Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm's for Para framed Open guns

JFlowers

With STI listing the 170mm STI for Para magazines as "No longer produced" what are Para-framed Open Guns to do for big sticks, other than whats on the market. Does anyone make a basepad that makes a standard Para magazine into 170mm?

Perhaps STI thinks it's a good idea if us Para shooters bail and get an STI frame...

(Actually I don't really think that, I just had to use that pun ;) )

Grams pads will get you up to 140mm. Don't know of any "deep" pads. There has been discussion here about welded tubes in the past but I seem to recall that the reviews were not favorable. You may want to search the forums on that subject.

Later,

Chuck

JFlowers,

You can use a standard STI/SV mag in a Para if you weld up the mag catch, and machine the catch to hold the mag higher in the frame. Or you can weld up the mag catch hole in the mag tube, and machine the hole lower then normal.

I had my local gunsmith make 2 170's. All it took was a 10 rd body and a high cap body. They are welded together at the right place and reinforced with the appropriate size rod in the mag indentations. They work great. I'd post pictures but haven't mastered that task here yet.

The para 170 will have slightly more capacity than the S_I magazines.

I had my local gunsmith make 2 170's. All it took was a 10 rd body and a high cap body. They are welded together at the right place and reinforced with the appropriate size rod in the mag indentations. They work great. I'd post pictures but haven't mastered that task here yet.

The para 170 will have slightly more capacity than the S_I magazines.

cool

that is what we used to do with the Caspian mags..

you used to be able to by a couple old rusted out tubes from Caspian take the top off one, the bottom off the other and weld them...

how many rounds you getting your 170mm???

Mine hold 28 rds of .38 super easy with a stock Para follower and Para floorplate (the inside plastic thingy). I've never really tried to go to the max, but should be 1 or 2 more in there with a Grams follower and no floorplate - maybe more if I changed to super comp.

• 3 weeks later...

You can use SVI 170 mm in the para sometimes you may have to have

someone tig weld the mag catch to hold the mag up a little higher.

Or if you dont want to weld up the mag catch you can have a small bead

put on the top edge of the magazine catch slot and work it in to fit the gun.

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom Pistols