all surprised you chose a new comp with fewer ports for the 9 retro fit. I was certain I would do the same, and still may, for the new 9 barrel. That was my first inclination as well as the advice I received from several well known custom builders I spoke to. However, since shooting it has performed so well with the existing comp that is on the 38SC I just might use an identical one on the 9.

Canuk

The 38SC is more accurate with the 115gr MG CMJ and with the extra weight of the EGW stainless 7 port comp (3 top and two on each side) less muzzle rise. I shoot 124gr MG CMJ in the 9mm, less muzzle flip & more straight back recoil, comp is two ports. My guns are a little heavy and I use an Aimpoint 7MOA SMC (discontinued) on the 38SC and a Tasco PDP5 4 dot size scope (discontinued) with a 45mm objective lens on the 9mm. Never loose the dot on either scope. In my case and my age a little slower transition is made up with the dot always being where it needs to be. Over the years I have been able to pick up spare scopes for each that I use. Always good to have an extra scope for each gun. Also use the Tasco PDP5 on my M&P 15-22 & S&W Mod 41 for steel competitions. I'm sure most people would not agree with scope choices, but they work for me. As far as preference I like the 38SC better, but with the cost of 38SC brass and the lack of availability (used or new) I shoot the 9mm more because of loss brass. Back in the old days there was no problem getting once fired 38SC brass since just about everyone shot 38SC. Today it's another story. One good thing about 38SC is the myriad loads and being able to load it 10+ times. If I could afford to lose 38SC brass (which I can't) that is all I would shoot. So basically, 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot (brass costs). If I had to do it all over I'd still have a 38SC & 9mm Open guns.

Edited by 40S&W

When you shot it in the 6 matches while waiting were you shooting 38SC or 9? If 9 how did it perform?

Not at all surprised you chose a new comp with fewer ports for the 9 retro fit. I was certain I would do the same, and still may, for the new 9 barrel. That was my first inclination as well as the advice I received from several well known custom builders I spoke to. However, since shooting it has performed so well with the existing comp that is on the 38SC I just might use an identical one on the 9.

I didn't try shooting 9MM through the 38SC barrel. I bought enough SC brass to try it while I waited for the conversion to 9. As far as the comp- I didn't pick how I wanted it I just trusted Johny. He sent me load data for both calibers and I am happier with the 9.