Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 questions

Travtastik

I picked up a 625JM to start using for some local matches and I am left with a few questions.

#1 is there a advantage to running small or large primer brass? A local shop guy told me that I need to run SP brass as much as possible. I do plan to reload so if I need to get some SP brass I can start looking.

#2 I need a suggestion on equipment for IDPA. I plan to shoot IDPA for the most part and may venture into some other matches once I get a idea of what I am doing with this thing.

#3 is there any have to do mods that I need to preform out of the box or parts you would suggest a new revo shooter to have on hand?

Trying to get everything I need on my Christmas list so I can use it in January not have to be out of pocket for a lot (more) money

I have shoot revolvers most of my life but I have never tried to compete with one and I am excited to get started. My dad has never owned anything but wheel guns so I am sure this will get him interested in getting out and trying something new also. Thanks for the help.

I use the small primer 45 brass, only because I do not want to change over from small ( for the 38's) to large (for the 45) As sflr says " Large primer picked of the range is free and will suit you well"

Congrats on the 625 purchase. I just bought mine last month and really like it. I'll take a stab at some of your questions:

Large vs small primers - it's easier to pick one size and stick with it. I have more large than small primer .45 brass so I load with large primers and my brass guy swaps me for any small primer brass that I may find.

I don't shoot IDPA but check out this youtube video. In it Jerry shows you what he uses:

As far as mods go - I would consider a fiber optic front sight. ToolGuy here on the forum makes them for the 625 and they come highly recommended. You can read more about that sight here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115209&p=1306887

Other than replacing the sight I wouldn't do any other mods until you've shot it alot. After getting lots of trigger time on it you'll know what you'll want to change. I know I'll have a trigger job done on mine eventually but for now I'm concentrating on improving me over improving the gun :).

Thanks for the help. I put no faith in the sales guy I got it from but I did want to ask. I will have to check out the video and see what it had to offer. I would love to take up something other then IDPA with it but its the only thing close to where I am. Anything else is about a 2 hour ride one way.

Welcome to the world of revolvers!

Couple recommendations,

Get a lot of moonclips. Ranch Products sells 'em cheap. I have a couple hundred. I always load up enough moonclips before hand so I don't have to mess with them at the match http://www.ranchproducts.com/

Get a moonclip tool. I use the simple "pipe with a handle" type. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/moon-clip-stripper-prod6727.aspx

I really like a fiber optic front sight, but it's all personal choice. I use a Blade-Tech holster. All my 45acp brass has large primers

Edited by RussB

That's a good video, it pretty much covers the equipment. I noticed that Mr. Miculek is using what looks like Hogue grips and not his signature wood grips. I like his wood grips but only after I modify them to fit my hand and add skate board tape. The Hogue grips are a lot more forgiving to shoot. I would get a trigger job done right from the start, it makes a big difference and a front fiber optic from Protocol Design.

OK - that takes care of the first 3 questions, what are the other 622? :)

I'll help with some questions I have:

#4 - Chamfering cylinders - does it really make a difference when reloading?

#5 - Will the trigger from the Performance Center 625 drop into the JM 625?

#6 - Will the hammer from the Performance Center 625 drop into the JM 625?

#8 - Assuming one could find one would there be any benefit in replacing the 4" barrel with a 5"? I know 5" wouldn't be IDPA legal though but would be for USPSA and ICORE.

#9 - Until one gets a proper trigger job done would it be worth while to install a Wilson Combat reduced spring kit?

#10 - Regarding trigger jobs should one send it back to S&W to have the Performance Center do it or find a gunsmith to do it?

Only 615 to go :)

OK - that takes care of the first 3 questions, what are the other 622? :)

I'll help with some questions I have:

#4 - Chamfering cylinders - does it really make a difference when reloading? Absoultely, i'd mark this down as *must have * if doing reloads on the clock

#5 - Will the trigger from the Performance Center 625 drop into the JM 625? It should, though may require some fitting - the PC internals really dont count as a " trigger job " though

#6 - Will the hammer from the Performance Center 625 drop into the JM 625? see above

#8 - Assuming one could find one would there be any benefit in replacing the 4" barrel with a 5"? I know 5" wouldn't be IDPA legal though but would be for USPSA and ICORE. - Up to you, alot of shooters prefer the longer sight radius , so that's why they are more desirable.

#9 - Until one gets a proper trigger job done would it be worth while to install a Wilson Combat reduced spring kit? Yes, though i'd stick with the Bang Inc spring kit, or the wolff reduced power.

#10 - Regarding trigger jobs should one send it back to S&W to have the Performance Center do it or find a gunsmith to do it? No, find a gunsmith who knows revolvers.

Only 615 to go :)

Edited by alecmc

Regarding #5/#6 I understand swapping PC parts isn't the same as having a trigger job done but one of the things I liked about the PC trigger is that it has the trigger stop installed and is smooth (although I shot steel challenge with the stock trigger and it wasn't bad feeling even after 125 rounds). I had originally thought the hammers on the PC and JM were different but after double checking just now I think only difference is finish.

Regarding #10 - Any recommendations? I know Carmoney has done them but I thought I read he's no longer doing them?

If you find a five inch barrel you can get every thing you need done at Clark Cusom. They installed my 6" barrel on my 646 project.

If you want the P C trigger buy it and have them install while doing an action job. I would suggest the "Black Magik"spring kit from Vic Pickett (found at icore.org) but that is my personal choice. Then l would use Jerrys Bang kit. Both work great and very few people can feel the difference in them. ESPECIALLY in the USPSA/IPSC type games. PPC now that is a horse of a different color.

Just my .02 cents worth. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .But what do l know?

Hopalong

Regarding #10 - Any recommendations? I know Carmoney has done them but I thought I read he's no longer doing them?

Correct--I quit working on revolvers in mid-2011.

I recommend Apex in CA, Frank Glenn in AZ, and Clark's in LA.

I am informed that Tom Kilhoffer at TK Custom in IL has resumed working on revolver actions also.