Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xdm Open type gun questions

colbyjack

Got a couple questions guys. Thinking of doing a xdm 9 mm and adding a dot sight.

Sight question

I like the Trijicon RMR sight. Not sure what dot size. 3.5 moa or 6 moa. What do you guys think for USPSA type shooting? Also would one think the LED be better than the fiber/tritium model? Thinking Springer precision makes a mount for the 5.25" but not sure on the 4.5".

Barell length

Since I'll be adding a RMR will the 4.5 be a better option than the 5.25? Just thinking it may because I won't be using the stock sights. What do you think?

Magazines

Stock mags and add the Dawson toolless base pads or the canyon creek base pads and the grams spring and follower CC sells? Not sure of the round count differences. Are they both good? How many rounds does the Dawson 140mm base pads hold? Is it worth the extra money to do a 170mm and is pistol gear the only one who makes them?

Mag well

No idea here. Any help would be nice. What do I look for? All drop in or do I need to cut anything?

Slide lightning

How much does slide cuts cost? Is it worth it? I'll be shooting really light 147gr loads. I do like the look of the slides with the cuts. Any recommendations on who to have do it and ball park price?

I will be doing the trigger job and having the barell hand fit too. This gun is just for fun and may be used in open to get my son a junior member started. Not bringing up a compensater cause I shoot lead. I know I'm a cheap a*- but just being honest. Just looking to build a gun off a xdm platform and adding a dot sight. I think my son will really enjoy it. Any tips or your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys -chris

for magwell and magazine extensions use Pistol Gear...they are the shit and they will not come off until you take them off. the magwells are really nice too...easy to swap out from open to operator for different sizes if need be. i'm running a C-more so I can't help with any opinion on the sight.

I don't know about some of your questions but will answer what I know. Pistol Gear is the only one I know of currently making 170mm extensions (29 rounds). I have three but have not run them much but the little I did was NOT 100%. For just goofing and general use I would stick with 140mm extensions. Yes you might have to reload but honestly, what stage does not have at least ONE spot you can do a quick reload? I have the Dawson magwell becasue they offer one for the #1 backstrap, Pistol Gear does not. I had to do a little dremaling on the inside of the Dawson magwell to get the Pistol Gear extended mags to seat. So, if I was happy with the #2 backstrap, I would go with the Dawson magwell and their "tool-less" baseplates. I really like the easily removable feature of the Dawson baseplate even though they do not come with the smaller (Grams) follower and therefore add one less round than the Pistol Gear. I you are not running an extended barrel to mount a Comp then I would go with the 5.25 and be done. If you ever intend to add a barrel and Comp then go 4.5. Good luck, we need more development of the XDm platform as both a Limited and Open gun.

Thanks for the info. I think I run the #1 also. I use the smallest one. Dawson is out of the ice mag well at this time. Maybe they will have more by time I get the gun. I like the Dawson tooless basepads. And I like the slide staying back on empty. I'm not as good as some folks so its a plus for me. Sounds like the grams follower and spring adds the 1 round but I sacrifice the slide lock.

If I do the 4.5 and add the barell and comp. Will the slow lead and lack of velocity just be a waste? Or should I have it done, use stock barell then ill have the comp and stuff already done when I'm ready....

Would it be stupid to have it done in 40 and have a 9mm barrel fitted also? Or does it not work that easy? Then I'd have minor and major gun. Maybe im thinking too much now... Hahaha. I guess someone makes a thread protecter I could use then just add comp as needed. My son would have a lot of fun using a dot sight. And i think I could use it in our steel matches. I sent springer precision a email, asking their opinion on the 4.5 and 5" models and inquiry on slide lightning cuts. I hope this all works out :)

here's mine...it's been a joy to shoot even though I never have any time to really play with it. it's more setup for STEEL and for the time being it'll stay that way because of time restraints. it took a little tinkering to get it run smooth and like chevyoneton says above.....the 170 mags need some tinkering to run well but the pistol gear 140 extensions are perfect! I run the grams follower and it's not big deal..after a few sessions of shooting you get used to the slide not hanging back. and everyone has told me repeatedly...if you're reloading from slide lock...you've already lost too much time.

