Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mount for AR

basman

I started with an ADM mount and didn't like the height; seemed like it was a 1/3 co-witness, and I never felt comfortable with it. I recently switched to a Warne RAMP when I got a good deal on it. Haven't had a chance to use it much, but I really like the height, which is more like an absolute co-witness height. The only downside I've found so far with the RAMP is that it's a bit heavy. I would probably advise the SKEL mount (a lightened version of the RAMP) for weight reasons only, but I do like the fact that the RAMP offsets are still an option if I ever decide to go that route.

I started with an ADM mount and didn't like the height; seemed like it was a 1/3 co-witness, and I never felt comfortable with it. I recently switched to a Warne RAMP when I got a good deal on it. Haven't had a chance to use it much, but I really like the height, which is more like an absolute co-witness height. The only downside I've found so far with the RAMP is that it's a bit heavy. I would probably advise the SKEL mount (a lightened version of the RAMP) for weight reasons only, but I do like the fact that the RAMP offsets are still an option if I ever decide to go that route.

The off sets on the RAMP are unusable with many scopes. The won't work with the Vortex 1-6 or the Swarovski. There is not enough room to clear a red dot and the rear of the scope. The Skel mount is great love mine. I use a Firebird 60 degree off set mount for my red dot.

Pat

The off sets on the RAMP are unusable with many scopes. The won't work with the Vortex 1-6 or the Swarovski. There is not enough room to clear a red dot and the rear of the scope. The Skel mount is great love mine. I use a Firebird 60 degree off set mount for my red dot.

Pat

This doesn't surprise me. My original intention was to get a SKEL but got a deal on a used RAMP that I couldn't pass up. I've seen them used with MRD's like the old j-points or STS's, but since I don't own one (or feel an immediate need to get one), I can't test it out. Having said that, if I were to use a red-dot, I'd choose to mount it farther forward than the RAMP allows anyway. In fact, if I were using a monolithic upper, mounting the ramp backwards would probably be the ticket.

Just looked at my RAMP, and I'm thinking about it vs. the SKEL. I like how the RAMP has the long locking foot (or whatever you call that) for extra stability, whereas the SKEL is obviously lighter. Got me thinking... maybe I'll machine off the 45 degree bridge since I'm not using it anyway. Best of both worlds, maybe?

I just switched to a Warne SKEL on my match rifle, and I like it a lot. Every other AR still wears a JP mount at this point.

Any reason other than a slight weight reduction, about 0.7-0.8 oz compared to the non-extended JP from what I can tell?

Anyone have thoughts on this aero mount, Eye relief looks horrible but a revision is in the works to add another 1"?

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ultralight-30mm-scope-mount

Any reason other than a slight weight reduction, about 0.7-0.8 oz compared to the non-extended JP from what I can tell?

Anyone have thoughts on this aero mount, Eye relief looks horrible but a revision is in the works to add another 1"?

Honest answer...because I like Warne and they are a good company with good people who support the sport and matches. I tried the SKEL and I found it to be very high quality as well. If their mount was just a copy of some other companies, I would not have bothered.

Honest answer...because I like Warne and they are a good company with good people who support the sport and matches. I tried the SKEL and I found it to be very high quality as well. If their mount was just a copy of some other companies, I would not have bothered.

What he said!

Additionally--and I've never used the JP or know its specs so take this with a grain of salt specific to your question--but for me Warne is the only company I've found that's gotten the ring height correct for AR's. Overall, I've gotten to the point that, for any gun whether it be AR, bolt-action, etc., I check the Warne catalog first and compare everybody else to them. 90% of the time, Warne wins both in design and price-- and quality!

YMMV.

Mark,

Any idea what the weight of the SKEL mount is? Height to center of 30mm ring? I can't seem to find any info on the Warne website regarding this mount.

Pat