Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 mag well

G17

I'm looking for a magwell that's compatible with the medium back strap of a gen 4. The majority of mag wells produced for Gen 4's are to be used without a back strap. I had found one not too long ago that is made specifically for the medium strap but now i can't remember which one it is. Or has anyone had any luck modifying the straps so that they'll work? Any recommendations? Frame just feels so small in my hand without a back strap.

Dawson Precision makes magwells compatible with the different back straps. I haven't tried one yet but it's on my shopping list. I've been using the gen 4 medium beaver tail back strap and it fits my hand really well. I agree that the small just does not feel right.

Yah i plan on getting one as soon as they come back in stock. I will be putting it on a glock that is olive drab so i plan on getting the black. Considering the rest of the parts are black i think the silver won't look right on my specific model. Thanks for everyones input.

I was trying to backorder one for my G17 Gen 4 with the medium backstrap the other day. It said out of stock, I added it to my cart, checked out, and then it was at my house two days later. Not sure why they're showing out of stock, but maybe try calling and asking if they have any.

They may have just forgot to put it in stock or something. I called Dawson a few weeks about sighting options and they said they make batches of products every week or so, so stuff usually isn't out very long. Considering they're the only company that sells magwell for gen 4 glocks that fit with back straps i'm sure theres a bit of a demand for them. I don't know if they actually make the mag wells themselves or someone else does it for them. Either way thanks for the info, that's good to know you got it so soon. Are you happy with the product?

I posted on a similar topic a while back, but not sure where it is! I ran a ZEV magwell, and trimmed the bottom of the backstraps so that any of the four would fit on the gun. I cut along the same line where the magwell meets, then used a smooth head bolt instead of a set screw to hold the plug in place. It worked well for me, never had any issues!

I am running Zev magells with the factory medium beavertail on both our 34's. I had to do a slight bit of Dremel work on the beavertail to make it work. The bottom of the beavertail had to be relieved to allow the magwell plug to slide in. Remove less than 1/8" of material. Nothing from the frame.