Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Method for the shotgun spinner target

DDustin

What's the trick to quickly get through the shotgun spinner target? I tried shooting the bottom, then another target, then the top, then another target but I seemed to just waste time and ammo in my attempt to make it go faster and still ended up having to stop that method and just shoot the crap out of it till it flipped. I'd like a more organized game plan. Is there a set method that works quickly?

There are several things that help:

Ammo: heavy #6 23/4 or 3" loads and/or good buckshot (if the range allows it).

Chokes: IC/LM or tighter depending on barrel length

shot placement: some of the 3" loads will take it in one hit, If using light loads try placing 2 to the top and time the bottom hit on the return.

Edited by Sterling White

Here is a good video from one of the guys thats shoots 3 gun at the range that I do. He posted this video on another site about 5 or 6 months ago (not sure if Im allowed to link the posts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfr5Cyi2xa8

Also boomfab posted this on there:

Inside about 15 yards you can spin it in sub 2 seconds with 3 shots from a shotgun with regular birdshot.

Bottom-bottom, wait for backside of top plate to show, then hit it. It usually is right about 1.8 seconds.

OR you can just use a RB^3 shell and blow the whole thing over with one shot.

Sometimes they just don't want to spin. Today our squad was the first to shoot the spinner. Only three or four out of a squad of fourteen managed to get it to spin. The first to spin it did it with only eight shots.

But we did get to see variety in the ways to attack this target. Top first or bottom first? I still don't know. I just know that I really need to find one of these darn things and get some practice on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't seen a shotgun one at a match yet but I know it is only a matter of time before it happens. I did have to shoot one with a rifle once. It was tough! I carry a box of high brass #6 in my bag just in case.

We shoot them a lot at my local match. I usually do 8's and spin them fine. I use a modified choke. I shoot the top once to get it going and then double tap the bottom as it starts to swing towards the back. Luckily MGM targets are located here in Idaho so I now have 1 to practice on at home. Prairie storm can do them in 1 but some places put a penalty on it if you knock the spinner over with shot.

^and several matches have a 1300 fps limit, some a no high brass rule, IPSC shotgun does not allow flite control wads.

Janna Reeves video is here: http://www.elementmultigun.com/videos.html

I can spin them in 3 with the low recoil stuff and 2 with normal 3 dram loads.

I saw a post the other day for a shotgun match that said "no flite control" I thought that was a little strange.