Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Collector, hoarder or a little of both?

I think we're all a little guilty of "collecting" reloading stuff from time to time. But it would be interesting to hear what your bench and storage is or wants to become. I think there are those that almost want to own their own reloading store to just a guy who's happy to have a single stage press putting out 100-200 9mm.

Are you the guy who has to have every tool in the blue (or green too) catalog? Every powder and every die set ever made, or anything in between? In a couple cases, I'm guilty of buying the dies before I own the firearm.

So, let's here your story....

Dog

I have 4 1050s and load only one caliber (9mm). Just starting to load 223, though. Had to get a Super from Brian because the Redding comp seating die wouldn't fit on the RLs. Quick change tool heads for .40 and 38SC are just collecting dust.

I ordered a wet tumbler tonight.

I totally don't need a wet tumbler.

Now there's a purchase I could justify under any circumstances to me or, uh, my wife. "Ain't that bowl with that ground up stuff up enof". Well, no, it doesn't clean up the primer pockets up like a tumbler does, this is needed for additional polishing". You do need that wet tumbler. Congrats on a smart purchase. Just make sure those steel pins are not stuck in the flash holes when you get them all finished and purrty.

Dog

I have 4 1050s and load only one caliber (9mm). Just starting to load 223, though. Had to get a Super from Brian because the Redding comp seating die wouldn't fit on the RLs. Quick change tool heads for .40 and 38SC are just collecting dust.

Here's when you begin to reach a turning point. Do I collect or enjoy owning extra stuff that I may use one day (or never), or do I sell it to the next guy for some money I could put towards something else? Oh, did you hang on to those sets of a Redding comp dies too?

Dog

I just got a 650 set up so now I have a lee single stage, rockchucker and a lol n load AP as back up. I also have 2 or 3 sets of dies for several calibers that I load for and a few that I don't and never will. Oh and I have 3 12ga and 2 20ga mecs and maybe a 410 I am not sure. I inherited a lot of stuff from older hunting buddy's that have passed on and I can bring myself to let it go.

On top of that I have 10-12 large bags of 12ga hulls and buckets of brass. Not to mention the 2k LBS of lead stored under my house for casting and the buckets if brass.

You can ship an extra 1050 to me! I only have a Square Deal on my bench... For 40 AND 9mm... It will free up bench space for you!

JW

Definitely a hoarder. I've got the Mac Daddy 550 set up. 550B with the strong mount, roller handle, and bullet tray. I have so far only ever loaded .40 but in the closet I have five brand-new powder measures, five tool heads, and five powder dies. This is on top of the .40 set up that lives on my press. I also have dies in 9mm, .380, .45, .38, .308, and assorted rifle dies I'll never use. I'm also hoarding about 400 pounds of polished brass in assorted calibers that I'll probably never load. This includes the 150 lbs of .40 brass that I keep on hand. I'm out of bullets.

Well, I am not a hoarder of loading equipment, I definitely use just about everything I have and since I run a small ammo manufacturing company it's a lot.

However,

I cannot resist hording pyrotechnic tooling, supplies and chemicals. I have all sorts of rocket tooling to make up to 10 pounders, solid maple case rollers to make up to 8" shells, sifting screens from 10 to 100 mesh size, all sorts of rammers up to 2" to make fountains and such. I can't pass up good solid tubes, plugs, cardboard disks or endcaps of any type. Exotic chemicals I am likely never going to use like lampblack and nitrocellulose laquer.... but ya never know so I buy it just in case..

Just about every oxidizer and fuel know to man including aluminum, steel and titanium in assorted mesh sizes or stamped flakes.

It's a bad addiction...really bad.

1050 (9mm), 650 (6 heads, 30-06, 308, 45 ACP, 40, 223, can remember the other), (3) Star progressive reloaders, one set up for large caliber pistol (45LC, 45 ACP, 44, 41) one for 38/357 and one in 38 super & .380, Rock Chucker with dies from 218 bee to 458 tons in between, Lee Single stage press, Lee Turret, Lee Pro 1000, Mec 76 Series Grabber Hydurlic 12GA, Mec 9000H 12GA, Mec 9000 in 20GA, Mec 600 28GA & 410GA, Lee Load All 12GA & 20GA. There may be more, not going to search now. Various case trimming and primer swaging tools, hand primers, (2) Vibra Prime automatic primer tube filler in Large and small , 2 tumbers.

Sold the Camdex that was in 38, that was nice machine 3800 rounds an hour. I grew up on a shooting range, Dad left me all this. Miss him dearly.

Good thread. I think the vast majority of us have stuff we don't NEED. I have only averaged shooting about 7k rounds a year for the last 3-4 years. And I only reload 9mm, 95% of which is MAJOR. Basically I never change anything on the press. I load on a 650 with case and bullet feeders and on a good day could load everything I will shoot all year. :roflol: So I pace myself and just go to the reloading room when I get bored and crank out 500 rounds or so. Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. The truth is I could literally load what I NEED on a Rockchucker.

As for components, I have enough powder and primers to shoot at my current pace for 5+ years. Bullets for about 2 years. I guess that's technically hoarding but I only do it because I know what it's probably going to cost me to replace it all in 5 years, or 10. If I had the money and a safe place to keep it I would buy enough components to last me 15 years. By then I would be getting old and would probably be slowing way down.

I never hoard, but I do collect!

I have about 60 sets of redding dies, many in calibers I don't own, but *might* need some day. I have two dillon presses, two reddings, and a Hornady shotgun progressive. I would never want to adjust dies in the progressives, so I have a rack of preset tool heads. Add that to two big tubs of brass (much of it in calibers where I don't have a firearm) and xx,xxx primers, xx pounds of powder, and x,xxx projectiles "in stock".

