Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special bullet for indoor IDPA

FWSixgunner

I can probably count on my fingers and toes (and yes, I have normal amounts of each) how many rounds I've shot indoors. Some of my guns haver never tasted copper.

So I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive plated or FMJ for IDPA revolver as most matches are indoor.

I looked at Berrys on Midway, but a lot of reviews indicate variances in diameter.

Many thanks.

I can probably count on my fingers and toes (and yes, I have normal amounts of each) how many rounds I've shot indoors. Some of my guns haver never tasted copper.

So I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive plated or FMJ for IDPA revolver as most matches are indoor.

I looked at Berrys on Midway, but a lot of reviews indicate variances in diameter.

Many thanks.

You will have a hard time finding jacketed .357 diameter RN bullets for the 38 over 150 grains in weight. I like the Berrys plated 158 DSRN for indoor shooting, but struggle to make minor PF with 4" 38 K frame.

Like others have mentioned go with 160 Bayou's or 170 Billy's

Go moly coated you'll love em and cost wise it makes it worthwhile to switch over completely, not just for indoor. I switched everything except my race gun over to moly coated from Bayou bullets, couldn't be happier and I was able to use the same load data after switching over and they leave the barrel a lot cleaner than the bare lead I was using previously. Also bayou has a ton of different styles for 38/357 so you can really dial in what you want

You will have a hard time finding jacketed .357 diameter RN bullets for the 38 over 150 grains in weight. I like the Berrys plated 158 DSRN for indoor shooting, but struggle to make minor PF with 4" 38 K frame.

What discipline are you referring to where you need to make minor? I thought IDPA SSR was 125, pretty easy to do with 158s in .38 spl.

Tanks for the Bayou referral, the bullets look perfect and they're very responsive to my questions.

Edited by FWSixgunner

I believe under the rule change the power factor for SSR went to 105, that's what I've heard anyhow. If they'd back off ESR I'd be happy because launching 230 gr at 740 fps to avoid any close chrono calls is a little rough out of a 4" barrel.

I believe under the rule change the power factor for SSR went to 105, that's what I've heard anyhow. If they'd back off ESR I'd be happy because launching 230 gr at 740 fps to avoid any close chrono calls is a little rough out of a 4" barrel.

SSR is 105 PF

IDPA SSR is a 105 PF. A 158 bullet @ 675 fps makes it. That's light if any steel activators are involved in the COF. Most SSR shooters load to 115 - 120 PF. But, on an indoor range you might not have to deal with steel because of the bullets heading upwards. Every indoor range (including the Blackwater Shoot Houses) use just paper targets. A 105 PF is fine for those.

For indoors, Rainier 158 plated RN, propelled by Clays... is REAL clean and smoke free. I've used them in IDPA and ICORE, and they are also very uniform and accurate. If Clays isn't available, then Win 231/HP 38 also works at the 115 PF levels, but you might want to brush your chambers every 30-40 rounds. It leaves a residue that can impede extraction.

Hope that helps.

What discipline are you referring to where you need to make minor? I thought IDPA SSR was 125, pretty easy to do with 158s in .38 spl.

Tanks for the Bayou referral, the bullets look perfect and they're very responsive to my questions.

Quit playing IDPA sometime ago, did not realize PF was 105 now. I could make Minor with 158 RNL, but 158 Plated bullets out of my 1954 K Frame was a little more difficult . It can be done, but was +P getting there. Did not care to run that in my vintage K Frame. However hardcast 158 with roll crimp would get there with less powder than the plated bullets with taper crimp. As with all things reloading , YMMV.

Ah perfect! Clays is what I want to use. I have an unopened lb from when I loaded 7/8 oz 12 gauge. Yes it is super clean!

For some reason Clays gets slammed as a pistol powder on other forums. I wonder if the detractors have ever tried it.

Clays is a very fast burning powder. So a little goes a long ways. But if you're looking to make Major PF, it's going to be a no go.

It also depends on where you live. Since it is a temperature sensitive powder, it may sabotage you on the chrony at a Majors on a cold day.

I love it for minor loads in 9mm, .45 and .40. Nice and fluffy so It's easier to spot a possible double charge when reloading.

I love clays in my revolvers because I am lazy, my 38 is somewhere north of 500 rounds with our even brushing the chambers and the brass still drops right out and the new ones slip right in.

That said for indoor ranges I would go with a played or jacketed bullet as they smoke even less than the molleys

Mike