post-48412-0-28332500-1384525668_thumb.j

post-48412-0-47044300-1384525775_thumb.j

post-48412-0-80595200-1384525892_thumb.j

Edited by jriggs

Sights: I am thinking the Trijicon does not have lock screws, if my memory serves me correctly. I am currently using the Luepold Deltapoint (7.5 moa) on top of a Carver Competition mount. I am thinking about ordering a C-More STS (3.5 moa). I have ran both dot sizes . . . both sizes have their advantages / disadvantages. Mistakes I have made: (1) mounting a sight on the slide itself. It may seem like a good idea but, shooting multiple matches every month, I constantly had sight issues. (2) I got tired of sending Burris Fastfires in for warranty replacement.

Barrel length: My personal preference, and Scott Springer's advise two years ago, was the 4.5" . . . if you are shooting a comp.

Mag Extensions: You really only need one 170mm and two 140mm. I like to load my barney round from a stock mag . . . that is the fourth mag on my rig. I use Pistol Gear extensions, and can not advise on any other brands.

Magwells: The Dawson will not allow you to seat a stock magazine. The Pistol gear will.

Threaded barrels: I do not think much of the Pistol Gear barrel. I favor the Storm Lake barrel . . . which can be had from Bobby Carver.

Scott Springer: Springer Precision is my go-to gunsmith. He has done all my trigger work, polishing and slide slant cuts.

Compensator: I like Springer's 3 port, myself.

Grip: Even the Springer X grip was not aggressive enough for me. I removed it and did my own using those self-adhesive step grip strips (from the hardware) and epoxy.

Would it be stupid to have it done in 40 and have a 9mm barrel fitted also? Or does it not work that easy? Then I'd have minor and major gun.

I hope it is not stupid, that is what I am doing. I did not start out intending to do it, I just had a .40 S&W XDm to start with and stayed with the caliber when I got my 5.25 because I had a bunch of mags already. .40 minor in Production class is sweet. I have a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in a 4.5 that is 100% and have a Bar-Sto conversion barrel ordered. It may not be the way to go but I am not ready (dollar wise) for another gun and trigger job. That is one reason (a bog one) I went with the Dawson magwell that does not prememnantly alter the gun, otheres do not as well. To sum, I really liked the 5.25 .40 minor PF in USPSA Production class. I have added a magwell and 140mm extensions and next week will start a run at USPSA Limited with full-snort ammo. I will also run this gun, with or without the 9mm conversion barrel, in 3-Gun next year. Sometime in the future I will add an optic and campaign USPSA Open for a while.

What do the conversion barrels cost? Just have them fitted or are they drop in? I have a xdm 5.25 9mm for production. But was thinking maybe a 40 for the limited type gun and a 9mm extra barell and put a cmore dot on the carver mount now. And add a comp. But I don't know what this will cost and not sure if the parts are just bolt one or what I need gunsmith installed. I really want a nice looking gun too and always wanted slide cuts. But I want to do the build once or have it done right.

For a junior member is limited not the class to start out in? I was thinking the dot may be easier for him. And I always wanted a dot to shoot a lil faster. But was trying to see what would be the best spent money. Thanks for all the info guys. Seems every time I look up a barell or part its out of stock for the xdm... kinda a kick in the nuts.

thanks guys for all the info. I sent some one a message before I read your reply. so sorry if you answered the question already.

got a lot to think about. waiting to hear back from springer on how much slide lightning cuts are.

also wondering about if I may like the cmore and carver mount over the slide mount... havent shot either so going in blind.

thinking the 140mm dawson mag bases will be a go. just cant make up my mind on 4.5 or 5.25.... grrr lol thanks guys

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the burris on my slide and I can't stand it. It's coming off and a c more is going on with a carver mount.

From my experience, the Fastfire would stop working within the first 1,500 rounds anyhow!

you are making a smart move :bow:

I'm planning to send my XDm 5.25 to Springer Precision to convert it to an open gun later this month. But Dave's history with slide mounted optics has got me worried. Hate to sell my Trijicon RMR without giving it a try... but I don't want to put up with the hassles he went through either.

post-2837-0-46687700-1392313523_thumb.jp

I'm planning to send my XDm 5.25 to Springer Precision to convert it to an open gun later this month. But Dave's history with slide mounted optics has got me worried. Hate to sell my Trijicon RMR without giving it a try... but I don't want to put up with the hassles he went through either.

