Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 trimmed lenght

ffgats

I know Im not the only one that loves to shoot their AR's but hate to reload the ammo, I dont mind the main loading part, but its the case preparation. Mind you I got a Giraud Trimmer.

My question is or my plans is to TRIM THE CASE to almost its minimum 1.740 so I can still have 3-4 reloads before the next trimming. My only concern about this lenght is there might some issues of escape gas and my accuracy will suffer, RCBS with their XDIE recommends this lenght. any feedback is welcome. thanks

One problem with not trimming ever time is if you pick up a piece of range brass and its long and you load it will likely malfunction at the worst possible time. I trim with a Dillon trimmer every time I load 223.

I had a bunch of .223 brass. First I culled out LC v. all other brass. I measured the length of all the LC.

Next i trimmed with a Dillon trimmer all the long brass. Since this was LC, I swaged the brass.

What a PIA-- so I said &@*$*@* and called Top Brass. I sent in all my brass.

I should receive my 1000 rounds of processed brass tomorrow.

Brass prep is just not my cup of tea.

SAMMI for 223 Rem is 1.760"

Sierra lists the trim length @ 1.750"

the only harm with going shorter is the loss of neck tension. The neck starts at 1.557 so at SAMMI you have 0.203".

TTL @ 1.750 drops it to 0.193 or 5 %. 1.740 would bring it to 0.183 or 10% less.

I don't think the gasses will be an issue but neck tension could. Trim a couple, like 30, and see if the accuracy suffers.

I believe he is saying that you could experiment with a couple @ 1.730 if you wished to see how they might retain the bullet and also check the accuracy. His point is that the SAAMI length is stated as 1.760 but that Sierra shows a trim length of 1.750 which would allow ten thousandths for growth.

I had some cases a while back that I had trimmed too short by accident when I was setting up my 1200 trimmer they were 1.742 or so and they had almost no neck tension.

I am not sure where you are getting 1.730 as all the manuals I have list it at 1.750 and I just searched on line and saw the same.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I believe he is saying that you could experiment with a couple @ 1.730 if you wished to see how they might retain the bullet and also check the accuracy. His point is that the SAAMI length is stated as 1.760 but that Sierra shows a trim length of 1.750 which would allow ten thousandths for growth.

I was saying you could try to trim to 1.740 and see what you get.

It could be my imagination, but letting cases go to .750-55 improved accuracy over .730ish. I was after the same thing - more loads per trim. What I found to be better than that was reducing FL sizing as much as MY chamber would allow to reduce growth after each load cycle. I can't even measure the difference between length in some cases after they've been shot and sized multiple times. Also extends the life if brass by preventing work hardening.

• 1 month later...

A lot of Federal FC headstamp brass runs 1.730-1.740 even after firing. I still run it through my trimmer when I'm processing, but only one in 10 cases or less is over 1.750.

My dad shot competitive bench rest for a while and always trimmed 0.010 below the recommended trim-to length so he would only have to do it once (he did win quite often as well). So bottom line I'd say ... don't worry about it.