Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal starting condition for CZ-75BD in Limited

JesseM

I've been thinking about shooting my CZ-75BD in limited for the fun of it and for a change of pace from shooting a Glock in Production.

When shooting limited do I have to decock the gun or can I start from SA mode?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are shooting limited you can either be cocked with the safety engaged, or de-cocked.

8.1.2 Self-loading Pistols:
8.1.2.1 “Single action” – chamber loaded, hammer cocked, and the safety engaged.
8.1.2.2 “Double action” – chamber loaded, hammer fully down or decocked.
8.1.2.3 “Selective action” – chamber loaded with hammer fully down, or chamber loaded and hammer cocked with external safety engaged (see Divisions in Appendix D).
8.1.2.4 With respect to Rules 8.1.2.1 and 8.1.2.3, the term “safety” means the primary visible safety lever on the handgun (e.g. the thumb safety on a “1911” genre handgun). In the event of doubt, the Range Master is the final authority on this matter.

I know its not that hard, I can do it with no problem dry firings. Just a little concerned that my finger might slip in competition. Aside from that what is the down side, if any, in shooting in limited 10 rather than production.

Minor scoring

The reason: in Production all shooters, regardless of caliber are score as Minor (making your 9mm CZ just as competitive as anything else); in Limited 10 your 9mm CZ is scored as Minor while shooters shooting .40s and .45s are scored Major (not to mention they have long barrels/slides/sight radii, big mag wells, thumb rests, sub 2# icicle break 2mm travel triggers and other go fast goodies like that :devil: ).

OK, but isn't everything scored as minor in production anyway?

edit - the previous post was not there when I asked this.

OK, I get that. But since I am a fairly new shooter and certainly will not be finishing in the top five unless there are less than five people, does it really matter. I would rather shoot the first shot single action rather than double action.

Edited by kirbinster

OK, but isn't everything scored as minor in production anyway?

yes, but not in limited.

I was a totally new shooter less than 2 years ago. I've managed to manually decock my 75b about a billion times without issue. As an RO at some big matches I've seen many many other people manually decock their shadows and 75's without issues. I really don't think it's worth worrying about. I find myself manually decocking my 1911 sometimes.

Now the OP has a different problem, since he has no safety. His gun MUST be decocked (with the decocker, or manually, makes no diff) before it is holstered.

Edited by motosapiens

Thanks, I understand the scoring. But as I said I am really at this point only interested in competing against myself - I know I am not going to come close to winning anything. So, I will get scored minor be it in production or limited 10. The difference is as I understand it that I can start locked and cocked in limited 10 while in production I have to start hammer down. I also have a Beretta 92FS which has a decocker, I just don't particularly like (read - I am not very good yet) shooting in DA mode so I would like to avoid that. I have shot my .40 cal G22 in limited 10 as major, but I rather get some experience with the CZ. So, while I understand what everyone is saying, I think for me right now limited 10 is probably the best answer. I am open to hearing why I am wrong - just be nice :)

Thanks, I understand the scoring. But as I said I am really at this point only interested in competing against myself - I know I am not going to come close to winning anything. So, I will get scored minor be it in production or limited 10. The difference is as I understand it that I can start locked and cocked in limited 10 while in production I have to start hammer down. I also have a Beretta 92FS which has a decocker, I just don't particularly like (read - I am not very good yet) shooting in DA mode so I would like to avoid that. I have shot my .40 cal G22 in limited 10 as major, but I rather get some experience with the CZ. So, while I understand what everyone is saying, I think for me right now limited 10 is probably the best answer. I am open to hearing why I am wrong - just be nice :)

If you're just shooting against yourself you might as well shoot limited, then you can load your mags all the way up.

All the way up in the People's Republic of New Jersey is only 15. An empty 16 round mag earns you a few years in a cell with Bubba. I rather stick to 10 anyway so I get to practice my magazine changes.

Then first step limited-10. Second step leave NJ.

Now the OP has a different problem, since he has no safety. His gun MUST be decocked (with the decocker, or manually, makes no diff) before it is holstered.

Not quite correct. Decocker equipped guns must be decocked using the decocker -- decocking them by using the trigger results in a match DQ:

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading. Exception: while complying with the “Make Ready” command to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking lever, or while initially loading a revolver with a spurless hammer.

I just don't particularly like (read - I am not very good yet) shooting in DA mode so I would like to avoid that.

IMHO, this is an extremely limiting attitude. It makes sense to me to work on the things you are not good at rather than avoiding them. Honestly, it only took me a week or so of doing dryfire drills (10-15 mins/day) to go from 'not very good' to 'comfortable' with DA shots.

Not quite correct. Decocker equipped guns must be decocked using the decocker -- decocking them by using the trigger results in a match DQ:

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading. Exception: while complying with the “Make Ready” command to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking lever, or while initially loading a revolver with a spurless hammer.

Yikes!!! Thanks for posting that. I rarely shoot my decocker-cz's, but when I do, I always manually decock them too (habit). I'll have to paste a sticky note on the grip or something if I ever shoot one in a match.

, I just don't particularly like (read - I am not very good yet) shooting in DA mode so I would like to avoid that.

Read this: http://pistol-training.com/articles/fear-not-the-double-action-shot

Later,

Chuck

Can you check the link, I would like to read it but can't get it to work.

Yes, down the road I would like to get better with the double action. I have practiced it on my Beretta 92FS, but no matter what I am never going to be as good with it as with single action. Thus, I rather not risk pulling the first shot on each stage.

EDIT--- Very strange, could not get the link to work as posted but when I picked it from the email notification it works. It shows up this way http://pistol-training.com/articles/fear-not-the-double-action-shot which looks the same but works. Go figure.

Edited by kirbinster

, I just don't particularly like (read - I am not very good yet) shooting in DA mode so I would like to avoid that.

Read this: http://pistol-training.com/articles/fear-not-the-double-action-shot

Later,

Chuck

Can you check the link, I would like to read it but can't get it to work.

Yes, down the road I would like to get better with the double action. I have practiced it on my Beretta 92FS, but no matter what I am never going to be as good with it as with single action. Thus, I rather not risk pulling the first shot on each stage.

EDIT--- Very strange, could not get the link to work as posted but when I picked it from the email notification it works. It shows up this way http://pistol-training.com/articles/fear-not-the-double-action-shot which looks the same but works. Go figure.

Weird that the link stopped working. Oh well, it must be the same guys as health care. Here's the PDF:fearnot.pdf