Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter... 1911 or 2011

Jasonatlaw

Ok I've been to watch. I've shot my first match. (USPSA) I want a new gun (who doesn't right?).

I'm a 1911 guy and always loved the idea of the 2011 platform. I recently bought an STI Perfect 10 thinking it would change my life. Well it didn't change my life and I now I know its too heavy to be serious with USPSA. (If only I had listened to my wizened old friend who tried to steer me right.)

So the question is this: I am going to get a different gun. And if I get my money back out of the Perfect 10 I could potentially get a pretty nice one. Should I get a 1911 (which I love) and shoot single stack and maybe limited 10? Or should I step up to the 2011 for limited? I figure most really good shooters will gravitate toward the limited gun, so maybe I could be more competitive more quickly with SS...

I think I could learn to love the 2011.

Thoughts?

Take that 10mm Talk to a good gun builder make it a .40 and lighten the slide. You really have a perfect blank, long slide long dust cover. A good smith ( if you can find one close to you ) can cut it into any 2011 made. Or sell it and find one you like.

I figure most really good shooters will gravitate toward the limited gun, so maybe I could be more competitive more quickly with SS...

If your goal is to find a small enough division that you can place 'better' in it due to lack of participation, then just get a revolver.

OTOH, if you typed the above quote by mistake, and you are interested in learning and improving your own skill and having fun, then figure out which will be more fun for you, and then practice and dry-fire and work on improving. IMHO, the competitive results are a byproduct of my improvement, not the actual goal.

Whether I shoot production or L10, I measure myself against ALL the other iron-sight shooters at local matches.

Edited by motosapiens

I was asking myself a very similar question a few weeks ago and went with the 1911. I personally just love that platform the best of any firearm I have ever shot. Single Stack/ESP is fun for me but I am also like Moto and compare myself with everyone on the playing field and not just in my division. IMHO, go with the pistol that makes you look forward to practice.

Limited is a great class for beginners (like myself). If for no other reason, less mag changes. I started shooting USPSA in late June this year. So far I have done 6 matches. One of those I shot single stack. While I had fun I had my hands full with mag changes on each stage. For a newbie the more simple you can make it, the better. Also remember if you shoot single stack your holster position and mag pouch position are not the same as Limited/Limited-10.

I started in SS .45 then dropped to minor 9mm. I like SS or production to start with. Cause as a beginner you learn stage breakdown, reloads, scoring and the fact that you can win unless you shhot A's fast as you can. All the stuff we should learn. Lol

Limited is a great class for beginners (like myself). If for no other reason, less mag changes. I started shooting USPSA in late June this year. So far I have done 6 matches. One of those I shot single stack. While I had fun I had my hands full with mag changes on each stage. For a newbie the more simple you can make it, the better. Also remember if you shoot single stack your holster position and mag pouch position are not the same as Limited/Limited-10.

I did find myself having trouble with the some mag changes.

I started in SS .45 then dropped to minor 9mm. I like SS or production to start with. Cause as a beginner you learn stage breakdown, reloads, scoring and the fact that you can win unless you shhot A's fast as you can. All the stuff we should learn. Lol

The first hand gun I ever shot was an ss .45, I now own two of them. As a Matt stated it teaches you everything - and shooting a ss well is a very cool feeling especially a .45!

Ok, I'm going to offer a different perspective. The quickest path to GM or any target level is to shoot open first, then Lim, then Lim10, Prod, SS and finally revolver. You learn how to shoot in practice, but you learn how to race at the match. When starting out in a spec class your learning process is handicapped by the designed division limitations. In single stack you start off seeing the world in buckets of eight and you painstakeingly fire every shot because of the additional recoil and the risk of taking another mag change. The additional felt recoil also makes it take longer to learn to track the sights well and you shoot less because of the cost to reload. My GM coach tried to explain this to me, but I didn't understand untill I switched to Limited. Once in Limited I learned how to really break down stages for the purity of motion rather than the false necessity of 8rd reloads. I was much more willing to push the speed and you can't learn to go fast untill you actually start to go fast. Once I made Master in Lim, I went back to my true interest in SS and am now a much better single stack shooter for the experience. Now I always encourage people to start in Limited or Open if they can. Get the 2011.

If your goal is to find a small enough division that you can place 'better' in it due to lack of participation, then just get a revolver.

Aren't you the 2013 Idaho Section Champion in Limited-10, where you chose to compete against a whopping 4 other L-10 shooters rather than the 54 shooters who were competing in Limited Division?

People who live in glass houses...... ;)

What does, what mean? The gun is heavy that's all I mean. It would be nice for bulls eye shooting. A bit heavy to run and gun.

The best IPSC shooters in the world use heavy guns, so I'm still not sure what you mean by it being too heavy.

[typed with fat fingers on a small screen]

Aren't you the 2013 Idaho Section Champion in Limited-10, where you chose to compete against a whopping 4 other L-10 shooters rather than the 54 shooters who were competing in Limited Division?

People who live in glass houses...... ;)

Why didn't you quote my whole post? Why leave out this part:

Whether I shoot production or L10, I measure myself against ALL the other iron-sight shooters at local matches.

When you hear me brag about the result you referred to, or put it in a signature (or even mention it), please mock me for it.

I'd rather look at my overall finish, and I was happy with that. I shot L10 to prepare for nationals, and because that's the gun I have.

back to the thread topic...

Edited by motosapiens

Update: I shot the Perfect 10 more this weekend. It really does shoot nice. I was amazed how well I could hit at 50 yrds with it.

I'm still not sure if I should hang on to it or let it go; but I have decided to keep my eyes open for a higher end 1911. Thoughts on some of the better 1911's? I know there are a lot of great customs or semi customs out there.

Thanks for all the tips.

Update: I shot the Perfect 10 more this weekend. It really does shoot nice. I was amazed how well I could hit at 50 yrds with it.

I'm still not sure if I should hang on to it or let it go; but I have decided to keep my eyes open for a higher end 1911. Thoughts on some of the better 1911's? I know there are a lot of great customs or semi customs out there.

Thanks for all the tips.

I would not get too caught up on getting a custom build. A stock STI (whether a 1911 or 2011) is a very good gun and will take you far in this game. Furthermore, hold off on getting a custom build until you are in the sport longer and know exactly what you like, what you shoot well and what suits the division you plan on competing in. Definitely ask around and try out equipment at your local club before buying you next gun.

The only thing wrong with that perfect 10 is the caliber, otherwise it's a great gun. You just don't see much 10mm in USPSA.

Where are you located?