Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How young... Is too young?

Shrek926

So, I've shot competitively for years and the good Lord has blessed me with years (many years) of enjoyment in shooting sports. Now I have children who want to compete, mainly my middle daughter affectionately known as "Emi Jane" who is 8. She has been in shooting stalls with me for several years, saved up her allowance to buy reloading supplies, and gear. Last year she wanted to go see her heroes "The Katie's" Katie Harris, and Katie Francis shoot at the Rockcastle Benelli Shotgun Championship... And her little heart was all in.

Now to the million dollar question:

How do I bump the brakes on her and try to explain she is too young? Or am I wrong if she is manifesting the raw skill, and safety needed?

I'm truly amazed at her desire to learn more than just the actual fundamentals of shooting. We enjoy our time reloading, studying the nuances of finding the perfect load for her Glock 17 and "pinkalicous" AR. The shotgun is still a bit of a challenge for her, but with the help of some great friends and fellow shooters we have starting working on that.

I started my boys at 6 with rimfire rifle, a 4 pound 10/22 with a TS SBX barrel and a suppressor in a Hogue youth stock. By 7 they were shooting .22RF pistols and by 8, the 9mm and AR-15s. At 9 and 11 they shot the Ruger Rimfire Worlds in Tulsa. That was the first time they shot without me, and same for their Mom. They do RRC and Steel Challenge still. At 11, the older one shot some USPSA matches, loaded his own ammo with supervision and started shooting .308s. He had 5 plate runs in Ruger Rimfire under 2 seconds with the pistol. He turned 12 Friday and had to have a license to shoot what he did with the .308 on Saturday.

I don't push them at all, I let them ask. I have however pounded safety into them since age 5. They amaze me.

I started my boys at 6 with rimfire rifle, a 4 pound 10/22 with a TS SBX barrel and a suppressor in a Hogue youth stock. By 7 they were shooting .22RF pistols and by 8, the 9mm and AR-15s. At 9 and 11 they shot the Ruger Rimfire Worlds in Tulsa. That was the first time they shot without me, and same for their Mom. They do RRC and Steel Challenge still. At 11, the older one shot some USPSA matches, loaded his own ammo with supervision and started shooting .308s. He had 5 plate runs in Ruger Rimfire under 2 seconds with the pistol. He turned 12 Friday and had to have a license to shoot what he did with the .308 on Saturday.I don't push them at all, I let them ask. I have however pounded safety into them since age 5. They amaze me.

That's great! And some good words to heed. I've preached (and my wife accused me of "barking orders") about safety. I want to encourage, but without pushing. They are kids, and should enjoy being kids. That said, their fun is sought on the firing range calling shots, and trying to shooter faster and more accurately than their siblings.

I would let her go for it. You know your kids better than anyone, and if they are ready. Before the 1st USPSA match I think I would set up a small course of fire with left, right, and backward movement to make sure she is safe and knows what will be expected.

I would let her go for it. You know your kids better than anyone, and if they are ready. Before the 1st USPSA match I think I would set up a small course of fire with left, right, and backward movement to make sure she is safe and knows what will be expected.

Movement is a major concern for me. But that's the dad in me I believe.

I'm extremely comfortable with the influences and training from others that has gotten us to this point, and really appreciate the input I am getting.

My son shot his first match, an IDPA match, when he was 9 or so. He shot a Walther P22, and we worked on draw with finger off the trigger, pointing the pistol at the target before taking the safety off, and reloading with finger off the trigger. He knew not to go for speed, safety was key. The P22 has a slide-mounted safety that is pushed up, so he trained to push it up with his left thumb after the draw.

I thought it was important that he get used to instruction and control by someone that wasn't dad. He learned a lot from the old codgers that wanted to help.

The best thing was how cool everyone at the match was. They all wanted to see the little kid run-and-gun. He never had a DQ, missed a lot of targets, falling steal was scored if it pinged, and he started beating the old codgers fairly fast. I bet if you train up with a .22 the folks at your local matches will allow it.