We have had no complaints with the Deltapoint or RMR mounted on the 5.25 slides to date, and we've done a bunch of them. Can't say the same about the FF sights, but they do seem to replace them ok.

We have had no complaints with the Deltapoint or RMR mounted on the 5.25 slides to date, and we've done a bunch of them. Can't say the same about the FF sights, but they do seem to replace them ok.

That is true, Burris sent me a brand spanking new Fastfire every time I sent one in. Even the one that was out of warranty, they replaced without charge. And I must say, the Fastfire II setting on top of my open 22 rim fire (Ruger Mark 3) is three years old, and has never given me a single problem.

I saw recently that Jerry Miculek is running a slide mounted optic on his M&P 9L 3-gun pistol, and instead of an external compensator, he had it Mag-na-ported. I'm thinking about building a similar open rig on my XDm 5.25. This thread has given me a lot of info on mgs & mag wells. It also sounds like I should go with either the RMR or the Deltapoint for the optic.

Colbyjack

I had many of the same questions you did. I started a dialogue with Scott Springer because he did such a great job on my XDm 5.25 for Production. Trigger is great. He did everything I asked. When he asked about changing front sight, I opted to stay stock. I will soon fix that error and follow Scott's advice about a thinner front sight. As a result, I've decided to follow his advice on an open XDM.

We are building on a 4.5" pistol using his comp and barrel. Delta Point slide rider dot. Magwell of his choice. Probably his thumb rest too.

Send Scott a note or PM. I don't think he will steer you wrong or try to sell you something you don't need. He has treated me right in every transaction and discussion. That's what we've grown to expect on this forum. Honest dealing is a rare and valuable thing. That's why I support the forum vendors here, and I haven't been disappointed by them yet.

I suspect you'll get similar good advice from Powder River, Canyon Creek, etc. between the big 3 and open shooters there is plenty of great advice.

I have Pistol gear extensions. Not wild about them but haven't totally given up on them yet either.

I have used the Burris Fast Fire sight on glocks. It now resides on a Ruger rim fire because it just can't take the recoil. I have some trepidation about the micro sights as a slide rider but am going with the delta point. I have had great luck with the slide mounted ultra dot on my bullseye wad gun but it is heavy and violent. Dot definitely doesn't return to the target easily with the ultra dot slide rider.

Hope some of this helps.

• 1 month later...

Got my XDm back from Springer Precision today. I thought it looked pretty good before, but now... HOLY COW! Hard to believe they did all that in ONE MONTH!

Everyone has their favorite smith / builder, for one reason or another. Mine is Scott Springer :cheers:

Tested two loads in my XDm today. I had to seat deep because of the short throat on the Bar-Sto barrel, not a problem for me since I don't plan to shoot major. I tried some +P loads I'd developed years ago for my Glock 17L and SAI 1911. Both shot 100%, no malfunctions. I'll try to chronograph them this weekend. I used a 14 lb Wolff Recoil Spring.

The two test loads (hated to use SD bullets but that's all I've got in 115 gr).

Bullet: Winchester 115 gr. JHP

Powder: Winchester WSF 5.7 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

Case: Federal

LOAL: 1.115 (0.839 with Stoney Point)

Powder: Hodgdon HS-6 7.3 grs.

LOAL: 1.115 (0.839 with Stoney Point)

Didn't quite have it sighted in, but here's a 25 yard target shot as fast I could line up the dot. Much prefer the WSF load (which is good because I've got plenty and the HS-6 is almost gone). Sorry about the lousy cellphone picture.

post-2837-0-04770300-1398219125_thumb.jp

Edited by pbcaster45

I finally had a chance to chronograph my two test loads yesterday. Primers showed some flattening but no pierced primers or leakage. Also tried some Montana Gold 124s at 135 PF and those worked 100% also (I was expecting them to stovepipe) It was a little strange seeing less dot movement with the heavier loads than the light ones.

Powder: Winchester WSF 5.7 grs.

LOAL: 1.115 (.839 with Stoney Point)

Avg. Vel.: 1260.13 fps

ES: 21.16

SD: 7.93

Powder: Hodgdon HS-6 7.3 grs.