Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 9 Mags hard to load

Sarge

My 19 round XDM9 mags are very hard to load to capacity. It's not that the springs are tight. (even though they really are tight with 19 rounds). The mags will stop taking rounds period. I'll unload, reload, unload and finally can force them down to take more. This is accompanied by a loud snap or pop like the follower and or springs are binding up something wicked. And this is not near the end. It's at around the 11 round mark typically.

So, is this what you all have found to be normal as well? I know I will probably never load them to capacity and only found the problem when I was trying to break the mags in since they were a little tight even with 10 rounds.

I'm loading 124 MG CMJ's to 1.13. Certainly they are not too long for the XD mags?

Thoughts?

Mine are/were like that too.. even had to resort to using that little gizmo they supplied

using mine for 3 gun, with the Canyon Creek basepad/spring kit, they load easier to 24 than factory would load to about 17

does the slide still lock back?

Mine are/were like that too.. even had to resort to using that little gizmo they supplied

using mine for 3 gun, with the Canyon Creek basepad/spring kit, they load easier to 24 than factory would load to about 17

if you left the stock follower in how many rounds could you get with the basepad and spring?

I had a mag do the same.

Check spring, my issue was the spring would cock to one side

And jam.

Mags that had springs stay straight in mag would have no issues.

147s stretched to 1.115.

Thanks for shipping brass to Buster btw.

D

Edited by SD1

I unloaded and reloaded several times tonight and am actually seeing come markings on the tips of my bullets as well. I am only at 1.13 with round nose MG's. Could even that short be too long?

You are welcome SD

I´ve had the same problem with new mags, even with15 rounds... With new mags i loaded 15 rounds and left it for a day, next day I` ve added one more and leave it... 3 days and now are perfect even after 2 years...

It's been a while since I had mine, but I don't remember it being too hard to load the magazines except for when they were new. The think I do remember is the slide being very hard to pull back.

XD mags are harder to load than a lot of other brands, especially when new. A takes a good while to break them in. They are also hard to release from the gun when loaded to capacity, especially when new. Takes a good while to break them in. On the up side, they are made of high quality material. I have some that are 6 or 7 years old and still running strong after tens of thousands of rounds through them, being dropped on concrete, dropped kicked, stepped on, and all kinds of abuse over the years.

I use the lula loader also. For me it's a necessity. I found it helpful to use the loader with the base of the mag braced on a flat surface (bench or table). And as I squeeze and press down the loader in one hand I push down hard on the top of the loader with the other, for about the last couple rounds. At first I was concerned I'd break the loader or mag but after 2 years doing this there's no sign of problems.

I had the same issue with mine when new (5.25 xdm 9 also). I just kept rounds in all of the magazines while stored, and they loosened up in a few months time. Now I can load to 19 by hand just fine. I recently switched to the arredondo extensions and springs, and I have no problem getting to 22 by hand (I kept stock followers).

Never had the problem with sticking while loading. But I always slap the magazine's back every few rounds.

My .40m S&W XDm mags do that sometimes. I just whack it on the table or mash it with the Lula or something. I think it is the spring binding. This si a different issue than new mags being hard to get the last few in or not being able to get a fully loaded mag out without pushing up on the mag. New XDm mags are just dang stiff, but will loosen up.