Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks Paul.

But I need to know how to put a DVD video on a 30G Apple Ipod.

The girl can't figue it out. I don't know nuthin' about one.

Just lookin' for a little help. Something about converting the DVD to Quick Time or sumpthin'. And how do I download the DVD to my computer and then convert it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
the 4g ipod verges on really good finally, except for codec support. If it weren't for reliability issues with the hitachi hard drive in the rio karma, I'd recommend it exclusively. It is also about to be replaced soon in theory, so it is also kind of hard to find. (it supports ogg vorbis which is probably one of if not the best sounding lossy codec, it supports FLAC for those of you who like to swap live recordings, it has a true 5 band parametric EQ for just plain old sounding good, and it has gapless playback for those of you who like listening to whole albums or live shows with out crossfading or a second or two of silence in between.)

If you are running windows, the best thing out there for extracting from your CD collection is eaxact audio copy. If you have to put it into MP3 format, your best choice of encoder is LAME. If you want a more user friendly ripping experience with almost as good results, get CDEX and set it on full paranoid.

Personally, I think MP3 sounds pretty bad, so the ipods have been out of the question for me. Other than the 4g, their battery life is attrocious as well. MP3 tends to have poor bass response at volume and pretty much all the players out there exacerbate the problem without the help of a decent eq or headphone pre-amp.

If you are not terribly picky about how your music sounds and never play anything loud, the ipod should keep you pretty happy.

[uhh, that's EXACT audio copy.. should you actually try and feed it to google or somesuch]

Are you saying the Ipod supports FLAC or the rio. I have a bunch of music in FLAC and would like to listen to it on the train.

Adam

Are you saying the Ipod supports FLAC or the rio. I have a bunch of music in FLAC and would like to listen to it on the train.

Adam

The karma does. Unfortunately RIO is no more. However, what was to be the successor to the karma is now the sigmatell 3600 and it's being shopped to other manufacturers. So it's a used karma, or wait for the sigmatel parts to be integrated into another maker's gadget.

I hope it's soon as my karma is starting to have drive issues. In theory they have at least one big-ish maker on board as of CES, but nobody is talking yet.

I recently got a 60GB IPOD. Coolest audio device ever. Ended 10+ years of having CD's floating all over the place and never being able to find them. Just wish it was easier to plug into my car without using a crummy FM xmitter.

If you've got a tape deck, get one of those tape deck converters. Yeah, there's some hiss, but it's worlds better than the FM transmitter. If you're willing to dump some dough: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/c...rgers-and-kits/

No tape deck in my 05 XTerra. If I want to remain with an OEM (ie, non-crack-induced) look, I can buy a 05 R-F head unit off eBay and get the XM to AUX convertor. Alternatively, I could just replace the head unit, but anymore they look more like a rave than a piece of equipment with a good human interface.

The $17 Scosche FM xmitter from Walmart is the sleeper, if you have the same problem.

Alternatively, I could just replace the head unit,

I had the same reluctance, but finally broke down and did it. Bought an Alpine head unit and their iPod interface.

Head unit fully controls the iPod (can pick playlists, artists, shuffle settings, etc), and although the interface isn't as clean as a click-wheel, the sound is *way* better than an iTrip/FM interface.

Having a few thousand favorite tunes to crank through the car is a wonderful thing!

Bruce

Adam

To put FLAC files on my iPod, I converted them to MP3s with FLACer.

be

Edited by benos

The kid next door just got the 30GB IPOD and ran into the same question.

He contacted the people at IPOD (Apple) and they told him the couple options and even what software to buy. I think it cost about $30 and he was off and running.

I watched a movie on it last night.

I don't know what the program was but I can check.