Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame to slide tightening

G17

Ok, i posted this same question over at Glocktalk and basically the consensus was it's the absolutely worst, most terrible, stupid, ridiculous thing you could ever do to a Glock and you should be burned at the stake just for thinking of asking the question. I made a mistake thinking you could ask those Glock Nazi's anything over there. I'll try you guys, people who actually use their pistols in competition.

Note: I'm not asking this question because i'm curious about it for myself, but for the sake of learning more about what people do to get the most out of their competition Glocks.

While rooting around on SJC's website i notice that they offer the service of frame to slide fitting on Glock's. It also comes standard in some of their builds. I was just curious if any of you have ever tried it or even know how they do it. I never thought that anyone would even consider it until i saw that it was a service they offer. I use some sjc parts as do a lot of you guys i'm sure, and consider them to be a reputable company. I couldn't imagine them offering a service to people if it didn't benefit you in some sort of way.

Thanks

According to the book I read "Glock's in Competition" The reasoning for this is to improve the trigger pull only. If you look at you slide when you pull the trigger it jumps a bit when you pull the trigger. This will take some of the jump out of it and give you better pull. I have done it to mine per the instructions in the book and it does make a difference. It's not for the faint of heart as your hitting you slide with a hammer. Hope this helps.

Edited by rangerguy

I think the answers you received on GT basically told you the barrel lock up is more important than slide to frame fit on a Glock.

I know that was my answer.

Yah, i think yours and made in Austria were the only decent posts. I figured you'd see this as so far you're the only one that i'v seen with the same username on both forums. Most of the other responses were like condemning actually having the service done, but thats not really what thread was about. I was more curious as to how SJC might possibly go about doing it and if anyone has had it done. If i was going to get the awnsers i was looking for i should have probably asked it here first, as it relates more to competition.

I haven't really been on GlockTalk or here that long, but i notice on Glocktalk the users seem more intent on keeping their Glock's stock and anything other that is blasphomy. Idk, i'v been reading on this forum a lot longer then i have been posting and people just seem a little more civil and mature here.

Edited by G17

According to the book I read "Glock's in Competition" The reasoning for this is to improve the trigger pull only. If you look at you slide when you pull the trigger it jumps a bit when you pull the trigger. This will take some of the jump out of it and give you better pull. I have done it to mine per the instructions in the book and it does make a difference. It's not for the faint of heart as your hitting you slide with a hammer. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, that does make sense. I had plans on getting that book at some point. Could you explain a little more about what part of the trigger felt better? Did it just make it a little smoother, or break easier? Interesting. I did notice that jump in dry fire without a dummy round but didn't know it effected the trigger.

Edited by G17

It's the way the trigger works. As part of the built in safety you of course know that the striker is partially cocked with the striker catching on the trigger bar when the weapon is charged. Then when you pull the trigger it pushes back the striker with the tang of the trigger bar on the leg of the striker. The angle of the connector and the round end of the trigger bar rides down as it goes back (which is why having a smooth polish helps) dropping the bar off the leg as it is pushed down by the connector releasing the compressed striker spring driving the striker forward. When you tighten the slide to frame fit then some other issues can arrive in the area of striker leg and trigger bar tab length and angle. The slide isn't as easily moved with the striker spring compression and you can shorten the leg and tab with work and dramatically improve the trigger pull release

Lol that prob doesn't make sense. Sounded good in my head. The reason you see an armorers end plate is so you can see the amount of engagement between the striker leg and trigger bar release tab. The angle of the tab as it meets the striker and the smoothness between the two is a critical factor. If you take to much then you will get doubling and early striker release making the gun unsafe. Remember you will never get a 1911 style trigger just for the simple fact of how the trigger works.

No it completely makes sense. I see what your saying though about how if the slide is tighter it might effect the way the trigger bar area on top releases the striker lug. I'm sure a few things would need to be adjusted. I have an orange armorer plate, i just don't think i trust myself to tune those areas. BTW if anyone is interested, i couldn't find this until now which is why i originally asked this question, but someone else basically made the same thread on this forum a few years back and it has some good information. Here is the link.. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109156

I haven't read the book, but I did this on one of my G34s years ago.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Not to be mean, but you did say within your post that you wanted to know... {but for the sake of learning more about what people do to get the most out of their competition Glocks.]

I have been running Glock's in competition for better than a decade and the single best thing I have ever done to them is....Shoot the Hell out of them!

Behind that are mods in order of importance Sights, trigger (without even considering frame to slide work) , grip tape. Well behind those is Magwell. So far down it don't matter barrel.

I'm a Glock "purist" but that's mostly due to the fact that I carry the same Glock that I compete with (Glock 19). The comment above about shooting the hell outta a Glock does address the trigger issues. I did expedidte the trigger "clean up" process by using Tetra grease at the contact between the trigger bar and striker. Once this was "polished down" by means of shooting at the range and dry firing, the trigger lost all the "nastiness" that many people complain about. I am not adverse to people trying anything to improve the performence of their particular weapon but I do try to guide them to read Dale Rhea's writings re: tweaking Glocks. This guy is the ultimate Glock tweaker and does things that would make most of us blanch in fear.

Oh Yes, I agree that replacing the factory sights is #1a on the list. 1b is the trigger (as I see it). The sights are 1a because I have seen the factory front sight actually fly off too many Glocks.

Dave Sevigny won the USPSA national chanpionship with a near STOCK Glock 34. albeit several years ago.

Note: I'm not asking this question because i'm curious about it for myself, but for the sake of learning more about what people do to get the most out of their competition Glocks.

I've never had this conversation with any top Glock shooter.

See my post on the other thread that you linked, but re-read the last few lines that P.E. Kelly wrote.