Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai's new comp design

Redstag

Installed there new style comp on my shorty open gun, for me it tracks better for the second shot than the shoto style. The comp does not come with top ports, its up to the shooter to determine if more gas needs to be bled

off. I think typically in 38 SC you mill a slot and in 9 major if needed a couple holes, I added two 3/16 in my case.

post-50527-0-87064200-1386602048_thumb.j

post-50527-0-29657300-1386602065_thumb.j

Interesting.

I have the Shoto Comp on my gun, with two 3/16" holes in the barrel. It does not track as well as my other gun, which uses a Brazos comp and the same two barrel holes. The new comp is kinda a wild design.

Edited by jid2

Interesting.

I have the Shoto Comp on my gun, with two 3/16" holes in the barrel. It does not track as well as my other gun, which uses a Brazos comp and the same two barrel holes. The new comp is kinda a wild design.

It is cool looking, have to give it that. Just to clarify my gun is a 9 and the barrel has 2 .125 holes and in the comp I put 2 3/16 holes. I think for 9mm you do .125 barrel holes and in 38 SC 3/16.

Watch your video. Don't look at the gun focus on the shooters hands. They are moving quite a bit while the gun is firing. I would guess the shooter has his elbows bent an is allowing the gun to push back into them. When the elbows get hit by the recoil impulse they bend moving the gun in a circular motion. Like the wheels on an old locomotive. This movement exaggerates movement at the muzzle. Keeping the elbows parallel to the ground and rotating the wrist forward like Blake talks about in the above video allow the gun to track flatter.

Watch your video. Don't look at the gun focus on the shooters hands. They are moving quite a bit while the gun is firing. I would guess the shooter has his elbows bent an is allowing the gun to push back into them. When the elbows get hit by the recoil impulse they bend moving the gun in a circular motion. Like the wheels on an old locomotive. This movement exaggerates movement at the muzzle. Keeping the elbows parallel to the ground and rotating the wrist forward like Blake talks about in the above video allow the gun to track flatter.

I too appreciate these comments.

cheers,

J.

Hello: If the comp is built right it would not need any holes in the barrel. Thanks, Eric

I would add that it depends on the load. Sometimes there just isn't enough pressure to use at the end of the barrel, regardless of comp design.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted the new barrel with the new style comp and decided I missed the noise and felt as though it was more "snappy". I added back the 2 .125 poppel holes and it definitely felt better. Not satisfied that the new style comp was better then the shoto style but not wanting to spend another $175 I programmed a Haas to make one. Making a exact duplicate I will test again soon, and since I went this far I changed the design a little and made a second comp with slots and smaller ports thinking it may be better suited for 9 major? Here are a couple pics, hopefully I can try shooting this weekend.

post-50527-0-18907700-1389321090_thumb.j

post-50527-0-53688400-1389321130_thumb.j