Definitely a collector, not a hoarder. The primers, powder and bullets get rotated regularly.

Don't ask how rounds many I've loaded and not shot yet, though!

Edited by rodell

I have asked the question, but really never admitted or discussed my obsession. First of all, before I buy anything I read, then I read some more and ask a lot of questions. I then deduce the info and do what I think will be right for me. And I ask the question, "will I really do it one day ?" If I say yes, I buy it, but may not set it up for a month or longer, but there is this sense of security knowing I have one. For example, I've been a Dillon progressive fanboy for nearly 2 decades. Then one day I started digging into the dangerously tempting Sinclair catalog. So rifle became interesting. Hey, I shoot rifles too, so why not reload cartridges for them too? Then I went crazy, bought all the tools, trimmers, reamers, champher/debur tools, Wilson products (I love) flash hole deburrer, primer pocket reamers well you know the drill. Redding became my best friend and fortunately it is a good friend because I like quality products. I don't buy calibers I don't shoot, but a I have a nice representation of most pistol competition dies from Redding as well as Dillon dies and common rifle like .223 and 22-250. I was very tempted to buy a set of Weatherby .300 because I inherited a gem Mark V from the 1960's. But I don't hunt, we just shoot target, but I'll take it out to the range just to say I shot it and made the ammo. But I'll still get a set of dies, just because. And then their is the tools, the workbenches, cleaning supplies, cases, mags, and you name it. I went out and ordered one of John's American Work benches, look him up by googling American Work Benches. This man makes the most beautiful benches for reloading you will ever see, and it takes an elephant to move it. I've got my 650, T-7, primer tubes, all 3 powder measures, and the SL900 in 12g and 20g, all there with shelves and acro bins lined up. I am so sick, I use a brother p-touch to label my bins. As far as components are concerned, well, let's say I'm fine there. I finally broke down and got set up with the Lortone tumbler and steel pins. That was a nice investment and recommend that highly. Summary, I stick with quality goods, no junk, but I love it all. There's nothing like receiving a fresh set of competition dies from Redding covered with cosmoline. Life is good. Just buy quality products, I'd rather have one great products than 3 crappy one.

Dog

Check out John's work - heirloom quality. I carefully used a drill fixture to hold a 90 degree hole and sharp wood bit. Patience is required to do this correctly. Measuring so the handles clear on the downstroke, your bolts will clear drawers, acro bins clear the sides, proper working space are all factors to think through before ever getting a drill near this workbench or should I say fine furniture:

http://www.americanworkbench.com/files/newmapleconstsingle.jpg

John's not the least expensive, but if you don't have the time to build it, or don't know how, it's a bargain and will outlast any of us! By the way, I don't work for John, he deserves the kudos, I love his work. :cheers:

Dog

Check out John's work - heirloom quality. I carefully used a drill fixture to hold a 90 degree hole and sharp wood bit. Patience is required to do this correctly. Measuring so the handles clear on the downstroke, your bolts will clear drawers, acro bins clear the sides, proper working space are all factors to think through before ever getting a drill near this workbench or should I say fine furniture:

John's not the least expensive, but if you don't have the time to build it, or don't know how, it's a bargain and will outlast any of us! By the way, I don't work for John, he deserves the kudos, I love his work. :cheers:

Dog

WOW......That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing that link.

Here's when you begin to reach a turning point. Do I collect or enjoy owning extra stuff that I may use one day (or never), or do I sell it to the next guy for some money I could put towards something else? Oh, did you hang on to those sets of a Redding comp dies too?

Dog

The redding dies are still in the toolheads. You never know when you might need them again. Not sure if I'll sell one as I'm using one RL for 9mm, one RL for processing 223 brass, one Super for loading 223 and one spare Super. I have the caliber change down to about 10 minutes so its not too much of a hassle...

Dog

I couldn't load on that. Its too nice. I'd eat off of it, though...

This is one of those hobbies that if you're not into it, no one knows or appreciates what you're doing. It's not like looking at a beautiful classic car. So we all like this stuff I presume. Right now I consider my shop a mess, so please forgive me…here goes:

7ce0d331-e218-4314-ba62-3d71cca50659_zps

Some would call me a hoarder, I think of myself as an investor. I buy components whenever they are available or on sale, preferably on sale. I only buy what I will use. I know that in a few more years I will not be able to keep up and when that day comes, I will sell what I have at the going rate and enjoy my retirement.

At the state match every year I go after the .45 and 9mm because this what my daughter and I use. All the .40 and 38 stupid I give away to guys at the range who use this.

Good thread. I think the vast majority of us have stuff we don't NEED. I have only averaged shooting about 7k rounds a year for the last 3-4 years. And I only reload 9mm, 95% of which is MAJOR. Basically I never change anything on the press. I load on a 650 with case and bullet feeders and on a good day could load everything I will shoot all year. :roflol: So I pace myself and just go to the reloading room when I get bored and crank out 500 rounds or so. Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. The truth is I could literally load what I NEED on a Rockchucker.

As for components, I have enough powder and primers to shoot at my current pace for 5+ years. Bullets for about 2 years. I guess that's technically hoarding but I only do it because I know what it's probably going to cost me to replace it all in 5 years, or 10. If I had the money and a safe place to keep it I would buy enough components to last me 15 years. By then I would be getting old and would probably be slowing way down.

technically hoarding!? :roflol:

.... Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. .....

If you want a faster way to case-gauge ammo, have you seen this?

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/100-Hole-9mm-Chamber-Checker-Cartridge-Case-Gauge-p/cg9-100.htm

Yes, there is a 100-case Chamber Checker from EGW. But the one from Ben Stoeger fits cartridge boxes....so cartridge handling is cut dramatically.

This is fairly close to World Peace, in my admittedly limited view.

Chris

Edited by cohland