He shot his first match with a 1911 .45 at 11. I have video of that, one of my proudest moments.

If done right, this early is ok. I am not saying every kid can do it, some kids don't have the temperament. But if you train separately for safety first then this age is not too young.

Good luck!

Edited by nanopistol

let her do it. be there to help her and provide encouragement and of course for safety.

IMO suggesting to her she is too young may have the opposite affect.....it may drive her away.

i am sure with the proper supervision all with go just fine.

i was shooting at the BRM 3G event and i have a video or two of katie harris that i would be happy to send you a link to if you think your daughter would enjoy viewing it. send me a pm.

eddie

I would take her to a range where she can draw her .22 from a holster and do reloads and such and get her used to being safe and etc. If you feel she has what it takes then talk to the RO on a practice night and explain your situation. He/she might let her run the .22 pistol. The USPSA club I shoot at allows this during a regular match. We have had several young people shoot and it's heartwarming watching them when their .22 knocks down poppers or plates off the dreaded Texas Star! I'm 60+ and it does my heart good to see this also!

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I know many clubs allow young shooter to use .22s in IDPA or USPSA, but until they have shot some SC or RRC matches with no movement, I still think those are the best venues to start out at for kids. I won't let my kids drive a go-cart on the highway...when they can handle it, they can shoot pistol matches with firearms that are suitable for the match. There is some part of a carrot, progress and reward that accompanies shooting a 9mm or .45 at a pistol match when that is what everyone else is shooting. Shooting development is a progression and I did not want to take that from my kids.

Let her shoot,,practice,let her watch videos here,explain what each shooter is doing ,,

It depends on the person also if she is really small stick with the 22 ,,if she can handle a 9 mm let her try...

You have to be judge,,

As a coach/mentor for our local SSC juniors, I don't think there is "too young", having said that, I see a lot of under educated juniors. Take the time to explain safety to her and take her to the range. You are going to be the best gauge of how ready she is. Rim fire in a static position is the best way to get any first time competitor's feet wet, I've had great success with the 22/45 and SR22 platforms.

Mark, any suggestions on .22 pistol set-ups for younger shooter to use in matches?

Mine have used several and I have basically defaulted back to a bull barreled Ruger Mark II for matches. They had a harder time with the trigger on the SIG and they did not like the Buckmark. I have 22/45s, a 4" standard weight with a suppressor and a Lite. The lite is too lite, the suppressed one is about the same balance as the Mark II, but with the suppressor, can't pick up the shots on some timers.

The Mark II has a better trigger than the 22/45s and the LCI, magazine disconnect are reliability detractors. If having all the safeties from the factory are important to you, then find an older Mark II in a 4 or 5 inch. If not, then a 22/45 with a bushing and LCI filler would be my suggestion. In either case, a VQ trigger really makes them purr even better. :) That 22/45 makes a great general use pistol and a decent trainer when they move up to centerfires.

Mark, any suggestions on .22 pistol set-ups for younger shooter to use in matches?

I echo Marks suggestion. Emi Jane loved her Advantage Arms conversion for her Glock 17, but with the load we are running with a 147gr plated and 11 lb spring she is all 9mm now. I think a step back to the rim fire to get some remedial work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My grandson has been shooting since the age of 2, I held the gun and he pulled the trigger. Very careful with lead and washing up. He began shooting steel matches when he was 6 with a ruger 22. He started shooting IPSC when he was 7 and joined the USPSA at 8. He is ten now and just started shooting open division. During all these matches he was DQed by me once and once by another RO for the same mistakes that adults make. When he started shooting IPSC there were those a little uncomfortable with him because of his age. But as he progressed he got better and he is a well known fixture around here now. He was even on the outdoor Shooting Gallery this past January. Yeah, Im proud of him.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad bought me a Ruger 22/45 when I turned 5 years old. I have some great memories of talking him into taking me out to shoot after work. I've been hooked on shooting in some way or another since then. I hope to start mine (if/when that day comes) out at about the same age!